Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
As you are looking at the slide as if you were aiming, tap them out from the right (ejection port) side to the left. Install left to right. They may be tough to get out. Trying placing the slide in the freezer for about an hour then try removing them.
If you dont't have the tools, I would recommend taking it to a gunsmith and pay the few bucks. Saves a lot of frustration.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Hammer and brass punch and a fine tooth wedge file. Some have had to resort to a steel punch with the tough ones. This usually results in damaging the slide. Its worth $20-30 to have a gunsmith do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Take it to a gunsmith. Just had fiber optic put on mine (oops, hers. :D )...
Gunsmith said he couldn't ever remember sights being that tight and difficult to get off. He did a great job, but watching it, I could NOT have done it without damage. Spend the bucks, get a piece of mind. Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I was lucky, I had to send my slide into SA for a rust issue and just ask them to leave the sights out after a refinish job

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info and advise!

I have 2 XD and I may send one to the gunsmith and I may do the other myself. Not that im trying to save a buck. I'm just a do-it-yourself kinda guy. I would like to try to change my sights myself for the satisfaction.

Please post anything else that would be helpfull

·
Registered
245 Posts
R Dub said:
Hammer and brass punch and a fine tooth wedge file. Some have had to resort to a steel punch with the tough ones. This usually results in damaging the slide. Its worth $20-30 to have a gunsmith do it.
1 - Put my slide in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
2 - Put the slide in a vice with a rubber pad on either side.
3 - I had an aluminum rod handy (about 3/8" diameter) to hammer (and I mean HAMMER) it out. I had to hit the rod probably 30 times to get it to move. I was hitting the rear sight so hard that I kept having to increase the torque on the vice so that the frame would not slip out.

From what I've read, the slides are removed by pushing them out the right side of the gun. But it will probably work either way. See toward the bottom of the following topic to see how I installed new sights. http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=20109&highlight=removal

To be sure I didn't damage the new sights, I used a wooden dowel to hammer them on - after a bit of filing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine was so tight i thought i was gonna have to have em milled out.I'm not joking i got mine out right to left finally with a brass punch . Be careful and good luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
R Dub said:
As you are looking at the slide as if you were aiming, tap them out from the right (ejection port) side to the left. Install left to right. They may be tough to get out. Trying placing the slide in the freezer for about an hour then try removing them.
If you dont't have the tools, I would recommend taking it to a gunsmith and pay the few bucks. Saves a lot of frustration.
I thought the general gunsmith rule was to tap pins and sights out from left to right, and install from right to left. Is there something different on the XD's that negates that general rule? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Yes take them out the way they were put in. The xd has its sights put in from left to right so take them out from right to left, this will give you the least resistance. This come from personal experence installing anywhere from 3 to 5 sights a day it is a whole lot easier to do it this way. And in fact meprolight in there installation instructions also suggests you do it this way. Why have to fight against virgin dove tail to the left. The dove tail to the right has already had the metal to metal grinding against each other. Plus why scratch the finish all the way through the dove tail at least if you go the way thats been suggested only have your dovetail finish shows wear.

Also tapping the some of the xd`s pins out left to right will also **** up the xd. The locking block pin and trigger pin rest in a detent pin that rests inside the frame. If you tap the pins out left to right then the pin leaves the detent and put vary little stress on the detent since its only on the right side of the frame. But if you tap it to the left well thats different now your pushing and torquing on the detent and may even pop it out now you have a whole lot more trouble. You proved one point though even though a gunsmith does not mean he will know what hes doing with the xd.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
My 'smith charged me $10 to install my Firesights. It was worth that to me not to go thru the brain damage of trying to get them out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the advise on this project!

I ended up sending the .40 to Gander Mountain. They installed the sights for $25. Not a bad price and I enjoy going there to look around anyway :D

The 9mm I installed myself and it was a pain in the AZZ, but at least I can say I've installed sights on an XD.

Now for picks

When you gotta go, you gotta, go.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Now that's an advertisement!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts