Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was disassembling my slide for the first time, and couldn't get the extractor out, i was using a custom bent allenwrech the extractor moved somewhat b/c i had to tap it down to reassemble. it's the first time i've tried this and i'm a nervous nelly, (woudn't want to hurt one of my babies!) how hard/how much force should i use to remove it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my xd40 4" is used so i figure it's a good idea, plus i put about 2000 rounds through it. my xd9 3" is new, but has about 1500 rounds down it, (and it's the same procedure)
i followed the directions on xd-hs2000.com, but the extractor just didn't want to budge, (on the service, haven't tried to disassemble the sc) besides there is no harm in knowing all the ins and outs.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
crzybotr

The only other thing I can suggest is carefully pull on the extractor and coax it out. Some of the extractors are vary well set into place. Some have had success by taking a wooden board, then take the slide and smack it against the wood, until the extractor slides out.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
crzybotr

The only other thing I can suggest is carefully pull on the extractor and coax it out. Some of the extractors are vary well set into place. Some have had success by taking a wooden board, then take the slide and smack it against the wood, until the extractor slides out.
ghetto fabulous style

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use a stainless steel dental pick that I picked up at the local surplus store. Don't ask me what they had them. I don't know. It works really well, though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GOT IT!!!!!
just had to go to home depot and get the right tools, it was certainly the toughest piece to get out, thnaks for all the help guys

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
One you get it out the first time it only gets easier, good job on the disassembly thats the first step in truly understanding your firearm.

·
Registered
85 Posts
crzybotr said:
GOT IT!!!!!
just had to go to home depot and get the right tools, it was certainly the toughest piece to get out, thnaks for all the help guys
Okay I'm trying to get mine out. Dental tools, 2x4, it ain't working. Please tell me what tool you used. Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Whew, finally got it out thanks to crzybotr. Told me about a probe set from home depot. Like dental picks, but much harder. Was able to use the 45 degree probe to get under and lever the extractor out. Had to sorta "pump" it out as brute force wasn't working.

Anyways you can get a set like that from home depot or ace hardware. It looks like this:

·
Registered
85 Posts
So I finished retensioning the extractor. I think I tensioned it quite a bit stronger than it was. It was pretty much straight when I started, and I put a noticeable bend in it. Probably too much, but I really don't want any more FTEs :twisted:

Is there a better aftermarket extractor? Perhaps one with a better hook shape or material. I didn't notice until I read an article that the stock extractor grabs very little of the case rim.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts