Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a shotgun that previously belonged to my grandfather. It's a 16 Guage pump that is around 40+ years old. The past few years it was not taken care of and was left in a closet in a shop. It's accumulated quite a bit of rust. I'd like to restore it at the very minimum to where it at least looks good. I used clp and some of the rust came off. However, there is still alot on the outside. Anyone have suggestions on what to use and how? I'm unsure if using rust type removers will damage the gun or finish. Obviously it has alot of meaning to me. This may not be the best spot in the forum for this question but since it pertains to a shotgun I posted here. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Did you use a brass bristled brush? That, along with CLP and a lot of scrubbing is the safest way I know of to remove rust from blued steel. Pack your patience...its not easy.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I have used Hoppes 9 with brass brushes to remove rust before; it worked surprisingly well.

Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Steel works too but can leave fine bits left that can accelerate the rust again later on.

Try the fine brass wool with some oil on it first. Its gonna be the least abusive to the finish.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Have you considered getting the rust off then re bluing? It would help stop the rust in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I bought my nephew a used mossberg 500 youth model last year. It was in very rough shape, no pitting but the finish on the steel parts was all rust. Took me about two hours to remove the old finish with a couple of scotch brite pads and a bottle of cold blue from academy. Still looks like it just left the factory. Basically you remove the finish, clean the surface with hot soapy water (I used dawn), dry, apply cold blue, let sit for a minute, rinse with water. Repeat until your desired result is achieved.

Sure, it's not hot blue but for an $80 shotgun, it worked great.

Sent via dixie cup string phone.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My hope is that once I get the rust removed I will be able to maintain with the rest of my guns. It accumulated the rust from not being cleaned in probably 20 years honestly.

Lots of good tips fellas, I really appreciate it! I can't wait to get it looking good.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Yeah, I make it a habit to wipe all mine down about once a month.

I need to give them a good soak in some rem oil soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts