Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my first Glock a G19 gen4 several months ago pretty much on a whim. I really tried to like this thing and it did feel better than the gen3 but just not happing. So it's going to go in the next week or so.
The reason to the post here is that it will be replaced by either an XD 9 4" (I already have the XD .45) or a FS M&P 9. I have a couple other M&P's and really like them. I'm new the the XD series but do have a Springfield RO.
Does anyone have any experience with both the XD 9 and M&P FS 9 and care to comment. At the moment I'm pretty much in the middle of the road, maybe leaning slightly toward the M&P.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Wanna help feed an American? :confused:

If so the choice is clear.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
Keep leaning.

I've owned XD's and XDm's, as well as M&P's.

There's no XD's around here anymore...while the M&P is one of my quick access pistols.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Im sure a thread like this is why you decided to go buy a Gen 4 Glock. Everyone offered their opinion and the general consesus was get a G19.

Well, to save you the trouble again, Id advise against referencing what someone else "feels" or think of your two alternative choices. I like them both. Prefer the M&P.

Are you able to rent firearms in your area?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im sure a thread like this is why you decided to go buy a Gen 4 Glock. Everyone offered their opinion and the general consesus was get a G19.

Well, to save you the trouble again, Id advise against referencing what someone else "feels" or think of your two alternative choices. I like them both. Prefer the M&P.

Are you able to rent firearms in your area?
Actually, no. It felt fine in the store and it is an order of magnitude better then the gen 3. However I just don't like the way it shoots. IMHO the recoil on the g19 is less manageable than the recoil on the XD 45. Even though the ergonomics of the gen 4 are a big improvement over the gen 3, after awhile it still started to feel like a block of wood in my hand.
I don't take anything I read on the Internet as the final word but I was hoping for some useful valid opinions.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I haven't had trigger time on the M&P line but I have handled a bunch. They are really nice feeling pistols. The XD9 was my first pistol. I loved it. It was awesome to shoot and very accurate. You can't go wrong with either. Be sure to post some pics when you make a choice.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Actually, no. It felt fine in the store and it is an order of magnitude better then the gen 3. However I just don't like the way it shoots. IMHO the recoil on the g19 is less manageable than the recoil on the XD 45. Even though the ergonomics of the gen 4 are a big improvement over the gen 3, after awhile it still started to feel like a block of wood in my hand.
I don't take anything I read on the Internet as the final word but I was hoping for some useful valid opinions.
Understood.
In that case:

IMHO,
Trigger: M&P
Ergos: M&P
Accuracy: Slightly M&P post ~May 2013
Aftermarket support: Equal
Reliability: Equal
Customer service: Equal

And as already stated, support American jobs.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Oh, By the way, Try the large grip backstrap on the gen4. I never used them on my G26 or on my XDMc 45 but with the 19 Gen4 it made the grip feel much better. I don't have huge hands, this is why I never used these on other pistols. With the large backstrap my hands just fall into the right position and it feel very comfortable. Just a thought. Talk it for what it's worth. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, By the way, Try the large grip backstrap on the gen4. I never used them on my G26 or on my XDMc 45 but with the 19 Gen4 it made the grip feel much better. I don't have huge hands, this is why I never used these on other pistols. With the large backstrap my hands just fall into the right position and it feel very comfortable. Just a thought. Talk it for what it's worth. :mrgreen:
I've tried all of the backstraps, none of them quite did it for me. Don't get me wrong the Glock is a good gun and reliable, they just don't work for me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Understood.
In that case:

IMHO,

Pretty much the answers I've come to as well. Also based on what I've seen of the guts of the XD the M&P trigger is more easily tuned as well as better out of the box. I do like the XD .45 and it will be staying but for the G19 replacement I'm going with the M&P.
With one caveat, both the XD and M&P are about a half in taller then the G19. I have a holster coming from Panther Concealment in a couple of days and I need to see how well the XD .45 will conceal before going any further. The XD .45 will be used mostly for backpacking so not to concerned about concealment but it will give me an idea on how easily I'll be able to conceal a full size 9.

Thanks for all of the input.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Pretty much the answers I've come to as well. Also based on what I've seen of the guts of the XD the M&P trigger is more easily tuned as well as better out of the box. I do like the XD .45 and it will be staying but for the G19 replacement I'm going with the M&P.
With one caveat, both the XD and M&P are about a half in taller then the G19. I have a holster coming from Panther Concealment in a couple of days and I need to see how well the XD .45 will conceal before going any further. The XD .45 will be used mostly for backpacking so not to concerned about concealment but it will give me an idea on how easily I'll be able to conceal a full size 9.

Thanks for all of the input.
I see. If you go M&P you have some flexibility here. I have the 9c and enjoy being able to go from a 4.25" OAH with a 12 rounder and flat basepad to 5.3" OAH with 17 rounder and xgrip.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I am not a fan of gen 3 or gen 4 glocks, but a gen 2 g19 is my favorite gun to shoot. In fact I just bought another one. I would also suggest supporting American jobs, except for the auto unions, go with the M&P.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Understood.
In that case:

IMHO,

Have to almost completely agree here, with my one exception being the aftermarket going to the M&P. Why? 10-8 Performance doesn't make my favorite rear sight for the XD. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts