Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The range I go to they sell cartridges they reload on premises. The question I have is some of the rounds had more muzzle flash than other and today I had alot of black come back on my arms.

Is this from a cheaper grade of powder? Should I be more through cleaning? Should I continue to use their rounds?

Thanks for any and all answers.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
It's time to take your own ammo. There will soon be an accidental blowup of someone's gun. Make sure it's not yours.:cool:.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
fellow I see often at matches was telling me his story. About three months ago he went to a match at different range than where I see him. He does not reload and did not have a chance to get ammo, so bought some reloads sold right at the range. Just like you described. One of reloads blew his Glock. Everyone around him suspected a double charge. Seller said opps, sorry, offered his money back or replacements. Yea right.

I really enjoy reloading and have not had any issues, but I am careful and I work within my limits. Would never sell my reloads, would never use someone else's reloads. Factory reloads maybe because same process as new just with reused brass. But I would not use from Joe the Reloader.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I really enjoy reloading and have not had any issues, but I am careful and I work within my limits. Would never sell my reloads, would never use someone else's reloads. Factory reloads maybe because same process as new just with reused brass. But I would not use from Joe the Reloader.
+1 on that! Never would I trust my gun to someone elses loads...or my digits!!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The ONLY reloaded ammo I shoot is my own. Factory remanuf from GA or BlackHills, etc woudl be fine, but shooting gunshow or range reloads is like sleeping w/ a prostitute; you never know how what exactly you are going to come away with from the experience! Seriously, buy factory ammo, remanuf from a licensed, bonded & insured manuf or learn to make your own.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They say they have a license to manufacture. Just not sure of the quality of the powder they are using and their process with all the black crap on my arms from this last trip.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Different powders have diff. characteristics, some smoke, some leave more residue some don't burn all the way. The black residue isn't a big deal, just clean your gun like you should anyway. The inconsisten muzzle flashes, is something to be concerned with. That shows inconsistancy in their process and that lends itself to higher odds of a double charge. I wouldn't shoot the stuff. If you shoot much, it really don't take long to pay for your system with the savings and it's enjoyable to do it yourself.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
They say they have a license to manufacture. Just not sure of the quality of the powder they are using and their process with all the black crap on my arms from this last trip.
Well by law they have to, but it's a modestly skilled reloader pulling a handle in the back on a 650. They will buy bulk canister powder, often not appropriate for the caliber, & then use it to load everything. Seriously, I have never seen quality reloads from a range, never. I do not shoot them, but some of my friends do, or if you rent a gun to try, they make you buy their crap ammo. Buy bulk factory, even Wolf/Tula is better than most range reloads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure what I have here other than some reloads from an acquaintance of mine. He gave me 300 of these when I told him I purchased my .45. Do they look OK? Would you use them? Sorry for the cell phone camera photo with no macro focus. Thanks for any input.
Attached Thumbnails

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
How well do you know the reloader you got them from? Is he casting his own lead bullets? How much experience does he have? A sample picture unfortunately wont help much with correct OAL, powder type, variances in powder charge, etc...

About all you could do besides put your trust in his hands (or yours actually) is:
- Weigh them all, this would be to check for a double charge of powder.
- Do a visual check on them all to spot any excessive bullet set back or too low of a seating depth. Maybe check load data and compare with similar weight/profile bullets. Still hard to figure out without powder type...

I've only shot reloads from a friend with much more experience than me, and he loaded them specifically for my gun based on barrel measurements. Still not 100% safe though....but what is?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I've found someone who will deconstruct a few of these for me and weigh the powder/visually inspect. I don't mind cleaning my weapon, but I would like to avoid excessive wear. Free ammunition may be a case of too good to be true.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I've found someone who will deconstruct a few of these for me and weigh the powder/visually inspect. I don't mind cleaning my weapon, but I would like to avoid excessive wear. Free ammunition may be a case of too good to be true.
The problem is you may find 50 good ones, it only takes one bad one. I'll stand by my; " I do NOT shoot other peoples reloads".

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
I always roll my own or shoot factory.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts