Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

Anyone ever remove material from the chamber indicator so that it doesn't pop up when
a round is chambered? I added new sights and now I can see the top of the chamber
indicator when looking through the sights and it's driving me nuts.

I was thinking of ordering a backup indicator from pistolgear.com and removing material
so that it doesn't pop up when a round is chambered. Since I press check all my carry
pistols before holstering, this indicator is useless to me.

If doing something like this results in a unsafe weapon, than I'll leave it be and deal with
it.

Opinions, suggestions?

thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
You could just remove it entirely. On another note which sights did you get that are at that low of a sight plane?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could just remove it entirely. On another note which sights did you get that are at that low of a sight plane?
Thanks for the reply.

Removing it may be an option. For some reason I didn't think of that.

I have a front site from Dawson. Trijicon 160T/.125W

I tried to post the link to it, but this reply is actually my 2nd post to this forum and need
10 posts.

Although I just got a meprolight with the same height/width I may install. Tritium insert
on the meprolight seems brighter.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
What kind of pistol?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
It is obviously from the XD line but which pistol. Regular old XD, XDM or XDS? Just wondering because the indicator on my XDM and XDS only sticks up .05 to .06 Nowhere near my line of sight.

Just saw that he posted it was an XDS while writing my last post.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
It is obviously from the XD line but which pistol. Regular old XD, XDM or XDS? Just wondering because the indicator on my XDM and XDS only sticks up .05 to .06 Nowhere near my line of sight.

what forum are you in?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
lol :facepalm:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Maybe I got to short of a sight. It's .160T which I thought was the default height. I don't have my calipers just yet, being shipped today actually so haven't measured my indicator height.

It's just the very top of the indicator that I see. It doesn't effect accuracy, just more annoying than anything.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I don't know the factory front sight post height but will measure when I get home from work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If it were mine I would file off just enough from the top tip that it didn't obsturct the sights and then reblue with some cold blue.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
those must be low low profile sights :eek: I honestly cannot wrap my head around the problem...not discounting it, just unable to make it compute...some pictures may be in order

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Post 24 has the answer you seek.
If it were mine I would file off just enough from the top tip that it didn't obsturct the sights and then reblue with some cold blue.
Perfect. I like this far better than grinding down the underside of the indicator. Going to give this method a shot.

Thanks to the both of you.

Brian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
those must be low low profile sights :eek: I honestly cannot wrap my head around the problem...not discounting it, just unable to make it compute...some pictures may be in order
I can see your point. I'm not sure my iphone camera can capture it, but will take
some pics tonight. It's barely visible, but very distracting. Although at the range it
doesn't effect my accuracy.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Mine is .17 tall from the factory. But looking down my sight I could see the indicator. It blends in with the rest of the frame so I never noticed it before. Never bothered me before I noticed it so no biggie. To the OP, I see you point now and filing would be your best bet.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Front sight ... front sight .... front sight

When aiming your focus should be on front sight. Just sayin'

1 - 20 of 31 Posts