Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
......and LOVED it!! I have never paid too much attention to the micro 9's before this. I EDC a Glock 48 MOS. I have about decided that I really need a smaller gun. Well, today at Shootsmart, I rented a Shield Plus, a S&W CSX, a Kimber Mako and a Hellcat. Going down the list, the Shield Plus was fine. A little more recoil than I wanted though I shot it well. The CSX is a much thinner gun than the Plus. I didn't care for it. The Mako was interesting. It felt good in the hand but seemed to have an incredibly light trigger. I fired two double taps without meaning to. It scared me enough that I immediately crossed it off the list.

That leaves the Hellcat. Now mind you, this was a rental, non OSP version. It felt great in the hand. I shot well with it. I liked it a lot. This was like coming home since I started my gun journey with an XD 4.5, an XD M, and finally two XD Mod 2 subcompacts in 9mm and 45 acp. I still have both the Mod 2 guns.

It looks like I will be adding a Hellcat OSP to my EDC rotation soon. I was pleased with the day!

Joe

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
......and LOVED it!! I have never paid too much attention to the micro 9's before this. I EDC a Glock 48 MOS. I have about decided that I really need a smaller gun. Well, today at Shootsmart, I rented a Shield Plus, a S&W CSX, a Kimber Mako and a Hellcat. Going down the list, the Shield Plus was fine. A little more recoil than I wanted though I shot it well. The CSX is a much thinner gun than the Plus. I didn't care for it. The Mako was interesting. It felt good in the hand but seemed to have an incredibly light trigger. I fired two double taps without meaning to. It scared me enough that I immediately crossed it off the list.

That leaves the Hellcat. Now mind you, this was a rental, non OSP version. It felt great in the hand. I shot well with it. I liked it a lot. This was like coming home since I started my gun journey with an XD 4.5, an XD M, and finally two XD Mod 2 subcompacts in 9mm and 45 acp. I still have both the Mod 2 guns.

It looks like I will be adding a Hellcat OSP to my EDC rotation soon. I was pleased with the day!

Joe
2X on the pro especially if you have larger paws. Still thin but just enough longer that I can get a full grip on it.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Reactions: Fulton 722

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would suggest trying the Hellcat Pro before buying the standard Hellcat.
2X on the pro especially if you have larger paws. Still thin but just enough longer that I can get a full grip on it.
But, won't the Pro model still present printing problems? My whole idea to going smaller is to help with easier concealment.

Joe

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It all depends on how you want to carry it. The Pro isn’t that much larger but if you want something to just throw in your pocket it may not work. I used to carry a full size XD 45 and really didn’t have any problem hiding it. It just would get a bit heavy.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I suggest that you try the Sig P365 buying the Hellcat. I had the Hellcat and didn't really care for it. I sold it and bought the little Sig. Bingo! It feels better in the hand and it shoots noticeably softer.

·
Registered
255 Posts
But, won't the Pro model still present printing problems? My whole idea to going smaller is to help with easier concealment.

Joe
It depends on body size and type, where it is being carried on the body, and the cover garment, but the smaller gun will probably be easier to conceal in more places. Plus, if you want a manual safety, that's not an option on the Pro.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have handled both the 365 and the Hellcat. I bought the Hellcat. It fit my hand better. Mine is not the OSP. If it’s for deep conceal no need for an optic. I love mine.

Reactions: YosemiteCedar

·
Registered
85 Posts
I suggest that you try the Sig P365 buying the Hellcat. I had the Hellcat and didn't really care for it. I sold it and bought the little Sig. Bingo! It feels better in the hand and it shoots noticeably softer.
I had a P365, but it would occasionally jam with hollow point ammo. I purchased a Hellcat and not only has it never jammed with any ammo (including HPs), but in my hands it is way more accurate.

I just ordered my second Hellcat because I find it to be the best micro 9mm on the market. Also, I prefer the Hellcat to the Hellcat Pro for concealment. I can even pocket carry my Hellcat, which I rarely do, but it is an option. The Hellcat Pro can not be pocket carried. If you are carrying IWB/OWB, then maybe the Hellcat Pro is a better option.

I just love the conceal-ability of the Hellcat and how well it shoots - and of course, it's extreme reliability. Springfield hit a home run with the Hellcat.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I owned a P365 for a year, went through all the common issues then ditched it when I bought a Hellcat. If you like the broomstick angle of the 365 then maybe it would be OK, but I found it much harder to draw from any holster I tried. My HC does not have that issue nor does it get hot enough to start a fire like my 365 did. As far as recoil, if the slight difference between the 2 bothers a person, they are likely to be bothered by almost any micro 9. Both pistols really set the bar high.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had a P365, but it would occasionally jam with hollow point ammo. I purchased a Hellcat and not only has it never jammed with any ammo (including HPs), but in my hands it is way more accurate.

I just ordered my second Hellcat because I find it to be the best micro 9mm on the market. Also, I prefer the Hellcat to the Hellcat Pro for concealment. I can even pocket carry my Hellcat, which I rarely do, but it is an option. The Hellcat Pro can not be pocket carried. If you are carrying IWB/OWB, then maybe the Hellcat Pro is a better option.

I just love the conceal-ability of the Hellcat and how well it shoots - and of course, it's extreme reliability. Springfield hit a home run with the Hellcat.
The Hellcat Pro would be tempting to me to replace a larger carry gun but not the Hellcat; it seems like a Hellcat-Hellcat Pro combo might be a good pairing for different seasons, but I don't see the Hellcat Pro replacing the Hellcat-- especially when you can buy (well in certain states/localities) a 15 round extended magazine for the Hellcat. For some folks (like me) the Hellcat Pro just would be not as practical in T-Shirt/Polo weather as the Hellcat.

Reactions: RetiredGuns

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I had the exact opposite reaction.
Thought I’d like my 365 but it just didn’t work for me.
I bought a Hellcat Pro and haven’t looked back.
I haven’t sold the 365 YET, but it’s on the chopping block.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Shoot what works best in hand for you. I went back to the Glock 26 from the micro nine carousel without regret.

Reactions: JoeOU1

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
My vote is you’ll like the Hellcat Pro better.
And if not, I say the election was rigged! 😜

1 - 20 of 23 Posts