Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reloading is a subject I'd like to learn more about. I have been looking at the Lee Pro 1000 for the .40 s&w. What else will I need to purchase to get started?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Google is your friend.
Reloading

Now to actually be informative... The Lee kits are fairly complete. If you intend to re-use brass, which is a requirement to make reloading common pistol calibers cost effective, you'll need to buy case prep gear as well. Big items in this category include tumbler and case trimmer. Pricing of each varies greatly depending on your selection.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Aloha GPB!

I'm been reloading with my Lee Pro 1000 since last August.

First the basic instructions that come with the Pro 1000 is minimal at best. Suggest getting Lyman's 48th Edition Reloading Handbook.

Also you'll need to down load Lee's chart that lists just about all the different powders and the capacity in weight for the auto disk powder measure.

Tools that I also got are: 6" Caliper to measure OAL (Over All Length) of finished cartridge, bullet puller (for mistakes), case tumbler, tumbler media (corn/walnut), case separater.

Check out eBay "reloading" category under hunting. Lots of good stuff there.

Tips: Keep primer chute full. Sometimes they jam in the primer tray and primers run low in the chute. When this happens there may not be enough weight to push the first primer on to the primer pin. This may then cause a misfeed and you'll end up with a loaded bullet without a primer. Start slowly at first. One bullet at a time.

Good Luck!
KN

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Actual reloading stuff aside, like Hawaii-5-O said, get a caliper. Preferably, get a good digital caliper. They're super easy and fast to read, just as accurate, and it's a definite necessity for reloading quality and, more important, safe ammunition.

Hawaii-5-O said:
Start slowly at first. One bullet at a time.
^^^^^ That's good advice right there.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got several calipers. Including a digital.
So I'll need a
Tumbler
Case Trimmer
Lyman's 48th Edition Reloading Handbook
Bullet Puller
Tumbler Media (Corn/Walnuts)
Case Separator
Powder
Brass
Bullets
Primers

Does that just about cover it…..or is there more?

Next question….. approximately what does it cost to reload a round of .40 s&w versus purchasing ammo in the store? Excluding the equipment investment.

TIA

·
Registered
388 Posts
The Grand Pooh-Bah said:
approximately what does it cost to reload a round of .40 s&w versus purchasing ammo in the store? Excluding the equipment investment.
From one source, new Winchester brass and 180gr JHP bullets alone (no primers or powder) will cost you about $0.21/round when purchased in quantities of 500. Similar Winchester (loaded) ammo costs about $0.27/round when purchased in the same quantity.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
stealthsniper said:
The Grand Pooh-Bah said:
approximately what does it cost to reload a round of .40 s&w versus purchasing ammo in the store? Excluding the equipment investment.
From one source, new Winchester brass and 180gr JHP bullets alone (no primers or powder) will cost you about $0.21/round when purchased in quantities of 500. Similar Winchester (loaded) ammo costs about $0.27/round when purchased in the same quantity.
Of course, every time you reuse your brass, you are cutting the cost per round very significantly. I use once fired police brass to reload with, I haven't never purchased new .40 brass in the 3 years I've been reloading for it. Or 9mm brass, for that matter.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WWB cost 15.98 for a box of 100 that is only .16 per round.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My costs for a 9mm round is about $0.08 using once fired cases and my own casted lead bullets. Zeroing out the brass cases and costing only the powder, primer and bullet makes the cost about $0.06.

Before I started reloading 44 magnums, they costed me around $20 for a WWB of 50 at Sports Authority. Not many firearm shops here in Hawaii and sometimes they were out of 44s. So that was one of the reasons why I decided to reload my own.

Reloading 44 magnums costs me $0.02 per primer, $0.04 for powder, and about $0.03 for lead bullets. That's about $0.09 per round. Already had brass cases, but bought some once fired cases for about $0.07 per.
Cost comparison: $20 for WWB or $8 for reloads. Savings $12.
Reusing brass gives me a savings of $15 per box of 50.

Think of it this way. You don't really save money, but you get to shoot more. Plus reloading is fun :D , and you can tailor your ammo to your gun!

·
Registered
388 Posts
The Grand Pooh-Bah said:
WWB cost 15.98 for a box of 100 that is only .16 per round.
Yes, but it's FMJ ammo, which is inherently cheaper. The prices I gave were for equivalent JHP rounds manufactured with new materials. As I mentioned earlier and snake-eater also said, you can reduce the cost substantially by re-using brass.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is where I need some educating.
What is the difference between FMJ (Full Metal Jacket, correct??) and JHP (Don't know what this is).

After I eliminate the brass cost what will I be looking at per round? You see I need to sell this reload thing to the wife. If I can show her that I am saving $$ and investing in a new tool then it makes our home happier.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The Grand Pooh-Bah said:
What is the difference between FMJ (Full Metal Jacket, correct??) and JHP (Don't know what this is).
FMJ = Full Metal Jacket: Good for target shooting. Excellent accuracy but limited expansion
JHP = Jacketed Hollow Point: Ideal for self defense. Expands on impact, creates larger wound channel

There are dozens of other bullet designs (WadCutter, Keith Nose, Flat Point, etc), but FMJ and JHP are the two most popular.

·
Registered
516 Posts
If you purchase in reasonable quanties you will save. My cost for .40 is .10 -.11 cents per round. 9mm about .09 and .45ACP .12 cents per round. This is using FMJ bullets and reused brass. WWB at walmart is .17 for 40, .11 for 9MM and .20 for 45ACP. 9mm may not worth the trouble to save $ but it''s worth it to tune your loads. You can save another 3-4 cents per round if you use lead rather than FMJ bullets as well.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can someone give me an idea what JHP's would cost per round?

·
Registered
59 Posts
SteveW1958 said:
If you purchase in reasonable quanties you will save. My cost for .40 is .10 -.11 cents per round. 9mm about .09 and .45ACP .12 cents per round. This is using FMJ bullets and reused brass. WWB at walmart is .17 for 40, .11 for 9MM and .20 for 45ACP. 9mm may not worth the trouble to save $ but it''s worth it to tune your loads. You can save another 3-4 cents per round if you use lead rather than FMJ bullets as well.
Saved me some typing. The first look at prices came to 12 cents per round using jacketed bullets. Lead is ~6 cents per round, or $3.50 per 50. I would also look into a Dillon press vs the Lee. 15 years from now, you'll still be using the Dillon.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SteveW1958 said:
XTP's would add 3-5 cents per round depending on caliber. others might be a tad bit less.
Are XTP's similar in price to JHP's?(not sure what XTP's are)

From the looks of things I can expect to save aprox. 5 cents per round loading them myself.

Ok, we have the accessories and savings pretty much covered. Next question is on reloading presses. I have heard pro's and con's on both Dillon and Lee equipment.

The biggest thing that jumps out is the difference in price. I'm not familiar enough with the equipment models of both companies to compare specific models side by side. In regard to Lee's equipment I have read some about the Pro 1000, which states it is ready to get started upon assembly. The Load Master from what I can tell is heavier duty and more for production work. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Can someone familiar with Dillon equipment enlighten me on comparable equipment to the Pro 1000 and Load Master models?

Oh by the way, Thank You for all the knowledge that you have shared so far on this subject.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I vote Dillon 550 .the square deal b is cheaper,but it doesn't use standard dies; it's also the only one (from dillon ) I've ever heard mch negative about(and then not much!) . All Dillons come w/ a lifetime "no B.S." warranty, and they mean it . Check out ebay; dilon suff goes for 80% of new price. Lee much less..... I know lots of folks who have gone Lee to dillon, none the other way. I am not saying lee isn't good(I have some of their stuff), just that Dillon is the BEST . THe more you read the more you'll hear that. Do a search on any discussion board. This is a frequent question. Dillon also has a toll free # for help, and you can ge a video for couple $ too.
I suggest win 231 for a good powder to start with. And please dn't get one just to stretch out the most rounds. I want a bulky powder to make it easier to notice a double charge ( I have loaded 15-20k rifle , recently switched 550 to 45 acp. If the weather clears up I hope to find a xd 40 at the greensboro gun show sunday)
And can anyone tell me if te 40 uses large or small primers? thanks

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
The .40 uses small pistol primers.

I have a Dillon progressive press and a Lee progressive press. The Dillon is a Model 650. I don't remember what the Lee is; it's been at least 2 years since I've used it. I gave up after 6 months of trying to get a replacement part for it. You get what you pay for. If you can't afford the 650, get a 550, it's a fine press and it'll last a lifetime.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts