Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in purchasing a good home defense shotgun and several articles I've read say the Remington Model 870 is a great one to get. I noticed they have a few different 870's that have an 18" barrel. Which one is the best to get if it will be purely for home defense?

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
You can never go wrong with a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 or 590 for home defense. You won't break the bank with either and an 18 inch barrel is the standard length for home protection. Another bonus, you can mod the heck out of both the remington and the mossberg if you choose.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Forgot to mention....I own both the 870 and the 500....I prefer my 870 but consider them both excellent shotguns.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention....I own both the 870 and the 500....I prefer my 870 but consider them both excellent shotguns.
Which 870 do you own? I was looking on the website and saw two models that are 18". The Express Synthetic 18" and the Marine Magnum.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Mine is an 870 Magnum factory top folding stock, the stock is no longer in production. Both the 870 and the top folding stock were former police shotguns.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I've noticed Big 5 has a "MOSSBERG 6-SHOT 12-GA. SECURITY SHOTGUN." Is it a 500, 590, or something else?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the 870 express with the extended magazine and 18" barrel and its a great gun. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I bought a 870 express with 26" barrel and then later bought a 18" remington police barrel. Never had any failures. Would defineitly recommend a 870!

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
I bought a 870 express with 26" barrel and then later bought a 18" remington police barrel. Never had any failures. Would defineitly recommend a 870!
+1

Buy the standard 3" mag 870 Express and buy a 18.5" barrel and magazine extension for it. It literally only takes 35 seconds (I timed it) to change the barrel and mag extension.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Before getting my XDm, I kept a Remington 870 Marine Magnum beside the bed. Great gun. Used in skeet shootin too (nothing serious, just some good ole boys with a walmart thrower). Never had a problem.

I'm considering installing a light on the gun and getting it back out of the closet. My only reason for putting it away was I ended up more likely to grab the XD in the middle of the night instead of the long gun to investigate noises. Just seemed easier to grab the handgun. Plus, without a gun mounted light, it was kinda hard to have a flashlight in one hand and a 12 ga in the other (thought not impossible).

I also used an elastic shell holder on the stock (cut a small hole to let the sling swivel stick through). Gave me 1 round in the chamber, 6 in the mag, and 5 more on the stock.

I also have a 28" 870 I use for goose hunting. Only probem I ever had was a weakened spring in the magazine. It would let the ast shell jam up. Replaced the spring, and its back in action.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Beware you will have to do a lil mod if you install the mag extension on a newer 870. Hopefully its not too difficult since I have to do mine soon. If I ever get my barrel from Gunbroker.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I have an 870 and love it. Never had it fail to do anything. Goes bang every time I pull the trigger. I have mine equipped with and Uncle Mikes stock saddle for an additional 5 rounds, a Galco BATTL sling and a Streamlight M-3 with pressure pad on the foregrip.

I would like to put a Knoxx Spec Ops stock and Surefire foregrip on sometime, I like the M-3 but hate having to take it off when I clean the gun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2 of the 870's and 1 mossberg 500 they are IMHO great defense weapons as well as a deer hunting weapon Just racking the slide will make an intruder wet their pants and jump right back out of where they came in at for I have had that happen with the wife when I was working grave yard shift :cool: LOL just my 2 cents:cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
If i was interested in getting a remington 870 for home defense but would also like to use it for skeet shooting, would it be better to buy a 870 with an 18" barrel and purchase another 26" barrel or buy a remington 870 with a 26" barrel and purchase another 18" barrel? Just wondering which would be the most cost effective and saving me the most money.

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
If i was interested in getting a remington 870 for home defense but would also like to use it for skeet shooting, would it be better to buy a 870 with an 18" barrel and purchase another 26" barrel or buy a remington 870 with a 26" barrel and purchase another 18" barrel? Just wondering which would be the most cost effective and saving me the most money.
I'd get the 26" barrel first (easier to find that way) and then get a 18.5" barrel. I saw a 18.5" barrel at Cabelas this week for $119.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Check with the places you shoot skeet, the two places I shoot sporting clays and trap will not let you out with anything less than a 24 inch barrel. I am also in CA and it may be some retarded state law.

I too have an 870 with a Butler Creek folding stock, love it.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I would get the 18.5" barrel and extended mag home defense package first, then get the 26" barrel. Unless home defense is less important than shooting targets. I love my 870. i got the Hogue forend grip and Hogue "tamer" pistol grip. Even my friend's girlfriend could shoot it accurately from the hip without an issue. It's a great gun!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts