Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My house was broken into a couple of weeks ago while the family and I were gone and my XDm 4.5" 9mm was stolen. Makes quite the strong argument for a bedside pistol safe, which I'm currently shopping for.

I'm now trying to decide whether to replace it with another XDm 9mm (still have 4 spare 19rd mags, case, etc. They only took the gun and mag that was in it) or go a different route.

I'd originally bought the 4.5 XDm because I was interviewing for a couple of different law enforcement positions and wanted something to practice with that could also double as a duty gun if needed. I ended up taking a non-law enforcement position, so that's no longer a concern and I'm leaning more towards concealed carry.

I was extremely pleased with the XDm, but it was a significant investment that I'm not sure I can afford to repeat right now. I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for", but I'm honestly not sure how to proceed at this point and was hoping that I might find some insight here.

Thanks,
-D

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Are you an NRA member?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
If you already have the mags for the XDm 9 then why not... you also get 3 more free mags from SA with a new XDm right now, you would be set on mags lol.

·
Registered
353 Posts
XDM Compact would be what I would get. You already have the magazines.. and I would start up with some IDPA in your area as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Are you an NRA member?
No I'm not. I've only gotten involved with firearms in the last 2-3 years, so I'm very much new to the community.

The XDm was my first gun, I bought it after shooting it, a Glock 17, and a standard XD at an indoor range less than a year ago.

XDM Compact would be what I would get. You already have the magazines.. and I would start up with some IDPA in your area as well.
I didn't realize the Compact would accept the 19rd mags, but I see now that it will. I'll definitely look into this further.

Thanks for the tip on IDPA, had never heard of them but it sounds like something I'd be interested in. (Again, newbie here)

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I hope you are able to replace it with the original weapon and the freedom of the perp who stole it.

Good luck man. I still have a .45 floating around out there in the hands of a criminal. Pisses me off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope you are able to replace it with the original weapon and the freedom of the perp who stole it.

Good luck man. I still have a .45 floating around out there in the hands of a criminal. Pisses me off.
Thanks for the support, but thats a slim to none hope right now. I had a possible lead on a local convicted felon showing off his "new toy", but it turned out to not be my gun.

I asked the local Sheriff's Office if it would be possible to try and lift prints off the drawer it was taken from, but the deputy on duty informed me that

"Well, we normally don't do that because anymore they wear gloves and those don't leave prints"

I'm not optimistic on help from that angle.

I think the best I can hope for now is that the thief sticks it in his waistband and blows his dick off.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Homeowners insurance? I would think maybe a xdm 3.8 uses the same mags but a bid easier to conceal.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Homeowners insurance? I would think maybe a xdm 3.8 uses the same mags but a bid easier to conceal.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
$500 deductible and having the claim on my policy isn't worth the increased premiums for a $600 gun.

The gun was the only thing missing that I've been able to find, which is a whole other can of worms.

I've looked at the 3.8 in the past, but haven't had the opportunity to shoot one yet. It's on my list along with the Compact.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Unless you have your heart set on a different caliber/different gun ... Stay with something that will let you use those magazines.

And IMO, a bed-side safe is just an item to be carried out of the house, and then broken into.
Bolt it down, or better yet ... Get a big one, and bolt it down.

Sorry to hear about your loss, and welcome to the forum.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
$500 deductible and having the claim on my policy isn't worth the increased premiums for a $600 gun.

The gun was the only thing missing that I've been able to find, which is a whole other can of worms.

I've looked at the 3.8 in the past, but haven't had the opportunity to shoot one yet. It's on my list along with the Compact.
That kind of tells me a (supposed) friend took it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That kind of tells me a (supposed) friend took it.
That would be my first impression, except that I don't have but a couple of friends within 250 miles. One's a State Trooper, the other lives 20 miles away and has no need to steal as he knows I'd give it to him if he needed it. Not that he would, he's got quite the arsenal and prefers trap guns.

I've eliminated misplacing (tossed the house, 3 times), kids, and family (most who live nearby are current or former law enforcement)

Add to that living 3/4 mile outside a small rural town with soybeans and 40 head of cattle as my nearest neighbors, there's two sides to privacy.

There have been numerous break-ins in the area but of course "It won't happen to me", and there is a strong methamphetamine trade here. A side garage door that didn't lock securely (and has since been replaced) and a weekend out of town was all it took.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts