Springfield XD Forum banner

Repainting your sights?

4K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  ken_mays 
#1 ·
Anyone retouched their sights a different color? I've got some great acrylic paints that would work I think. What other colors would you guys recommend? I accidently gouged out some of the front sight paint while trying to get some CLR out of it. I could just redo it in white, but was wondering how other colors (bright yellow?) work...thanks, nocalkind

#2 ·
On my original XD Service the front sight just seem to lose color over time (probably the way I was cleaning it then) anyway one day I got tired of it not being white, so just as I was leaving for the range that day - I used a bottle of "white out". I let the tip of the brush come close to the dip in the sight so that the fluid was drawn into it. This method allowed me not to put too much on the sight. I let it dry and "don't laugh" it has lasted me over a year until I sold it.

#4 ·
It won't hurt to use some kinda paint. Whichever colors you prefer. The ones you can see the best. Some people's eyes respond differently to different colors. My white ones started wearin off after good cleaning.
I just went to the craft section in Walmart and got some good acrylic enamel.....Testors model paint works well also. Just find some way to get your slide to stand up straight....and then take a toothpick and dip it in the paint....allow the excess to run off, until ya get the little "bubble" on the end of the pick. Just dab it in the sight hole and let it fill it. Several applications my be required to get it even inside the hole
Here's mine....
http://img70.echo.cx/my.php?image=sights4bf.jpg

#8 ·
Chambered said:
On my original XD Service the front sight just seem to lose color over time (probably the way I was cleaning it then) anyway one day I got tired of it not being white, so just as I was leaving for the range that day - I used a bottle of "white out". I let the tip of the brush come close to the dip in the sight so that the fluid was drawn into it. This method allowed me not to put too much on the sight. I let it dry and "don't laugh" it has lasted me over a year until I sold it.
Whiteout pens work nicely as well.
-hype

#10 ·
I tried the Birchwood-Casey pens and they are not worth the money. I now use Testor's Acrylics for models, usualy flourescent green and flourescent orange. This way I have contrast between rear and front sights. Worked well on several of my guns so far.

#11 ·
Anyone tried painting glow-in-the-dark? I'm interested in painting over my white sights with glow paint for DIY night sights.

#12 ·
laivindil said:
Anyone tried painting glow-in-the-dark? I'm interested in painting over my white sights with glow paint for DIY night sights.
I thought about it. Am thinking about this stuff www.glowinc.com . They claim to be the longest lasting glow in the dark paint out there.

#13 ·
I use fishing jig paint. its cheap and is super tough and comes in a ton of colors. Try it out. sportsmans whse has a ton of it for 3.00 a bottle

#16 ·
I've tried acrylic paint, which works OK but it usually gets dirty far faster than I like, or it just flakes off.

The best thing I have found so far is, surprise, the Bright Sights paint. It dries to a tough gloss, and hasn't faded, chipped, or flaked in several years. In some cases it is superior to the factory paint.

I like to fill the dots up with a toothpick until they are flush with the surface of the sight. This keeps dirt out of the depression, and also eliminates the shadows that sometimes make it hard to see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.