Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does the XD have repeat strike capability?
not yet familiar enough with the internals to know this.
I dont yet own a Xd, have only shot one.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
You mean, double-taps? The gun will fire as fast as you pull the trigger.

Can it fire three-round bursts? No. Not a path I'd recommend pursuing.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Does the XD have repeat strike capability?
not yet familiar enough with the eternals to know this.
I dont yet own a Xd, have only shot one.
Thanks in advance.
if your referring to pulling the trigger to try firing a round that failed to fire.. no it wont.

cheers

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im referring to the capability of the trigger to reset an cock the striker without having to rack the slide, in the event of a click an no bang will the striker reset, or must the slide be racked as in a Glock?
In a double action pistol, the hammer will reset and fall each time the trigger is pulled.

·
Registered
764 Posts
No, the XD cant double strike. The internals can be consider to be "Glock Like", meaning that you must indeed rack the slide, if a round fails to fire.

Personally, I would rather get the round out, and try firing a new one, rather then hoping, that a once failed round, magically works on a second try. And dont see a double strike ability to be an advantage, plus it comes at the cost of a heavy trigger.

Taurus, has a SA/DA gun, that can double strike, but with a normally SAO trigger weight pull.

·
Registered
189 Posts
if you refering to taurus' "second-strike" thing then no. That is a very rare and uncommon thing to find in a striker-fired type auto pistol. If you have ever operated a gun w/ said second-strike you will soon find why it is not so popular. Having this basically means that your normally single-action, or partial cocked, firearm can act in a full double-action mode in incident of somthing like a hard primer failing to ignite. Problem with this is that the trigger must allow for this double action, which is rarely used/needed. So for 99.9% of your shots the trigger break is very far back in the guard and you have tons of dead space to allow for this double-action. On top of this a round that didn't fire on the first strike most likely wont fire on the second strike... Although this is debated, many people will find that at this point it is better to cycle a new round into the chamber instead of messing with the one in it. I should also mention that you can re-cock the striker on the XD by moving the slide rearward literally only a 1/4". This can be done very fast and allows for a recock without cycling out the round, if you want to do this for some odd reason. "Second-Chance" capability is a neat idea, but IMO its advantages are far outweighed by the fact that many aspects of it make the firearm feel less desireable in its primary operating mode.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
point well taken, Trackready. I have very little experience with the Xd, and ur comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If you are carrying high quality personal defense rounds that you've tested in your gun, I wouldn't be too concerned about light primer strikes.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
If you are carrying high quality personal defense rounds that you've tested in your gun, I wouldn't be too concerned about light primer strikes.
More so, if you're practicing what most would consider the "correct" method for FTFire, you won't need second strike.

Get that dud cartridge out of there and a fresh one ready to go. Chances are it won't go the second time, either. Very rarely do I encounter a light strike that goes boom the second time around.

·
Registered
410 Posts
ACTUALLY, if you pull the slide back not even half an inch, the sear seems to reset. I don't know if it would fire, I've never had to try that.

·
Registered
189 Posts
ACTUALLY, if you pull the slide back not even half an inch, the sear seems to reset. I don't know if it would fire, I've never had to try that.

If you pull the slide rearward just about 1/4" it will infact recock the striker (also indicated by the striker status indicator on rear of slide) After doing this the gun will infact "fire"

·
Registered
58 Posts
I may not practice malfunction drills as often as I should, so I find that I've already pulled the trigger a second time on a failure to fire before I realize I need to 'tap, rack, etc.'

In the event that a second strike would actually result in a successful ignition, that capability would be good for me. If malfunction drills are practiced frequently, second strike ability may not be a big issue... on the other hand, in a shtf situation, the adrenaline effect may have you pulling the trigger repeatedly on an non-firing round before you perform the tap-rack drill.

Just my thoughts on it, there are many here on the board with more experience than I.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you pull the slide rearward just about 1/4" it will infact recock the striker (also indicated by the striker status indicator on rear of slide) After doing this the gun will infact "fire"
Agreed. This is true. Some people use this method for dry firing on a single snap cap repeatedly. That way, the trigger pull is the same as you normally would have when firing the gun for real.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts