Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I started looking into a .22 rifle just to have for range trips. I'm looking to save money as a box of 500 rounds is about the same as 50 .45's. I saw dicks sporting goods is have a sale on the od green 597 with a scope for around 150. I know the scope won't be great but, what are your thoughts on this gun? Is it worth buying? Also can I paint the stock? I'm not sure if I really like the green.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I picked one up a few weeks ago for exactly what you are wanting, just plinking. I love it! Very accurate, and the scope isn't half bad.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Its worth it, mine jammed alot though unless i used CCI (which defeated the purpose of a cheap plinker), i ended up trading it for a GSG-5. If you have the extra 50 to spend the Ruger 10/22 is a much better plinker (will eat anything). Besides there are so many more mods for a 10/22 than the 597. G/L with you decision.

·
Registered
930 Posts
If 150 is your upper limit as far as price goes, think about a Marlin Model 60...they're great for plinking, and the tube mag isn't bad when you pick up a speedloader for it. I have both a Marlin, and its older brother, a Glenfield (both Model 60s or at least Model 60-type rifles). They aren't near as customizable as a 10/22, but they are cheaper and are plenty fine for plinking.

Another idea is to look for a used 10/22 that looks to be in good shape...

·
Registered
310 Posts
If 150 is your upper limit as far as price goes, think about a Marlin Model 60

+1 You just can't kill a model 60. Plus Marlin probably produces some of the most accurate .22's out of the box.

Although, I admit...I have been eyeballing a 597 myself. One can never have too many .22 rifles.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Don't need to be a tube feeder just because it's a Marlin :mrgreen:
Marlin 795 22LR AUTO CLIP 10 RD SYN for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $142.00

I converted my tube feeder over to the Marlin 10rnd stick mag with just a parts swap and a bit of fitting.

I have a 597 and just don't get to shoot it much, I like it's lines and with a couple of tweaks and the new mags it runs just fine. Older mags had some FTF issues.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Everyone and their brother recommends a 10/22 for a .22 semi. They are good guns, but if you want and out of the box plinker the 597 is better. There are more parts and customizations out there for 10/22, but the 597 is better out of the box. You can paint the stock easy, just use some Krylon Fusion. I did and it is holding up great. You can find a lot of "issues" out there with jamming, but that had to do with older generation magazines. The new metal mags work great.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a 597 that is probably 4 years old or so and it's great. Very accurate, even with iron sights. Yes the old mags suck, but I still use them and since I switched to bulk Federal ammo, have never had a problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts