Springfield XD Forum banner

Remington 700

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  shikkie 
#1 ·
Does anyone own a Remington 700 SPS Tactical with a 20" barrel? If someone as one, what do you think of it?

JonnyBender

xd40 Tactical

#2 ·
I don't own one, but I have shot three different rifles (2 - .308 and 1- .223). They are excellent rifles for the money and are capable of sub-MOA accuracy with handloads and commercial match-grade stuff. The only "gripe" I have is the relatively cheap stocks that they are shipping with. The stock is what I would call "tacticool" but not very tactical. It is more of a traditional "sporter" or "hunting" stock. It is fairly lightweight, has a thin pistol grip area and not as wide a forend as I generally like. I have recommended to many folks picking these up that they get an H&S "take-off" stock from a 700 PSS/700 P or 700 VS. The H&S is the more traditional tactical stock, heavier duty, large grip surface and wide forend which are more suitable to a long-range rifle.

If you have any more specific questions...most 'em up and I and the others will try to respond. There are several SPS Tactical owners around from the number of posts that have come up lately on these and similar rifles.

#5 ·
I had the 700P im .223.

Loved it but my .223 days are now played via AR's.

Cannot go wrong with any 700 in my opinion.

#7 ·
I have a Remington .308 PSS with a 6.5x20 Leupold with a target dot. Will shoot the same hole at 100 yards. Out of all the rifles out of the box I have bought over the last 40 years or so Remington has been the best out of box shooter. I have owned Weatherby, Brownings, Rugers, Sako, Winchester, Savage and a few others. I bedded the rifle and did a trigger job. Now its up to me as a shooter to keep them in the same hole. Of course this is with hand loads.

#10 ·
I bought an SPS varmint with the 24" barrel and put a HS stock on it, nikon mildot, harris bipod with Pheonix Tactical podclaws... great rifle!

#11 ·
I want one eventually with a HS precision stock. That purchase is on the back burner now since I walked home with a new AR15 lower from the gun show this weekend :roll: and I specced out a tacticool setup

I messed with one at gander and the stock was much better feeling on the police model vs the regular model so a precision stock upgrade is definately worth it. Ergonomics, build quality, and beefiness were much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.