Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I caught this documentary on the Remington 700 and all the accidental discharges it has when disengaging the safety. Apparently a number of people have been shot in part because of this. Through the whole program I was listening for but never heard anybody ever say, yes the gun went off accidentally but if they were following proper firearm safety nobody would have ever been hurt, because gun would have been pointed in the right direction.

I agree there is just to much evidence stacked up against Remington that shows they have continually produced a defective rifle, and lawsuits should be filed in that matter, but no matter the firearm and how safe it is, nobody better point a firearm in my direction, safety on/off or under any other condition.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
It all comes down to firearm disipline.

Your finger had to engage the trigger. And point it in a safe direction.

Sent from my CrackBerry using Tapatalk

·
Registered
895 Posts
i watched this special also, there are 2 700's in my collection that were passed down to me that were used for years to hunt with, i never shot either and i dont hunt and i didnt like seeing this special, i was thinking about trading them to help fund an AR and this video may have finalized that. they should have made it right early on.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Usually I would agree with you but they had some damn good video evidence of SWAT officers on the range having a malfunction, waiting then with their finger no where near the trigger touching the safety and it going off. No bad consequences because the gun was pointed in a safe direction down range.

Apparently even the guy who designed the trigger, also designed a rework of it because of this issue, but Remington never implemented it because of $$ and now today it would cost several hundred million to fix all the rifles with these triggers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Remmington does have a website up to dispute everything in the show. Or at least they did almost 2 years ago when this show was first aired. On which, they point out several facts leading to negligent reporting.

Also, Remmington has several government contracts and NO ONE has reported any issues with the 700. So if the swat members took this video why would they continue to use this equipment and not send it into remmington?

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
why would a bolt action have one in the chamber before you are ready to find a target?

a sidearm I can see carrying hot. a defense rifle I can see carrying hot. a long range bolt gun though? Its a slow shot situation where you need to set up to use it anyway right?

am I missing something?

·
Registered
19,695 Posts
why would a bolt action have one in the chamber before you are ready to find a target?

a sidearm I can see carrying hot. a defense rifle I can see carrying hot. a long range bolt gun though? Its a slow shot situation where you need to set up to use it anyway right?

am I missing something?
Are you nuts?

You'd have me walking around in the woods with the chamber open? and why should I be cycling the action just to waste time and make noise when I see a nice buck?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts