Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make a nice wide XD grip safety along the lines of an Ed Brown Memory groove? Just out of curiousity, can a 1911 grip safety be modified to work with an XD? Can the frame be cut away enough to install a wider grip safety? This is more or less a science project that I am considering if it is possible. I love the feel of my Brown equipped 1911s, I do not like the grip safety on the XD. I am not interested in the little plastic adder that sticks to the XD safety.

ranburr

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forget about reason. I have the time and a machine shop at my disposal. Can it be done? Like I said this is more or less a science project for me. My biggest concern is not whether I can make a new grip safety. But rather how will the frame handle being gutted to fit it in. I do not care about warranty issues. Only if it can be done and if it will be safe to shoot afterwards.

ranburr

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I can't see why not? The mag release is on the trigger gaurd side of the interior of the mag well, so altering the pistol frame to accept a wider grip safety shouldnt be an issue.

As long as the larger grip safety lever was fashioned to accept the grip safety pin, and the grip safety spring.. it should be fine. The grip safety keeps the sear from being dropped, so it would take a pretty nice peice of machining to get'r'done.. but I suppose if a guy was motivated, and had the know how, he could do it. (or she... don't mean to be sexist.)

Raymond

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
ranburr said:
Forget about reason. I have the time and a machine shop at my disposal. Can it be done? Like I said this is more or less a science project for me. My biggest concern is not whether I can make a new grip safety. But rather how will the frame handle being gutted to fit it in. I do not care about warranty issues. Only if it can be done and if it will be safe to shoot afterwards.

ranburr
If it's a science project then treat it as such. The word EXPERIMENTAL comes to mind. Not something most people here do with their guns and for very good reason.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts