Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found one new for $300, a 30-06.

Why am i finding people talking crap about it.

Only buying for target shooting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The 770 is a joke. if you don't push the bolt in perfectly straight it binds up. You can get a real 700 for not much more than that. I picked up a 700 in 30-06 with a scope and camo stock for $449 at walmart this weekend. The synthetic black stock version was only $397.

·
Registered
19,742 Posts
I wouldn't take a free 770 if I was told I'd have to use it over my other bolt gun. there are so many better uses of $300 in the bolt gun world it boggles the mind.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've got probably 2,000 rounds through my 770 in ot6. I've have never had a single problem. The Bushnell scope that it comes with is not that great though. If you're looking for something that's ready to go right out of the box, and will hit something at 100-200yrds, then the 770 is really not that bad. If you're looking for something better than that, save up for a better rifle.

My dad has a 700 and that is going to be my next hunting rifle. I'll be handing down my 770 to my son because it is a great starter rifle and buying a 700 for myself. IMO the 700 is an ideal hunting rifle.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I wouldn't piss on the best part of a 770. Even if they functioned extremly well they are the ugliest bolt gun on the market. Check out the Weatherby Vanguard, you can find them from $300-$400, and they are a higher quality product that is on-par or exceeding the quality of a 700. Before anybody attacks me for liking not liking the 700, let it be known that I own one. I also own a Vanguard and a Howa 1500 (the Howa 1500 action is used for the Vangaurd) and find them to be better rifles off the shelf.

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
I had one in 30-06, but later traded it. It was OK. Nothing wrong with it.

It is just a very basic inexpensive starter rifle, and as long as that is the expectation, so be it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Because it is crap. Weatherby Vanguards are the best bargain at this time.
I would argue that the Howa 1500's are. Good rifles for a decent price.

I had a Rem 710 in 30/06 for a couple years. ('02-'05) It was the predecessor to the 770. Had no issues with it, shot well, put several deer in the freezer.
There's a lot of hate for the entry level Rems, I think some if it may be unwarranted. They are passable rifles from a reputable company. Is it your best choice in the price range they are in? Perhaps not, but it's your money, not mine.

IMHO, at least look at the Howa's, also Remington 700's (used perhaps). But if you like the 770, go for it.

ETA: Page 51: http://site.cdnninvestments.com/CDNN2011-1/index.html

·
Registered
616 Posts
I had one in 30-06, but later traded it. It was OK. Nothing wrong with it.

It is just a very basic inexpensive starter rifle, and as long as that is the expectation, so be it.
I think this says just about everything about a 770. Don't expect the features of a $900 rifle, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they are crap like others posted. They still get the job done for a cheap price.

I couldn't post this before because I was at work, but here is my 770. It's got everything I need for right now, until i can save up the money for a 700.

·
Registered
19,742 Posts
If Remington wanted to make a quality entry level rifle, they would recreate the sportsman 78 (in production from 82-88 I believe), the gun I hunt with. It is basically a 700 with a cheap finish and a cheap birch stock, basically a step or 2 below the ADL, but still a 700 at heart. If I am ever so inclined, I can put all the mall ninja rated remmy700 accessories on to it. I will probably upgrade the trigger and get a new stock some day.

These guns can be found in good shape for less than the price of a new 770 pretty easily. buying used is usually the best bet with any major purchase, but when you are talking and old fashion style rifle from a company that is cutting more and more corners recently, it really makes even more sense. If you have to have new, avoid Remington at your price point.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I would argue that the Howa 1500's are. Good rifles for a decent price.

I had a Rem 710 in 30/06 for a couple years. ('02-'05) It was the predecessor to the 770. Had no issues with it, shot well, put several deer in the freezer.
There's a lot of hate for the entry level Rems, I think some if it may be unwarranted. They are passable rifles from a reputable company. Is it your best choice in the price range they are in? Perhaps not, but it's your money, not mine.

IMHO, at least look at the Howa's, also Remington 700's (used perhaps). But if you like the 770, go for it.

ETA: Page 51: CDNN 2011-1 Catalog
The Howa 1500 is my go to rifle. I own a 700 and a Vanguard as well. All are .30-06, and alli are respectable shooters, but the Howa consistantly shoots .75 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards. The triggers are nice and are user adjustable. Mine came from the factory at about 3 pounds with no creep I could detect. A quick adjustment to 2.5 pounds and it is probably the best shooting rifle I have ever shot. And it comes with a Hogue stock! I don't think I will ever buy another hinting rifle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts