Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been having trouble with reloads for the XDS-45ACP? I have been having trouble with it they match not only what is in the reloading book all measurements have been taken and match/within acceptable range. Gun is clean. The gun jams with a live round in the chamber. I have to put all my weight into getting the slide to go back. Factory loads work fine and are FMJ, the reloads are all lead. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Check your cartridge OAL,might have to seat your bullets a little deeper.Do the plunk test.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don`t think it is the gun. All I shoot (practice) with are my reloads, 200gr lswc over 4gr of BE. Never a failure of any kind.
Gotta be something with the load.
I crimp the case mouth @ .470 with a aol of 1.25. I would think if the XDs will feed the LSWC it should feed about any bullet profile. Also, if the load is too light that would cause a host of issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
After inserting your mag, use the slide release lever to release the slide, and see if that solves your problem. My XDs has never had a factory load in it, and the only time it ever jammed like yours did, was because I rode the slide instead of using the release. Good Luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree with M4carbine, bullet profile will change OAL of finished reload greatly. Like M4carbine said try dropping a reload into your field striped barrel case neck should bottom in barrel before bullet touches barrel rifling

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Just a guess......are you resizing the shells for correct O.D.? I have noticed some factory loads have slight O.D. bulge so they will not feed into chamber.
Do these same reloads jam in other guns? That's would be interesting to find out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
m4carbine & springer: I will try sizing them down.
Arizona98tj: I just started reloading but I have been doing it with my uncle who has about 20 years doing reloads he also checked them with me and was baffled as to why this was happening.
J2flan: I am using a 230gr.
Josephbw: that is what I do. Still won't go all the way forward.

ALL: Thank you so far with the help, going to do the plunk test now. Also after I finally got the slide to go back the round was still stuck in the chamber, had to put a screwdriver down the barrel to get the shell out of the chamber.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Shipwreck, What type us crimp are you using on your reloads, roll or taper. Some years ago I loaded some 45acp for my Smith 625 using a roll crimp. I tried to use them in one of my 1911's and they wouldn't feel.
Just saying.....................

·
Registered
106 Posts
Shipwreck, What type us crimp are you using on your reloads, roll or taper. Some years ago I loaded some 45acp for my Smith 625 using a roll crimp. I tried to use them in one of my 1911's and they wouldn't feel.
Just saying.....................

Rimless semi-auto cartridges (.45ACP. 9mmP, .40 S&W, .380 Auto for example) are always taper crimped. The cartridge head spaces on the end of the cartridge brass. If it's roll crimped it screws up the head spacing. Over trimming is bad too but won't cause the OP's problem.

My practice ammo is all reloads. I've had problems with Hornady XTP bullets at the factory manual OAL of 1.23". They need to be loaded shorter. In my case I ended up seating them at 1.200" the same as Speer Gold Dots. That works just fine.

I most often use 230g Berry's Plated round nose unless I'm trying to prove a particular bullet works. When ammo was really hard to get I wanted to be sure the Short Barrel Speer Gold Dot would feed so I bought bullets, duplicated the factory load for MV and COAL, and used that to do the testing which included all my magazines. The Speer Short Barrel Gold Dot worked great. In fact all the Speer Gold Dot bullets of any weight worked well. I also shot 24 rounds of factory ammo (a full load from each of my 4 magazines) make sure that worked in the magazines.

Fitch

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has anyone been having trouble with reloads for the XDS-45ACP? I have been having trouble with it they match not only what is in the reloading book all measurements have been taken and match/within acceptable range. Gun is clean. The gun jams with a live round in the chamber. I have to put all my weight into getting the slide to go back. Factory loads work fine and are FMJ, the reloads are all lead. Any help is appreciated.
check your diameter on your bullitts,i had the same problem.my lead was .01 too big.ranthem through a sizer and no problems since.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I use berrys also. I have found that you don't want a COL longer than 1.210 I am loading from 1.200 to 1.210 currently for RN and JHP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts