Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
You’re right.

I know my life is worth the price of expending a mag or two if carry ammo per year…guess you don’t think yours is.
That's kind of moving the goal post from my original comment were I was just lightheartedly was giving you a hard time.

I don't believe it's a necessity or a threat to my life compared to your opinion. If that's what you believe, then it's a worthwhile thing for you and others to do. No argument or judgment from me. Everyone has their own opinions of the topic.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
That's kind of moving the goal post from my original comment were I was just lightheartedly was giving you a hard time.

I don't believe it's a necessity or a threat to my life compared to your opinion. If that's what you believe, then it's a worthwhile thing for you and others to do. No argument or judgment from me. Everyone has their own opinions of the topic.
@xdkid I think you missed @Cuda66's point--may want to take a couple steps back, take a deep breath, and re-read the thread.

I believe he was saying that the price of ammo is nowhere close to the value of our lives. His comment should not taken personally or be misconstrued as a threat.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think you missed cuda66's point. I believe he was saying that even if ammo was ten times higher than it is now, that price is nowhere close to the value of the life you are defending with it. His comment should not be misconstrued as a threat.
I got his point. What I was saying is I do not share his point of view that I am putting my life in danger and I do not see it as a threat to my life by not replacing my carry ammo annually, but if that's what he believes, by all means replace it.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
I shoot a carry mag in every carry gun at least once a year. Ammo is cheap enough for me.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I try to rotate rounds through the mag after a few loads / unloads so I am not racking the slide and loading the same one over and over.... and when I was at range more often, about every 4 to 6 months I would fire my carry magazine's full loads. Never had any that never went bang, none had any load or eject failures, and with a significant lack of range time now, I very seldom fire out my carry mags to empty. Not scientific by any means, but highly trust my guns to go bang when needed every time. Can a failure happen.... sure... but just hasn't happened, and in the grand scheme of things, the ammo failure really doesn't seem to be where I need to worry most.

Reactions: YosemiteCedar

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think it is a good idea to practice with your carry ammo too-- at least a box or two every six months to a year. Sometimes target loads can be a good match for a defensive load in terms of recoil, but in my experience that is not always the case and ~ $40.00 - $200.00 a year seems pretty cheap to me (especially compared to let's say a typical monthly food budget).

I have 3 mag groups-- carry mags, spare carry mags, and practice mags. Practice mags do not normally go into the carry rotation and carry mags are only used at the range when practicing with carry ammo. I try to practice with my carry ammo every 6 months to 1 year and switch my carry mags with the spares at that time... It sounds like a lot of mags, but if you want to keep the cost down and only have 2 carry mags, 2 spare carry mags, and 2 practice mags, that's only 6 mags which should theoretically last many years, so the cost/year is actually fairly low.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts