Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m new to the forum and just bought my XDM today. I was wanting to put the smaller back strap on it but I can’t get the pin out. I have a flat ended punch and have tried pushing the pin out but it won’t budge. How much force should I need? I don’t just want to start banging away at it or something.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you use the correct size punch (it should be slightly smaller than the hole in the grip, can't remember the exact size), you should be able to tap it out with a small hammer. I had to lay mine on a towel on my workbench and tap it lightly with a small hammer. Once it starts moving, you can push it the rest of the way out with the punch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was surprised at how much of a "tap" it took to get the pin to start moving. Just make sure you have the right size punch and make sure the gun is supported firmly then tap it pretty good with a small hammer.

Like Netskimmer said, once you break the pin loose and it starts moving, it should come out pretty easy after that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was thinking about putting a little grease on the pin after I pull it out. What do you think? Would that be safe?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Like Netskimmer said, once you break the pin loose and it starts moving, it should come out pretty easy after that."

LOL, I think you mean dbfxdm. :D

Thanks guys, I was basically just a little nervous about tapping to hard. I got the pin out and back in and swapped out the back strap without incident. Looking forward to squeezing off some rounds tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I was thinking about putting a little grease on the pin after I pull it out. What do you think? Would that be safe?
Not necessary. If it didn't come with no grease it don't need no grease.... ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had problems getting the "pin" out too because it is actually a hollow sleeve, not a pin that is solid. It just takes more force than I expected. The point of a punch seems to try to spread the sleeve instead of drive it out. Just takes a little effort.

·
Registered
463 Posts
If your punch was spreading out the roll pin then the punch was too small. The punch should always be larger than the hole in the roll pin and smaller than the roll pin insertion hole. Knocking out roll pins with the right size punch should be a easy task. Try a slightly larger punch next time.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
These pins are called roll pins & they actually make rollpin punches that have a small bump in the middle to go in the hole that you speak of. Roll pin punches will help keep you from messing up the pin and make for much eaiser removal. Check with a local quality tool supplier & you can purchase a small set however with this gun once you find the correct backstrap for your hand you won't be switching back & forth

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yup, a roll pin punch is the best way to go but if you do not have one be sure to use one of those punches with a flat end instead of a pointy end.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Yes indeed, they are roll pins and roll pin punches are highly recommended so as not to damage the end of the pin. Many hardware suppliers have roll pin punches but of course Brownells has assortments that you can buy. They are not expensive and I did have some and used them to change mine. I think it was a 3/32" punch but dont quote me. I would have to go look and being enscounced in a comfy chair at the moment the desire to remain at rest overrides my curiousity. And yes, some hammering is involved to get it moving as roll pins are designed like springs to provide some tension when in place so they dont move.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts