Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked and could not find a thread on this topic.

I always carry with a round chambered but when I get home I unchamber the round. With chambering a round every day, Will that eventually stretch the chamber? Started noticing rounds are sitting a little lower in the chamber. So that got me wondering if the constant slamming the case mouth on the chamber lip would eventually start to push that lip. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Highly unlikely but it can set the bullet back in the case if them same round is loaded/unloaded over and over again.

·
Registered
665 Posts
1) Why do you clear the chamber?

2) Do NOT F around with bullet setback.

·
Registered
29,831 Posts
No, it will not "stretch the chamber". Short of an incredibly over pressure round, I don't think that's even possible.

However, multiple chamberings can push the bullet back into the case--aka setback--and cause a pressure spike that will turn your handgun into a grenade.

There also a school of thought that says that many, many multiple chamberings can cause a dud primer...I've never seen this, though. But it's out there.

·
Registered
888 Posts
^^^Never heard of multiple chamberings causing a dud primer before. One more thing to research I guess.

To the op:

Just make sure you don't chamber the same round over and over. I don't clear my loaded semi-autos unless I'm going to the range but when I do I empty the mag and put the round that was chambered at the bottom and rinse and repeat. One it's at the top the second time I'll shoot the whole mag at the range and cycle in fresh rounds.

I've never witnessed setback first hand but better safe than sorry imo.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I've had Remington .357 SIG hollow points set back on the very first chambering. Noticed it when I loaded it up and carried it for awhile, then unloaded the gun/magazine to shoot some different ammo at the range. The round in the barrel was pretty darned short.

Sometimes folks get the idea that factory ammo is perfect. It isn't.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Some ammo brands are worse than others for set-back. One of the worst in my experience are the Barnes TAC-XPD. Some brands have very little set-back problems because of their design.

Set-back causes higher then normal pressure as noted above, so keep an eye on your ammo and if it shows more then a 1/16" set-back, it could be a problem for older or cheaper firearms. This is more of a concern with normally higher pressure rounds such as 9mm and 40 S&W.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
It's not going to harm the chamber, but after a while the round will get all beat up. Torn up rim, scratched case, and possibly bullet set back.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Not sure about your firearm your using or carry ammo but I carry an xd40sc and federal hst. I havent had setback issues with this round which gives me the idea that federal has filled the case with powder to the top of the case creating a full case, then added the slug and a good crimp. I have seen setback with other carry ammo but never federal hst 40 smith and wesson.

The long and short of it is that I have found some guns are worse than others, and some ammo is much worse than others. As long as the gun will enter battery you can lightly let the slide forward on a fresh round and then tap the back of the slide if needed. My xd will let me "lightly" chamber a round. If a slide does not seat fully forward it cannot fire.

95% of the time my gun stays loaded. No joke. This all started to happen when there was a large shooting at a place where I used to live. 15 gun shots and rapid fire. My gun gets locked up in a locked box tethered by a cable to my truck and my gun gets locked up at night before bed. I do not have kids though but do have curious dogs :p

So i recommend leaving a gun loaded when you can, when unloaded unload 3 or 4 rounds from the magazine then rotate. I measure my set back with a caliper to determine when a round is safe or not. Chamber pressures spike 40% or so and will blow up a gun.

Lastly you will not stretch your chamber by loading/ unloading. The barrel of firearms is made so strong they can stand up to house fires and extreme temperatures. The gun firing wheres out the chamber much faster than loading and extracting but this is only my understanding.

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
As long as the gun will enter battery you can lightly let the slide forward on a fresh round and then tap the back of the slide if needed. My xd will let me "lightly" chamber a round.
I have read here from several posters that I consider to be credible, but honestly I can't recall who they were and I don't want to guess names though I have a few in my head, that this is not a good idea. The reason this is a bad idea is because this is not how your gun is designed to function. It is designed to pick up a round from below out of the mag and feed it into the chamber. Doing what you suggest causes the ejector to ride over the base of the casing forcing it outwards which it is not designed to do and this can or will weaken and break the metal extractor.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Not sure about your firearm your using or carry ammo but I carry an xd40sc and federal hst. I havent had setback issues with this round which gives me the idea that federal has filled the case with powder to the top of the case creating a full case, then added the slug and a good crimp.
HIGHLY doubt that. if so, prepare for a massive over-pressure KB.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
hey there, sorry for the confusion but i never said to drop a round in the barrel and drop the slide. i ment to load a round without dropping the slide with the slide release. no need to slam everytime. always load frm the magazine.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
hey there, sorry for the confusion but i never said to drop a round in the barrel and drop the slide. i ment to load a round without dropping the slide with the slide release. no need to slam everytime. always load frm the magazine.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Not sure about your firearm your using or carry ammo but I carry an xd40sc and federal hst. I havent had setback issues with this round which gives me the idea that federal has filled the case with powder to the top of the case creating a full case, ummm...unless they're trying to blow up your gun and/or maim you, I can say NO...NO...NO...then added the slug and a good crimp. I have seen setback with other carry ammo but never federal hst 40 smith and wesson. I suspect they have a better Taper-Crimp on the cases...and possibly tighter tolerances on their components

The long and short of it is that I have found some guns are worse than others, and some ammo is much worse than others. As long as the gun will enter battery you can lightly let the slide forward on a fresh round and then tap the back of the slide if needed. My xd will let me "lightly" chamber a round. If a slide does not seat fully forward it cannot fire.

95% of the time my gun stays loaded. No joke. this...fewer things are as useless as an unloaded firearm This all started to happen when there was a large shooting at a place where I used to live. 15 gun shots and rapid fire. My gun gets locked up in a locked box tethered by a cable to my truck and my gun gets locked up at night before bed. I do not have kids though but do have curious dogs :pgood habit to get into...secure storage is not a bad idea as long as you train how you will fight

So i recommend leaving a gun loaded when you can, when unloaded unload 3 or 4 rounds from the magazine then rotate. I measure my set back with a caliper to determine when a round is safe or not. Chamber pressures spike 40% or so and will blow up a gun.all excellent practices

Lastly you will not stretch your chamber by loading/ unloading. The barrel of firearms is made so strong they can stand up to house fires and extreme temperatures. The gun firing wheres out the chamber much faster than loading and extracting but this is only my understanding. the chamber "throat" is the part that can and does get worn out...particularly where the riflig meets the chambered round...too much rapidfire and/or hot loads can wear the area prematurely...still looking at several thousand rounds before its noticed

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I am sorry for the confusion. Im a little bit of a gun smith and a reloader. when i said you can push the slide onto a fresh round i ment a round from the magazine. To me a fresh round is a live round from the top of the magazine ready to do into the chamber. Never load directly into the barrel I have seen people do it.

Well I see no reason when chambering a gun to pull back the slide and slam it for carry. I only chamber a round as hard as need be. Slamming the chamber on a round when in a car or in your house is not a good practice. I mearly "ease the slide" onto a round from the magazine. A man had picked up a 1911 from a store where it had been repaired. Once he got to his car he installed a loaded magaine and dropped the slide using the slide release onto a live round what happened next was unpredictable the firing pin was stuck extruding from the slide and when the slide was dropped the stuck firing pin struck a live round's primer while it chambered it. The fun immediately fired without its owner ready!! after this because the firing pin was stuck the gun fired again! I slam slides when installing a magazine during a reload at the range, but that me. It's important to point your barrel where it is in a safer direction

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Also loaded or unloaded all guns are loaded! never joke around about that. till a guns action is opened or disassemled the gun is to be considered loaded. I WILL breakdown guns to make them safer when working on them. My fiancé and I were at her step moms for Christmas. All was going well. Her step mom had received a Taurus 9mm for her Xmas gift. She had jammed the gun down her pants and during the party pulled the gun out and started swinging it over her head with her finger on the trigger. I immediately was upset and told her "you better put that down or we are leaving you are going to kill someone, what is wrong with you? How do you know it's not loaded!!??" Believe it or not she replys "I don't think it's loaded, why does it matter to you??" Needless to say we don't visit her or talk to her anymore that was the last straw. A loaded gun is no more dangerous than an " unloaded gun. all guns are loaded till cleared. Thanks guys be safe out there!

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Within my experience, I have only experienced setback with .45 acp. It seemed to happen without a lot of repeated chamberings. Never had a setback with .40 and I haven't used 9mm enough to really say.

·
Banned
20,993 Posts
I have been having setback problems with Federal white box 45 ball ammo.....Just pulled them all out of the mags and bought some defensive ammo....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts