Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to install night sights on my xds,,have done it before on my glocks it was super smooth, and easy. For those who have done it..how hard are they to remove ??

·
Registered
834 Posts
Don't even try. It is not a glock.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I was told by a gunshop, you need a sight removal tool. They are in there pretty tight. It's not like a Glock, where you knock it out with a punch.

·
Premium Member
128,168 Posts
Take it to a reputable gunsmith.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
just send it to james. most gunsmiths cant/wont do xd sights. if you try to do them yourself you will probably break something.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I had a local gunsmith tell me he would "have to mill out your sights" because "Springfields are a b***h to work on". Oh yeah - he would also have to charge me double since it was a Springfield.
There is a guy on this forum named James that can do it for you. I just had him put Truglo TFO sights on my XDm. You have to send the slide to him but he does great work, knows how to work on Springfields and has the proper tooling to do it right. Also if you buy the sights from him the installation is free. His web site is: xd-hs2000
He has done sights and other gunsmith work for many of the folks on this forum and comes highly recommended. Check him out.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
There is a guy on this forum named James that can do it for you. I just had him put Truglo TFO sights on my XDm. You have to send the slide to him but he does great work, knows how to work on Springfields and has the proper tooling to do it right. Also if you buy the sights from him the installation is free. His web site is: xd-hs2000
He has done sights and other gunsmith work for many of the folks on this forum and comes highly recommended. Check him out.
Yep! No one else will ever replace sights on any of my 3 XD's.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Well, you won't remove these like your Glock.

Save your headaches, and send it to XDTalk's resident smith. XD-HS2000.com

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the replies, but he doesn't have xs big dots on stock, and I love those sights, will see.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
You might email him about the sights. When I was looking at the TFO's his web site listed them as out of stock. I sent him an email from his web site contact page asking when they would be in stock. Got an email back telling me they were in stock - he just hadn't updated the web site yet.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Thanks guys for the replies, but he doesn't have xs big dots on stock, and I love those sights, will see.
For some reason my Distributor dropped them off the list.

Yes you can send the sights with the slide:

For a sight install

You can use the following link to order the service:
http://shop.xd-hs2000.com/Gunsmithing_c55.htm

You will have the options to pay using Visa or MC on-line. Or when you check out use the "Print & Call" method for the payment if you would like to pay using cash or Money Order.*

The cost for a sight install is 25.00 and that includes the return shipping.*

Our turnaround time is currently running at between 24-48hrs.*

Here is our packing and shipping help page:
www.xdman.com
Under shipping help

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For some reason my Distributor dropped them off the list.

Yes you can send the sights with the slide:

For a sight install

You can use the following link to order the service:
Gunsmithing

You will have the options to pay using Visa or MC on-line. Or when you check out use the "Print & Call" method for the payment if you would like to pay using cash or Money Order.*

The cost for a sight install is 25.00 and that includes the return shipping.*

Our turnaround time is currently running at between 24-48hrs.*

Here is our packing and shipping help page:
XD-HS2000.com
Under shipping help
Will do, I placed the order for the sights today, they should be here next week, as soon I get them will send it to you.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I recently removed the front and rear sights on my XD9 Service model which was about 7 years old so I could install some Dawson Adjustable FO sights.

The front was no problem using a sight removal tool. The rear is another story. It required a padded 6" vise, a steel punch and a 6lb hammer plus a bit of heat from a propane torch which was just for my own satisfaction. It is something not for the faint of heart or for those who are unfamiliar with gunsmithing techniques. It can be done, but you must have the tools and confidence to use them PROPERLY so you don't ding things up. As it was I thought the rear sights would be unusable, but actually they are so hard that they barely show any mark at all and could be reinstalled should I care to do so.

So... though I wouldn't want to do this on a daily basis, it can be done. People that do it all the time will most likely have a hydraulic press/jack set up for this sort of thing which would be ideal in my opinion.

Installing the new sights is a walk in the park with a standard sight tool and a triangular file for fitting.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I recently removed sights off my xd9sc and as stated above its easy with a sight pusher on the front but the rears are a bitch... what I did was punched it out with no issues.... yesterday I installed both front and rear sight with a metal punch .... honestly it's easy if you take your time and take precautions ... do your own and you will get a satisfaction out of it.... goodluck... oh by the way first time doing it and I am happy about the outcome...

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Xd sights are actually pretty easy to remove and install your own night sights. Just make sure you wrap the slide to prevent scratches. I use a simple clamp on table vice, Nothing special at all. As long as the slide is secure and doesn't move around. A few taps with a punch will remove them. Then you have to fit the sights. Press them into the dovetail, if its too tight just take a file and slowly remove a bit of material. Take your time with the fitting. Pass the file once or twice and check again. Once the sights can get about 1/3 into the dovetail you can use a sight pusher or a brass punch. Removing the sights and installing new ones never takes me more than 15-20 mins. It's really not that hard to do just dont rush. Thats how you scratch the slide and make mistakes

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I plan to install night sights on my xds,,have done it before on my glocks it was super smooth, and easy. For those who have done it..how hard are they to remove ??
SEND IT TO JAMES!!!

It took me a 3# maul, a broken 3/32" punch, a bench vise, lots of sweat, about two hours, and several cusswords I invented especially for the project.

SENT IT TO JAMES!!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SEND IT TO JAMES!!!

It took me a 3# maul, a broken 3/32" punch, a bench vise, lots of sweat, about two hours, and several cusswords I invented especially for the project.

SENT IT TO JAMES!!!
Already did it, and got it back.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts