Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of mine offered to sell me his Remington 30.06 for $300. Semi auto, it's in great shape. Seems like a pretty good deal to me, just wanted to check for any insight you all may be able to offer. I'm guessing there are guys here with far more knowledge of the rifle than I have.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Friend of mine offered to sell me his Remington 30.06 for $300. Semi auto, it's in great shape. Seems like a pretty good deal to me, just wanted to check for any insight you all may be able to offer. I'm guessing there are guys here with far more knowledge of the rifle than I have.
And you got it, right?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And you got it, right?
Planning on picking it up next week, just wanted some opinions on the rifle from the guys here. All my rifle experience has been with bolt action. Main thing I love about this rifle is that it's old, and unregistered.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Great shape for $300? Yep. If I was even thinking about one I would buy it.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
If its in great shape you can't go wrong for that price. Those are really nice rifles.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm assuming it's the old 742 Woodsman. Around my area it would be about impossible to get $300 out of one. Some gun shops won't even accept them in trade. There was a recent thread on another forum about gun shops refusing to accept them in trade.

Not to inflame any 742 owners that say there rifle will shoot 1/2" groups as 100 yards all day long, but the 742 wasn't known as an accurate rifle. There are always exceptions of course.

They also tend to wear out fairly quickly if fired a lot. I've seen a number of them over the years that were worn out. One Remington authorized repair center once told me that the 742 wasn't designed to have any major repairs done it them. They may very well last the average deer hunter all his life, but if you shoot one a great deal, they will were out to the point your left with hunk of scrap metal.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Is it a woodsman, or a 750 woodsmaster? If so, that's a steal!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts