Springfield XD Forum banner

Replacement Part List for USPSA Production?

1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  j2fast 
#1 ·
I'm getting my XD ready to shoot in USPSA Production division. I'm curious to know what parts you all have replaced/mods you have made? Here is a list I have gathered from reading bits and pieces here and there:

- Trigger job
- Don's solid Guide Rod
- 22lb Wolf Spring
- Modified mag release button from Canyon Creek (to extend on one side)

What else? ...remember it must be USPSA Production legal!

Thanks,
Darren

#3 ·
are you allowed to have anything on teh grips for production class? If not, can you shoot with gloves?

#5 ·
Holster, ammo pouches, and humility bucket :wink: . Buy bullets and go shoot!!!!! Do the other items as you get time or see the need to. :)

#6 ·
Thanks. Which holster do you guys recommend? The holster that came with it kinda sucks. It's more for IDPA.....the gun is closer and the muzzle pokes into my hip when in the holster. ...I'm thinking maybe an Uncle Mike's?

Regarding bullets, I got the Dillion and bullets already made up. I was use to shooting Limited 10 with my single stack 1911, however, I feel the need to put all the BLOCK, I mean Glock, shooting old guys in line. ...I did recently discover that my 9mm speed plate load isn't going to work for USPSA....It won't knock over some of the hinged poppers. :wink:

DkM

R Dub said:
Holster, ammo pouches, and humility bucket :wink: . Buy bullets and go shoot!!!!! Do the other items as you get time or see the need to. :)

#8 ·
I use the Blade-Tech belt slide holster. The UM holster and mag pouches will definitely get you going. I would recommend 4 mag pouches. I use 5, but I'm clumsey!!
I think AJames and Old School sell the UM gear, and Old School seels the Blade-Tech gear.

#10 ·
Yep...I bought the cheapy UM pouches. There's two slots per pouch. I'd prefer to have the more expensive singles, but I just blew all my money on the XD. :) ...I usually do have a minimum of four mags on my side and one in the pocket. I carry six mags with my 1911.

ampleworks said:
Four pouches plus one to load & make ready in your pocket should get you through any stage that isn't a 100 round long course!

#11 ·
<Slight Drift>

In a post on the Brian Enos forums about some new mag pouches I love the description someone gave of the 5th mag (which I have as well).

the "#5-ohh-man-please-let-this-be-over" magazine

Yes, I'm easily amused.... :wink:

<Drift off>

The mag pouches they were discussing were these, I may have to give them a try..
http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=05H&cat=22

To get back on topic I had trigger work done, use UM pouches and also use Trugrip. An extended mag release wouldn't be legal since it's not a factory option. Although I think what Rich at Canyon Creek does by shifting the factory release to one side or the other gives at least near the same effect and is Production legal (not 100% on this).

#13 ·
I tried some of the skate tape on the sides of my gun, but I quickly realized I put more pressure on the front and rear of the grip. I wasn't really feeling that tape when it was on the sides.

Therefore, it would make more sense for me to put the tape on the front and rear, however, the grip has all the ridges in the front and I don't think the tape would stick well. Do you guys have problems with the tape bridging over the grooves?

DkM

ampleworks said:
"Skate Tape" such as TruGrip or DecalGrip or anything homemade of that variety is specifically allowed.

Nothing restricts you from shooting in gloves.

#14 ·
The TruGrip wraps around the entire grip, or how much/little you want it to. The tape I have right now wraps around the front of the grip but not the backstrap.

Those new keen magazine pouches do look nifty, but then you need to spend $55 for a CR Speed belt, yes its the best belt made, but if you're not ready to buy something just for "gaming" (and its not IDPA legal), then your leather pants belt will work.

#15 ·
ampleworks said:
Those new keen magazine pouches do look nifty, but then you need to spend $55 for a CR Speed belt, yes its the best belt made, but if you're not ready to buy something just for "gaming" (and its not IDPA legal), then your leather pants belt will work.
True, I didn't think of the possibility of them not working well with a non-gaming belt. Although since I tend to over do everything (already have a CR belt) and stopped going down the economical path once my blaster arived at Rich's..... :twisted: :twisted: I'm not the best roll model... :wink: :roll: :roll:

EDIT: Not to say Rich's prices are good because they are, it's just that my blaster went there for a trigger job and magically came back with the mods you see in my sig below. :twisted:

#18 ·
This is not to discourage you from trying a heavy spring because you might like it. I tried a 22 lb spring early this shooting while shooting USPSA matches and found it to create to much of a rolling recoil action. I ended up going back to the 18 pound stock spring for major PF stuff and 16 pound for the lighter loads I'm shooting in Production. I feel like the lighter spring speeds up the recoil cycle and lets me get my sights back on the target faster.

That said try anything and everything to see what you like best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.