Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an XD-40 on layaway and I am considering replacing it with an XD-9. I've shot 9mm and .45 ACP in the past, and my reasoning for going with a .40 in the first place was that I wanted something with a fair amount of stopping power if I ever had to use it for that purpose (more like .45 ACP), but something that was still inexpensive enough to shoot at the range frequently (like 9mm).

After reading more and more threads like: http://www.hs2000talk.com/posting.php?mode=reply&t=28898, it seems that 9mm would still provide me with what I'm looking for in performance. Also, I've read that the .40 is something of a snappy round... any input?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I shoot lots of 9mm in rifle and pistol every year. It's just great all around fun for not alot of money and in a pinch it will do a good job in busting a cap in some bad guys azz! 8)

your link above goes no where. :?:

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
By doing some looking on the web, you will find some ballistic tests that show 9mm's ability to stop a thread. It is quite capable with the correct defensive round.

Get a caliber you will enjoy shooting. Some find 40 to be a hard round to shoot, others like it. Test different calibers and shoot what you like, and don't worry stopping power. If you don't like to shoot the gun, you won't practice, therefore your ability to hit the target will be less.

OS

·
Registered
50 Posts
Old School said:
.. that show 9mm's ability to stop a thread. OS
:lol: :lol: In the 'Which is the best caliber question' I don't think a thread has ever been stopped by 9mm!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
11,055 Posts
I owned a XD-9 and traded for a XD-40 for two reasons. One, I wanted a little more punch, and 2, I can buy a replacement barrel from Barsto or EFK and shoot 9mm or .357 Sig.

I would suggest shooting a rental .40 and a rental 9mm to see which one you prefer.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
flipya said:
Old School said:
.. that show 9mm's ability to stop a thread. OS
:lol: :lol: In the 'Which is the best caliber question' I don't think a thread has ever been stopped by 9mm!! :lol: :lol:
HAHA. Threat, although there is many of times when I would like to take a 9mm to some of the threads I read on this forum. :lol:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OS, what keywords should I google for to get that info?

Thanks for everyone's input on this!

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
What do they always say (whoever they are), a couple of well placed shots of just about any caliber are better than a couple of misses. You shoot someone in the right place with a 9mm, it should get their attention more so than missing them with a .40. If you can afford to shoot the 9mm more, you'll get better at shooting and hit your mark.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree here. I cancelled my XD40 layaway today. I'll be purchasing an XD9 early next year. I would've put one on layaway but I want a tactical and they only have the service. Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
darkfire, this is off topic, but I noticed you live in the Springs. My younger brother does also. How do you people get used to the weather out there since it changes from hour to hour. :D

We were there in '96 to visit and on the 25 to Denver it was raining until we went under a bridge where it wasn't on the other side. We found out later, it was hailing at his house at the same time. Screwy weather!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's no way to get used to the weather. The saying around here is "if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes." It's funny because people typically think that Colorado's weather is stable (cold) all of the time, and it's the exact opposite! Cheers :)

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Chili today, hot tamale :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts