Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
Great article. I remember longing for one back in the late 60s... ended up buying a cheaper Mossberg .22 bolt action. Still have that Mossberg, too... (346KC) but sure wish I had the Nylon 66. ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yep, they're a great little rifle. I've got one that I shoot all the time, given to me by my dad. He bought it new many years ago and we've put 10's of thousands of rounds through it.

·
Registered
29,768 Posts
The first gun I ever bought myself was a Nylon 77--the detachable mag fed version. It was a great rifle, but I was young & dumb (14, iirc) and traded it off...

I have a regular 66 now; sorry, no pics, I keep it out at my parents' farm for bunny bouncing when I visit. The only drawback I've found with it is that the receiver is a little flimsy for scope mounting; I 've found scopes tend not to hold a zero. But, since I can roll a pop can easily with irons at about 50 yards, I just gave up on the scope.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
First gun I ever shot.
A friend and I were just talking about them on Wednesday.
Great gun.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
They have a used on in the local shop selling for $109. Not sure what year it was made. I may have to take a second look at it.

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
Hi zip! You still have your
collection of the '66s?

Ed

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I have one, just like the one above - Apache Black with the chrome receiver and barrel. My brother has one as well, both inherited from our Grandad.

Quite a fun piece of functional Flash Gordon!

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
My favorite early Remmy 22 autoloader has got to be the Model 550. Much more well made than the Nylon 66 and alot more accurate.

I still think that the best 22 auto rifles ever made were the Winchester Model 63 and the Browning Automatic 22. Neither are cheap, though!

- Brickboy240

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
They have a used on in the local shop selling for $109. Not sure what year it was made. I may have to take a second look at it.
You may want to pick it up if you are interested.....I saw one at a gun show early fall and was priced something like 250 I think.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Could be the Brazilian copy from CBC, although I hear they aren't bad either. Either way, I would get it quick for $109!

My Apache Black with chrome receiver (although my pic makes it look all black). I just got this one a year ago and I am glad to have it. You see, I had one back in the 80s brand new, never fired. I got it home and something inside was rattling around. I took it back and the store didn't have a replacement, so I got my money back. That one still haunts me to this day :(. I like the one I have now, although it wasn't as clean as I once had.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I have a 66, it was the first gun I bought with my own hard earned money.:)

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
My dad bought a Nylon 76 years ago, and gave it to me a couple of years ago. It's turd brown. I think it's a P.O.S. I don't want to seel it or trade it, but I don't think I will ever shoot it again. Too many other better choices. :wink:

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
My first gun. My Dad bought it for me back in the early 60's. Killed my first rabbit with it. Because of the alloy receiver that goofy painted on finish got all scratched up and I decided to try to refinish it. Didn't work and I never finished it. Forgot what happened to it now but wish I still had it.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Could be the Brazilian copy from CBC, although I hear they aren't bad either. Either way, I would get it quick for $109!

My Apache Black with chrome receiver (although my pic makes it look all black). I just got this one a year ago and I am glad to have it. You see, I had one back in the 80s brand new, never fired. I got it home and something inside was rattling around. I took it back and the store didn't have a replacement, so I got my money back. That one still haunts me to this day :(. I like the one I have now, although it wasn't as clean as I once had.
Looked at it again the other day when my friend found his SKS, and it's definitely an original and still there. I'd pick it up, but right now I'm reworking my marlin 70, and the wife would freak if I brought another gun home :lol:. They also have one of the old Mossbergs with the folding forward grip next to it for 85.00. Both are in ok shape, just not in the market right now. It was interesting to handle both of them though, never saw either one in person before. I figure I'll be seeing a lot more in there that I haven't seen before. The locals are getting caught up in the need a AK/AR before they ban em' all frenzy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DMWyatt,Would you mind sending me the name and phone # of shop, I have one but would like to get another. Thanks b996

·
Registered
709 Posts
I was able to finally find a magazine for my 77 and for years thought it was Remington Apache 77 not Nylon 77 since I lost the original mag running around the woods when I was little, and never could find a mag for it online until I went with it to the gun show today picked up two brand new ones for $10 a piece. So now I have a .22 again.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I bought a brand new Rem nylon 66 as my first gun back about the early 1970's from a sporting gun shop in Manhattan called Kauffmans which is no longer in business I think that I paid about $75.00 new for the apache black with a chrome bbl, have shot dozens of ground hogs with it with one shot kills using CCI stinger ammo great stuff, I was just wondering what that gun is worth today its still in mint condition, with its zytel stock ? if anyone has a ball park figure, for the Rem 66 post it please just cuerious :confused: thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a Nylon 66 given to me by my Father-in-law, who worked at DuPont and was in the Nylon 66 program in the early 50's. Showed him the article when he came for Christmas. By the way, he told me he purchased it in 1968 from Montgomery Ward for $49.95. Shoots pretty good at 60 yards with the iron sights.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
have the reminton 66 and the sister lever action too.both have tons ammo though them still work flawless.got them from my dad////////////:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts