Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone converted a rem 1100 to a 18" barrel, is there anywhere that sells 18" barrels?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have a trap barrel that is bulged by the end from a choke that blew out.

I'm planning on sending it out to have it cut down to 18" (or as close to it nearest a rib).. so at least i could use it for slugs and buckshot.

The people I spoke to didn't make it sound like a big deal. And I talk to a guy whose down it himself with an 870 barrel.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I found a barrel at e-gunparts.Another question....
what about drilling the gas port out, does anyone know the size to drill out.By what i've read on going to a 18" barrel you have to do this.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
975 Posts
I believe that is correct, the shorter the barrel the larger that gas port. I am not sure what the science is behind what size to go though. Probably just drill a little at a time and test it until it cycles reliably.

-Derek

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The gas port is easy. Once you get the barrel cut, take the gun out and shoot the lightest load that you will ever shoot through it (trap loads work well). Just open the gas port(s) one drill size (use "wire sized" bits) at a time until the light loads cycle 100% through a full tube of shells.

It is a time consuming process, but it is easy and it's worth it to get your gun running 100%. Just make sure the gun is cleaned and lubed during the test firing to ensure that all stoppages are port related and not dirt related.

I have three 1100s myself. I think they are one of the finest scatterguns ever if properly maintained.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thinking about adding a sidesaddle on my 1100, midwayusa offers a mesa tactical side saddle in 4 through 8 shell side saddle, which would be ideal?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
thinking about adding a sidesaddle on my 1100, midwayusa offers a mesa tactical side saddle in 4 through 8 shell side saddle, which would be ideal?
I have the 6 round Mesa Tactical on my 1100, and the 4 round one on an 870. Both are good, but the 6 round one balances well on the heavier 1100.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts