Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one of those tactical grips like the DPMS one with the palm grip? I am looking to replace my grip with something more apt for longer ranges - out to 500 yards. I have a SS heavy in 1:12 twist and will be shooting 50 & 60gr V-Max. I know that's more info than needed but questions get asked about what the use is etc.... I am really looking at the DPMS but was hoping to get first hand experience from someone before purchasing. Or any suitable alternative. Thanks and don't be shy

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Do you have a pic of the one you are talking about?

I have the CAA one with interchangable front and back sections.

Works very well and customizable. Cabela's had it in the bargain cave for 30 bucks....but can be had for under 50 all day long.

·
Banned
82 Posts
Does anyone have one of those tactical grips like the DPMS one with the palm grip? I am looking to replace my grip with something more apt for longer ranges - out to 500 yards. I have a SS heavy in 1:12 twist and will be shooting 50 & 60gr V-Max. I know that's more info than needed but questions get asked about what the use is etc.... I am really looking at the DPMS but was hoping to get first hand experience from someone before purchasing. Or any suitable alternative. Thanks and don't be shy
For the round you are wanting to use the 1:12 is fine and shooting at 500 yards with it is VERY doable. Marines have been doing it for years and the Colt A1 I had in basic was 1:12 and did quit well at 300 yards. If you are going to ever use a larger bullet weight in the future then a 1:7, 1:8 or even a 1:9 would be better. This is the grip I would recommend for it.........;)

ERGO AR15/M16 Grip Kit, Deluxe Tactical - 4045

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, first off, you've got the wrong barrel for going out that far. Replace it with a 1:8 or 1:7 to be able to properly stabilize heavy bullets at longer range...those lighter bullets will be a plaything for the wind.

And the gips that I think you're referring to is a PSG-1 type grip...Galati International: PSG1 Style AR-15 Pistol Grip
Yes, I know that it won't be able to reach that far. 500 was a max number just to quell the coming questions. I have a bolt action in 1:8 and one in 1:9 that I'll be using for longer shots. The 1:12 will be 300 and in with the occasional 500yrd shots just for fun. But had I not know that your input would have been very valuable.

·
Registered
463 Posts
your grip doesnt really affect your accuracy as much as you'd think. barrel twist, optics, free float handguard, buttstock and trigger pull are all going to affect your shooting more than a pistol grip. I just have a dpms sportical with a hogue grip and a badger ordnance handguard and its a tack driver out over 200 yards. I'm about to throw in a rock river 2 stage trigger which will probably push that beyond 300. a comfortable grip helps but in my opinion isn't very important. your three most important factors are going to be optics, barrel twist and trigger. everything else is for fine tweaking.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I have seen the grips with a palm shelf like you're talking about, but as long as the grip is comfortable and fits you, seems to be just as good.

Most of my grips are like the CAA G27 grip. There are a lot of various brands in that style now.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
your grip doesnt really affect your accuracy as much as you'd think. barrel twist, optics, free float handguard, buttstock and trigger pull are all going to affect your shooting more than a pistol grip. I just have a dpms sportical with a hogue grip and a badger ordnance handguard and its a tack driver out over 200 yards. I'm about to throw in a rock river 2 stage trigger which will probably push that beyond 300. a comfortable grip helps but in my opinion isn't very important. your three most important factors are going to be optics, barrel twist and trigger. everything else is for fine tweaking.
Agreed on all accounts. It's just that I find myself gripping the standard DPMS grip and being annoyed to the point of distraction. I haven't figured out which trigger I want yet either. That's more important by far I realize that. I just have to match my handloads to my twist rate and go from there. Thanks
I also own a Sportical also and get great groups out of it. For an AR I got for $650 out the door -WOW. I consistently get 5 round sub moa with just AE223 factory ammo. With the stock trigger. Needs a new one also.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Agreed on all accounts. It's just that I find myself gripping the standard DPMS grip and being annoyed to the point of distraction. I haven't figured out which trigger I want yet either. That's more important by far I realize that. I just have to match my handloads to my twist rate and go from there. Thanks
I also own a Sportical also and get great groups out of it. For an AR I got for $650 out the door -WOW. I consistently get 5 round sub moa with just AE223 factory ammo. With the stock trigger. Needs a new one also.
completely underrated rifles in my opinion. the hogue grips are really nice, I'm planning on getting one for my AK too. it's leaps and bounds ahead of your standard A2 grip...I agree they are terrible by todays standards

ps I hear the stark grips are really nice too, Mossbergs new AR15 come with the stark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts