Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's other post on this subject, but didn't want to read through all of them to find the info I need.
I've never replaced sights before and am trying to replace the stoke XD ones with Trijicon night sights.
I have part of the front sights off from hammering on the underside of the slide with a Starrett punch. The center of the sights broke off, but the sides are still there. How should I go about removing them?
Also how should I remove the back sights?

I don't think what I did was the best way to go about removing the front sights, so any advice will help.

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
I know there's other post on this subject, but didn't want to read through all of them to find the info I need.
I've never replaced sights before and am trying to replace the stoke XD ones with Trijicon night sights.
I have part of the front sights off from hammering on the underside of the slide with a Starrett punch. The center of the sights broke off, but the sides are still there. How should I go about removing them?
Also how should I remove the back sights?

I don't think what I did was the best way to go about removing the front sights, so any advice will help.

Thank you.
You went from the bottom of the slide?

They come out from the side.

Best to use a site sponser here and pay the 15-20 bucks

·
Registered
538 Posts
How are is the site sponsor on here?
There is a list of sponsors from the forum main page. I know many here swear by XD-HS2000.com for their install work. He is a regular poster on this site as well, and is quite knowledgeable.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
You should have read some of the threads on here before trying to remove them sounds like you might have damaged your slide.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Most people use specific sight presses, not a hammer and punch. I personally use James at xd-hs2000.com, the mentioned site sponser. Great service and prices.

·
Registered
407 Posts
just take it to any local gunsmith. they'll do it for cheap and usually laser bore sight it for you. (and they wont break your rear sight to do it) ;)

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
just take it to any local gunsmith. they'll do it for cheap and usually laser bore sight it for you. (and they wont break your rear sight to do it) ;)
Not to put down "any gunsmith" but I have read a few threads her on XDTalk about people having their local gunsmith completely botch the job. Its best to use a smith who has done a good amount of XD sights

·
Registered
715 Posts
Not to put down "any gunsmith" but I have read a few threads her on XDTalk about people having their local gunsmith completely botch the job. Its best to use a smith who has done a good amount of XD sights
agreed, seen it as well as read it. the XD/XDM is not the gun you want to learn on, consistently one of the tightest dovetails I've seen, they've even been known to break sight pushers.

that hole under the front sight has nothing to do with removal or install unless there is a witness mark on the bottom of the front sight. hopefully the OP didn't cause to much damage to the front dovetail, what remains front sight is likely going to be a real bugger to get out now.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
OMG!!! :shock:.....OP- 2 post. I think I would of looked this one up before I started beating on my pistol with a hammer and punch.

OH well......I hope you havn't royally screwed up your XD. Quit while your ahead dude and send it with your sights to XD-HS2000

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doesn't seem to have any damage to the slide, but should prove to be more of a bitch to remove the front sight. I'll be passing the job off to XD-HS2000 on Monday.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Doesn't seem to have any damage to the slide, but should prove to be more of a bitch to remove the front sight. I'll be passing the job off to XD-HS2000 on Monday.
good choice, just make sure you touch basis with James @ XD-HS2000 and let him know you already made an attempt if you haven't already

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Hey my power is back on I think permanently now. There is nothing wrong with a local smith just make sure that they have done this job before. And if they warrant their work, most wont. If they break the sights you gave them to install they will tell you sorry. There was one thread about a smith who told a member trijicon lowered the quality and went to a weaker two piece design. My standard is if I break your property I replace it.

Aurum you don`t have to use me just please do not beat the new sights in with a punch. You risk gouging the slide, smudging the finish, or breaking the vials.
XD-HS2000.com - DIY Gone Wrong

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey my power is back on I think permanently now. There is nothing wrong with a local smith just make sure that they have done this job before. And if they warrant their work, most wont. If they break the sights you gave them to install they will tell you sorry. There was one thread about a smith who told a member trijicon lowered the quality and went to a weaker two piece design. My standard is if I break your property I replace it.

Aurum you don`t have to use me just please do not beat the new sights in with a punch. You risk gouging the slide, smudging the finish, or breaking the vials.
XD-HS2000.com - DIY Gone Wrong
I'll be putting in my order Monday with you.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I'll be putting in my order Monday with you.
Good Choice !!! I like to DIY on some things, but when it comes to handgun sights, I just don't feel comfortable with my skills, so I use James, you won't be sorry. :D

All he needs is the stripped slide, your new sights, and it all fits in that 'VHS Tape' sized USPS box for shipping. A great service from the postal service and James returns them that way.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Sending it to ajamesp51 is a good decision.

Several of my local gunsmiths have signage that states specifically that they will not work on XD sights......

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sending it to ajamesp51 is a good decision.

Several of my local gunsmiths have signage that states specifically that they will not work on XD sights......

sorry i guess i shouldnt have said ''ANY local gunsmith". anyone can install glock sights. but xd sights are a lot more intense. i have a particular smith that does good work and has worked on my xd's---he's actually installing some trijjy's on my xd45 right now lol.

if you cant find a local smith that you will trust with your baby-send it to james. experiance is important.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can also use YouTube to see some sight removal videos. Just search for "sight intallation" or "sight removal". There are some very good vids out there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts