Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any use the remington umc rounds? im thinking about getting some for my break-in strings and all around plinking. just wondering if they are clean and what barrel erosion will be with them.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I like 'em- a lot. The .40/180/JHP is my carry load, and shoots well enough for a bullseye match. Their 180 FMJ is a good load too, with enough velocity to rivet the bullet a bit.

If you do a search on my user name you'll find quite a bit of info on this ammo in .40 caliber.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Barrel erosion? :?
Not sure what you mean by that.
Before I picked up reloading . I shot up few umc value packs the crimp is not very smooth and some have had feeding issues but both my Xd's gobbled them up.Not very clean would blacken the end of my silver armory coat in a couple rounds but all functioned and grouped well

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've put several hundred through my XD9 with no problems. I'll keep using it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My XD9 loves the UMC ammo. Well, it loves ALL ammo. :D Never had a problem with UMC. I've probably put about 500 rounds of UMC through my XD9 in about 18 months of ownership.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've never had a problem with UMC in 9mm. I've shot a lot of it. I like reloading the UMC (R-P) cases. They seem to have good brass thickness and neck tension. Maybe a little dirtier than others but not excessively so.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
Like the others, I have no idea what is meant by barrel erosion.

But, yes I've used that ammo quite a bit in my XDSC (9mm). It always went back and I had FTE issues. I've fired with some being a little hotter than others. But it's been a good inexpensive plinking ammo for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
basically eating up my feed ramp and the beginning of my barrel because of bad powder or whatever. i dont know if it happens with pistols, but ive changed a couple of m16 barrels because of that
:shock:

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
I love UMC especially the green box stuff "Leadless" (it's super clean) but since I still have a lot of Wolf and S&B I'll take the dirtiness if it means I can shoot more often for less $$.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
your not going to see any barrel throat erosion unless you start pushing them babies to 3000 fps and fire 30-40 thousand of them...lol. As a matter of fact, you wont even need to replace a pistol barrel until you have well over 100,000 rounds through it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
You want to see barrel erosion, try a 55gr bullet at 4200fps, then you'll see barrel erosion :shock: . I think it was called a 22 Cheeta or somthing like that, and the barrels lasted about 1000 rounds.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Of the about 3000 rounds of UMC I've put through my XD40, I haven't had a single problem with it. One of my shooting buddies and I went through case in one day each, and neither one of us had a single problem. I would reccomend it for anyone looking for cheap ammo, but I don't shy away from the Winchester White Box at my local Wal-Mart either.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
A early high velocity varmint round the .220 Swift was notorious for barrel erosion. For service issue pistol ammo like 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP and many many more, barrel erosion is non existant. Our handgun barrels will likely serve many generations to come.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I shot steadily UMC in 9, 45, 38, 357.
Never an issue. I get mine at Dicks sporting goods however, they want the same price for 40 as 45 so I go the Wally for the white box.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts