Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I'm new so sorry if this has been asked a million times. Should you or should you not replace the pin with a stronger one? I've heard if you replace it with a stronger one it puts wear on other parts of the gun (don't remember which part exactly).. So should I stick with owning a few of the OEM pins to replace when it (maybe never) breaks, or should I replace it now with a stronger one? Opinions, buttholes, etc?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
If it is something that takes away from your confidence then I say replace it. You need to feel like you can trust your pistol all the time, everytime. They are pretty cheap from PRP so why not? People will say that it is pointless, and that may be the case. Either way, if it bothers YOU than "fix" it. Even if all it does is utilize the placebo effect, your piece of mind is worth more than the few bucks it would cost to replace it.

(Most of us that legally can, carry a weapon all the time.... and thankfully most of us will never need it. We still spend tons of time, money and effort "perfecting" our systems and sacrificing in our attire and other areas to be able to feel the piece of mind that comes with knowing we are ready just in case. I don't see anthing different at play if you want to spend a few bucks getting a "better" striker retaining pin for your piece of mind.)

JMO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactly. I may never need a new pin but I want to have the peace of mind that in a self defense or even SHTF situation, I'm not going to be stuck with a paper weight over a $2 piece of metal. Just not sure if stronger is neccessarily better in this case. I'm sort of leaning towards just buying a pack of OEM ones to keep in my ammo can.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I still have the stock one in mine but I plan on replacing it simply because one end of it is smashed in a little from knocking it out a few times.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
If I ever put any aftermarket parts on my XDs, I will probably replace the striker retainer at the same time. I'm happy with the way that they shoot right now though, so I probably won't do it soon.

I've had 1 xd since 2004, the other since 2008.

·
Registered
4 Posts
exactly how is this done?
do you cock the gun first, knock the pin out from inside the slide, what type of punch do you use, etc.?

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Hi there. I'm new so sorry if this has been asked a million times. Should you or should you not replace the pin with a stronger one? I've heard if you replace it with a stronger one it puts wear on other parts of the gun (don't remember which part exactly).. So should I stick with owning a few of the OEM pins to replace when it (maybe never) breaks, or should I replace it now with a stronger one? Opinions, buttholes, etc?
I'm highly biased - XD9 Fails - And see no reason to replace what is not broken (unless you are looking for an improvement, and a roll pin replacement is not an improvement).

Welcome to the forum, Drico D !!

Reactions: Blueshotgunman

·
Registered
447 Posts
Replace it and have the piece of mind. I ordered mines from PRP. Make sure you crimp one side down so it's tapered. A little CLP on it and hammer away. Better to be safe than sorry when you really need it.

I replaced mines because it broke on my second time shooting the gun in a IDPA match. But on my XD 45 it still has the original one with over 1000 rds. I'm clueless as well on how the XDM 9 broke so quick. But o well, now I have 2 more spares.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Does anyone here think that IF this was such a problematic part that SA would have addressed it by now and started using a superior part??

Buying spares... replacing unbroken parts... why not just buy a twin firearm and carry it on your other hip in case your main one falls apart from its shoddy manufacturing. Seriously though the aftermarket companies must love the paranoia about this, I would love to sell eskimoes ice cubes too!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I went with PRP pins for spares. I also carry a spare tire in all the vehicles I presently own and I haven't had to use one yet. Maybe I'm just a silly fool.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Replace it and have the piece of mind. I ordered mines from PRP. Make sure you crimp one side down so it's tapered.
Ah ha, this was where I saw the "advice" to crimp one end of the PRP pin... FYI, you DO NOT need to crimp it as they are already tapered if we are talking about the rolled pin - 3 for $12.

I sat there trying to crimp one end with pliers for 30minutes before i realized it wasn't going to budge. Ended up screwing up one of my pins. =/

Just get some grease on the pin or CLP if that's slippery... and tap the pin in with a metal hammer. It will seat correctly w/out any crimping.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sorry if I messed up your pin. But I had to do that to mines. After I tapered or crimp it just a little bit more, threw some CLP on it and it went in.

But at first I was pounding away and it wouldn't fit into my XDM 9's pin hole. It had a larger diameter so I had to crimp a little. Sorry my advice messed your pin up, I just shared what I experienced.

If you need a extra one I can ship you one lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interesting post and source of info. Glad I am not the only one that had a pin break after very few rounds fired, but does make me laugh when I see XD9 vs Glock 19 threads. Especially comments on the durability. Don't get me wrong, I like the XD over the glock in other areas, but my personal experience is there is no comparison in durability. Mainly due to sight paint and stiker retaining pins...

·
Registered
570 Posts
My pin and striker after 3800 rounds, and counting. Remember the pin goes in and out the TOP of the slide. Don't try to install or remove it through the bottom. Also, contrary to popular belief, the striker does NOT impact the retaining pin, at least not in my late model 525:

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
My pin and striker after 3800 rounds, and counting. Remember the pin goes in and out the TOP of the slide. Don't try to install or remove it through the bottom. Also, contrary to popular belief, the striker does NOT impact the retaining pin, at least not in my late model 525:

So what causes the pins to break if they are not contacted by the striker?

The striker should not hit the pin when firing a round, the primer should stop the striker before it hits the pin.

Dry firing could allow the pin to hit the striker.

I think manufacturing tolerances on some guns allow the striker to hit the pin.

don

1 - 20 of 22 Posts