Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried to remold a kydex holster? I have CBST and will be changing carry guns from XDm to EMP. I think it woul be possible seeing as how it is going to a smaller gun. I guess my only concern is if you could heat it up and mold it to a gun or if you have to use a "model" of that gun. Do you think it would hurt the finish or risk resolidifying on my nice little EMP?
any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you can remove it from the leather backing, its totally simple to remold kydex. Just put it on a cookie sheet (No joke) and put it in the oven at about 150 degrees for 2 or three minutes. It'll flatten out into a little sheet, and you can make it do whatever you want. But then your holes won't line up. So you'll have to redo those.

I SWEAR if you take it out in the right amount of time, it won't liquify. Its a fairly simple process.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I agree w/ Zwarlord. But if you must do it yourself, it is extremely easy. If you can remove the rivets, they can be replaced with a screw/nut set. Not the conventional style of course, but something that fits flush. It is a job I would gladly take on myself if it were my holster.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Never "remolded" one but I have made a few. I mold them directly off the gun and never had any problems with it affecting the finish of the gun or accessories (light, lasers). What you are suggesting might work, but I would highly recommended starting from scratch. There was a considerable learning period for me working with the kydex, and it would be easy to screw up your expensive holster. Knifekits.com sells 12" square sheets of kydex for 5bucks, along with everything else you will need.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You could do what thrash is suggesting and mold a new kydex shell, and then just mount it on your current leather backing from crossbreed. We all know that its a tried and true piece of work, why change perfect?

Just mold/cut it to fit the new gun. Then install it on the leather back with a screw set similar to the one used to attach the metal clips. It'd be pretty darn simple. The good thing about kydex is that when you mess up all you really gotta do it heat it up and start again.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I think ill give it a try

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gonna try this tonight or tomorrow, ill be sure to include some pics. Thanx for the help guys

·
Registered
17,817 Posts
I might have to send my crossbreed back to them...the kydex on my 1911 stretched or got out of mold...they are GREAT though at taking care of the problems...last holster I sent back to em after maybe 1.5 years of beating the bejesus out of it (carrying almost 24/7) and they sent me a brand spanking new one with NEW steel clips for free!

I just can't go a week or so w/o a holster...I feel nekkid w/o Miss Marlboro by my side!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
If you can remove it from the leather backing, its totally simple to remold kydex. Just put it on a cookie sheet (No joke) and put it in the oven at about 150 degrees for 2 or three minutes. It'll flatten out into a little sheet, and you can make it do whatever you want. But then your holes won't line up. So you'll have to redo those.

I SWEAR if you take it out in the right amount of time, it won't liquify. Its a fairly simple process.
I've made a couple dozen Kydex holsters and other accessories. 150° F will not be adequate to re-mold Kydex. I use a toaster oven set to 375° F for about 5 minutes (starting from a cold oven) on .08 Kydex. Your results will vary depending on the oven. DO NOT heat Kydex to temps greater than 400° F. It will release harmful fumes.

Also, be prepared to waste some Kydex as you learn what works and what doesn't. If you heat the Kydex too long it will begin to puddle. Once it has reached this point, the durability has been compromised. You can tell if you've heated Kydex too long as the textured side will become shiny.

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, i did it. It took a couple of tries and im not sure if im totally done. Overall its easy, i took my wifes hair dryer and about 30 seconds on area you want to shape and thats it. I think my biggest problem is going from xdm to emp is i have some extra kydex, so to remedy, i just made trigger guard quite tight so it "locks" into place. I opted to leave it on leather so i didnt have to redo rivets. I placed an ink pen refill on top of slide to keep sight channel from being too tight.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i redid my holster from scratch...

scratch

i drilled out the rivets, took about 5 minutes...

put in oven @ 365 for 5 minutes and let it go back flat...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i took the insides of an ink pen and taped to the top to provide a clear sight channel when drawing..

I then laid kydex over gun and molded it at angle i wanted..

then i drilled new holes in leather, and scooted over a little as my homemade combat cut for xdm9c didnt quite cover safety on my EMP, and put new rivets on, they aren't black, but all i could find...

very glad i tried this project on, as it cost me 4 dollars, and at 6 rivets per holster, i could remold to another 16 and 2/3 of a holster for free.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Great thread, I have a buddy who is selling a Kydex he had for his Glock and I was hoping to reshape it for my XD with a TLR-1 on it. Do you think that's feasible? Seems so from this thread...

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
25 Posts
Funny I find this thread now. I just traded my G22 for a XDm9 compact. I have a CrossBreed SuperTuck clone that I wanted to make fit my new to me XDm. I pulled out my heat gun and crossed my fingers. There was barely enough material to go around the trigger guard (I guess it's larger than on the Glock) but I got it to work. If I had seen this thread sooner I wouldnt have felt so bad about doing it, but it all worked out great.

M2XD, If the holster is for a Glock without a light I dont think it would work unless the holster has plenty of extra material.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great thread, I have a buddy who is selling a Kydex he had for his Glock and I was hoping to reshape it for my XD with a TLR-1 on it. Do you think that's feasible? Seems so from this thread...

Cheers! M2
yeah i dont think you would have enough material to cover your light. But there are a lot of place that sell kydex sheets cheap enough. I think alot of people get it from ebay.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts