Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've never done any type of actual range report, so I'm giving it a go. It might also be helpful to others considering there's been a lot of "which deer rifle" threads lately. I want to start by saying I've had this rifle (Rem 700 30-06) for probably 8-10 years. It has only killed 2 things that I can remember- a groundhog and an antelope. Not too impressive, considering earlier on I missed a number of deer with it- that means either there's something wrong with me, or something wrong with the gun... or both. A little over a year ago I was talking to my brother about how much I didn't really like the gun... which was tough. I was sold on the action (Rem 700 is legendary), and I was sold on the caliber... what about my gun didn't I like? I couldn't shoot it accurately. He suggested I sell it. I hate the idea of selling any gun, so I decided to see what I could do to improve it before deciding to get rid of it.

A lot of the frustration came after I'd fired thousands of rounds through my XD and developed good trigger control, but still couldn't get decent groupings from my 06. Then I realized all these years I've been yanking on the factory trigger pull, which after weighing it found it was about 8 pounds. Not exactly precision stuff. I decided I'd do one thing at a time to modify the gun, to make sure one thing justified the next (Starting with the trigger. If a trigger job improved it, then a new stock to make it more comfortable... if that helped, then put on a higher quality scope).

The stock trigger on the Remington 700 is easily adjustable. You can adjust the length of pull, reset, and weight. Pretty good for a factory setup. About a year ago I searched a tutorial online and decided to do it. After the trigger job, it had a very short crisp break at about 2 1/2 pounds (about as low as you want to go on a hunting rifle I hear. Also, with the factory trigger you don't want to go much below 2 pounds or else it starts getting inconsistent. I fell within the realms of safety).

Well, for reasons which I won't get into, nearly a year after doing the trigger job I got it to the range. I'm not an expert marksman, but I'm getting better. These are the best groups I've ever shot out of this rifle at 100 yards (2 inches high on purpose). I fired 4 or 5 3-shot groups prior to this to make sure it was fairly well sighted in. I then took about a 15 minute break to let the barrel cool. This, at least with my particular rifle (more than my dad's, can't remember what model his is) needs time to really cool, or else your groups turn into patterns. Don't let this negatively effect your decision though. For hunting, you'll be firing from a cool barrel anyway. If you want to do a lot of target shooting and require more accuracy through a number of shots, you should be using a heavier barrel to begin with.

After my 15 minute break from my initial groups, I was ready to see how tight I could keep them. My first group (large center diamond... on the left in reference of the picture) was a 5/8" group (quarter would cover all three). The second group is a shade under 3/4". Two shots? To be honest, I'm not sure. All three shots in that group felt great, and the way I'd been shooting, I don't think I'd completely miss the paper. The hole on the right seems SLIGHTLY mishaped and a little bigger than normal, so I THINK I put two shots through there (I could be wrong, but if I had to bet one way or another I'd say that's a 3 shot group). I shot a couple more groups after that, but it started heating up and the groups started to open up.

Again, I'm no expert, and I know for a fact that people can shoot better than this, but for a virtually stock rifle, DIY trigger job, and a 100-something dollar scope, it certainly makes a case for itself. Be sure to have quality ammo as well as I'm sure it'll make a big difference (these are reloads, but I can't remember what the specs are. I'm pretty sure the bullets are 168 grain sierra SP boattail. I can't remember the specs on the powder or even what it is (my dad bought the components, so I just use it... can't remember what it is). I hope this was at least somewhat informative, and happy shooting. I definitely recommend this rifle and a little practice to anyone.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
nice! judging by the look of the other holes.. i would say that, that one on the bottom right does look like you possibly put two through it! no time to try out to 200??

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The range I was at only went out to 100 :( For as long as it took me to get to a range, I'm not gonna complain lol

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
During deer season, I spend quite a bit of time out at our local range adjusting Remmy triggers for friends who show up. Glad you took care of the obvious first. Doesn't look to me like you need a new stock. Might spend a little $$$ on a better scope, though.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Damn accurate, aren't they?

I have an early 80s M-700 BDL in 270 Winchester that will group like that as well. I'd never sell it....its too good!

If you ask me, the old M-700 Remington STILL has alot going for it.

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
During deer season, I spend quite a bit of time out at our local range adjusting Remmy triggers for friends who show up. Glad you took care of the obvious first. Doesn't look to me like you need a new stock. Might spend a little $$$ on a better scope, though.

The reason I want a new stock is I have a much better feel of the trigger with most of a "pistol grip" grip angle. The angle my wrist is at with a traditional stock is uncomfortable for me and puts my trigger finger at an odd angle. It's difficult for me, with a traditional stock, to have a good squeeze while maintaining a decent grip on the gun. I think a thumbhole stock would correct this.

I know I need a better scope, but it's held up alright so far. I figure I'll get one more deer season out of it and then probably this spring I'll likely do everything all at once.

I have an early 80s M-700 BDL in 270 Winchester that will group like that as well. I'd never sell it....its too good!

If you ask me, the old M-700 Remington STILL has alot going for it.

- Brickboy240
Indeed they are accurate. I've always known they were, it was just getting both myself and the rifle in tune with each other. At this point I probabaly couldn't be happier (well, I could have an extra $500 or so to finish the modifications I want, but one thing at a time I suppose)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If you have your heart set on a thumbhole stock for your 700 LA, check out the HS Precision Pro-Series Thumbhole Stocks. It is heavy duty in terms of its strength, but only weighs in around 2.5lbs which is fairly light considering some alternatives. It is something that you can use at the range and still lug around hunting without needing a pull cart and O2!!! Your only problem that I can see is finding one for a 700 ADL (blind magazine). Most of them are for the BLD.

I think that Bell and Carson is also making a thumbhole for the 700's now too.

Nice rifle and nice shooting.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have your heart set on a thumbhole stock for your 700 LA, check out the HS Precision Pro-Series Thumbhole Stocks. It is heavy duty in terms of its strength, but only weighs in around 2.5lbs which is fairly light considering some alternatives. It is something that you can use at the range and still lug around hunting without needing a pull cart and O2!!! Your only problem that I can see is finding one for a 700 ADL (blind magazine). Most of them are for the BLD.

I think that Bell and Carson is also making a thumbhole for the 700's now too.

Nice rifle and nice shooting.
Thanks, I'll look into it! I'd been thinking about a boyd's thumbhole stock in pepper laminate. As far as ADL/BDL, it's not a problem. When I switch stocks, I was going to get a BDL stock and install the "quick clip" so I can have removable box magazines for the rifle. It would definitely made loading/unloading more convenient and safer.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I love the rem 700s. I have 2.

1st one is a 7mm rem mag. It has alot of kills under its belt (deer, elk, antelope, black bear, moose, mtn goat and a few varms). It is accurate and a great all around hunting caliber.

2nd one is a 8mm rem mag. It has a hell of a kick and I think it only has 1 kill (a deer). I have to load my own because it is hard to find ammo for it. I really want to get it down to the 600yd range at tri-county gun club to see how close I can get my groups.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Do you guys know anything about finding out what model a 700 is? I.e. (ADL, BDL, CDL, especially if the stock is synthetic.) I know the serial number, will that help. Maybe I should just call remington? Will they even give out that kind of info? I am looking at a used 700 at Scheels with a Leupold VXIII on it. I just want to make sure its not a SPS or something like that. It has the jeweled finished bolt, blued barrel and synthetic stock chamber in 7mm mag. Any help would be fantastic

·
Registered
460 Posts
+100

When my dad, brother and myself get togther to shoot our 30-06's for sight in it gets pretty interesting. Dad has a Remington 742 bdl (autoloader), i have a rem 7600 pump, bro has a 700bdl bolt. We fasten our targets with a single roofing nail or thumbtack in the center of the bullseye. When we're done sighting in i will borrow my bro's 700, load 5 rounds and do my best to take all three targets off the board @100 yds. i can usually take down all 3 targets with 5 shots and thats with a $60 tasco scope - the only mod to the gun is his sling. My 'Strays' with his gun are usually within ½ MOA. Unbeleiveable accurate gun.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Do you guys know anything about finding out what model a 700 is? I.e. (ADL, BDL, CDL, especially if the stock is synthetic.) I know the serial number, will that help. Maybe I should just call remington? Will they even give out that kind of info? I am looking at a used 700 at Scheels with a Leupold VXIII on it. I just want to make sure its not a SPS or something like that. It has the jeweled finished bolt, blued barrel and synthetic stock chamber in 7mm mag. Any help would be fantastic
you'll probalby have to contact the MFG to find out

the 700 has SOOOOO many variations it would be fairly tough to just guess

Firearm Model History - Remington Model 700™
Variations‡:ADL (1962 – 2004)
BDL (1962 – Present)
D-Grade Custom Shop (1962 – 1982)
F-Grade Custom Shop (1962 – 1982)
BDL Heavy Varmint (1967 – 1985)
Custom C (1969 – 1982)
Safari High Grade (1971 – 2000)
BDL Left Hand (1973 – 2004)
Classic ( 1978 – Present)
High Grade I Custom Shop (1983 – Present)
High Grade II Custom Shop (1983 – 1990)
High Grade III Custom Shop (1983 – 1990)
High Grade IV Custom Shop (1983 – 1990)
Sportsman 78 (1985 – 1989)
Mountain Rifle (1986 – Present)
Police (1986 – Present)
Custom KS Mountain Rifle (1987 – Present)
Gun Kit (1987 – 1988)
FS (1987 – 1989)
RS (1987 - 1989)
FS Camo RH & LH (1987 – 1989)
Gray RH & LH (1987 – 1989)
ADL LS (1988 – 1993)
AS (1989 – 1991)
Custom KS Safari (1989 – Present)
BDL Heavy Barrel VS (1987 – 1994)
Varmint Special VS (1992 – 2004)
SS (1992)
Camo Synthetic Mossy Oak Bottomland (1992)
BDL SS (1993 – 2004)
BDL European (1993 – 1994)
Mountain SS (1993)
VSSF (1994 – 2004)
Sendero (1994 – 2002)
APR (1994 – Present)
AWR (1994 – Present)
VLS (1995 – Present)
Mountain DM (1995 – Present)
BDL DM (1995 – 2004)
BDL DM LH (1995 – 1999)
BDL SS DM (1995 – 2004)
ADL Synthetic (1996 – 2004)
LSS (1996 – 2004)
Sendero SF (1996 – 2004)
BDL SS DM-B (1996 – 2001)
ADL Synthetic Youth (1998 – 2004)
VSSF-P (1998 -1999)
LSS LH (1998 – 2004)
Mountain LSS (1999 – Present)
VS Composite barrel (1999 – 2001)
Sendero Composite barrel (1999)
EtronX VSSF (2000 – 2003)
VS LH (1998 – 2004)
RMEF (2001 – 2004)
Titanium Ultimate LW (2001 – Present)
ABG Custom (2001 – Present)
CDL Classic Deluxe (2004 - Present)
TI Magnum (2004 - Present)
LV SF (2004 - Present)
CDL LH (2005)
SPS (2005)
SPS DM (2005)
SPS Stainless (2005)
SPS Youth (2005)
VSF (2005)
VSF LH (2005)
VSSF-II (2005)
XCR (2005)
XCR RMEF Camo (2005)

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Thanks, I'll look into it! I'd been thinking about a boyd's thumbhole stock in pepper laminate. As far as ADL/BDL, it's not a problem. When I switch stocks, I was going to get a BDL stock and install the "quick clip" so I can have removable box magazines for the rifle. It would definitely made loading/unloading more convenient and safer.
One thing about factory Rem 700 actions and aftermarket stocks, the factory rifles have a small amount of upward preasure on the barrel from the forend tip and most do not respond favorably to a free floated barrel. So if after installing the stock and making sure that the trigger gaurd screws are evenly torqued attempt to slide a dollar bill between the barrel and stock, if it slides freely and your groups open up that is the first thing that will need to be addressed. We normally use electricians tape and wrap 3 times around the barrel at the forearm tip area and retorque the trigger gaurd/action screws. Test fire a group and see if it makes a differance usually things will tighten up. You can make it permanent with accraglass, Follow the instructions on the box to the T or the action will never come out of the stock again. Other areas to check are the crown, it should be straight and evenly rounded with no obvious damage and the engagement surfaces on the bolt lugs should be checked for even wear patterns, if one lug shows wear and the other does not it means it should be lapped. A SAKO style extractor can also be added later if desired. The 700 is probably the best platform for a custom rifle due to the amount of aftermarket accesories available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts