Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first post. great site. I would like to do my own reloads for my new XD-40 but have heard that i should only use factory loads. i currently reload for my 357 and that works out great. any info would be helpfull. thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Only thing ive heard on 40 reloads was not touse brass that had been fired froma glock becuse of the unsupported chamber..

beyond that i have no exp with a 40 .

·
Registered
121 Posts
That tip about using only factory loads comes from well publicized incidents of Glocks KB'ing. Glock .40 pistols use an unsupported chamber at the six o'clock position as a way to increase feeding reliability. Combine that chamber design with a high pressure round, which the .40 is, and brass that has been stretched at the six o'clock position already during previous firings, and you have a potential for disaster.

That said, I have been reloading for my .40 pistols (Glock 23, Beretta Cougar, and Browning HiPower) for several years with no problems. I like using the slower powders like WSF to keep pressure under control and I don't reload to max specs. After all, I am only practicing so I don't need full power rounds. WSF also tends to make recoil more of a push than a snap. I also crimp my bullets in place to ensure there is no setback during the travel up the feed ramp, which tends to be rather steep on .40 guns.

My understanding is that the XD .40 chamber is fully supported so there is less of a chance that you would experience the same worries that Glock owners do. Good luck and let me know if you'd like some .40 recipes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been looking into reloading my .40 cal and even maybe a 9mm but seem way to Intimidating, also I can buy WWB .40cal for 16.00/100rds and WWB 9mm for $11.00/rds at this rate is it worth it ?

Mustly I'm looking for anwsers about reloading itself scares me
can anyone help me with this

Im looking at the Dillon Square deal for reloading

Thanks In Advance

·
Registered
141 Posts
Depends what stuff ya but can i beat 11 a box of 100 9mm rounds sure ive all read got the brass so all im paying for is some primers bullets and powder .... get a lot of rounds out of 1 pound of powder with only the copule grains the 9mm and 45 take ...

have no exp with a square deal b use a lyman tmag my self and looking to up grade to a progressive ...

reloading its self isnt that bad as long as you read the manuals and dont try to start out at maxiumim loads youll be ok .. more than likely you wont blow yourself or the house up.. i started relaoding at 17 when mom thought i would blow the house up havent done there house or mine yet so im doing ok...

Main thing is to buy a couple laod manuals and cross check data errors do happen .. Get a electronic scale ditch the cheep balance beams i know some will argue this point but the electronic is a lot easyer to use ...

Also check you poweder charge a few times b4 you start loading cartridges then check the weight again ever 5 rounds or so till your sure the weight is holding and you become more sure of your self... Theres a bunch more i could say but it would eb a book here..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great post I just order My First reloading Kit from My local gun shop. I didnt get a expensive kit just incase I didn't like doing it.
I order the Lee annv. kit With the reloading manaul,9mm and 40 S&W carbine dies for 135.00. I fiqure thats not much to start another new hobby, And it will save you some money in munitions.

OD-XD

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use Glock brass, 231 powder(3.9-4.0 grains), 1.150 OAL It works fine for plinking.With this load I use an 18 pound spring in my Tactical. You can use up to 4.5 of 231 with the standard spring, This is a definite low pressure round.

·
Registered
121 Posts
There is nothing to be scared of when it comes to reloading your own ammo as long as you are commited to doing right - ALWAYS. That means no distractions and doublecheck everything. Never allow anyone to reload for you either. I'm very anal about it all and don't let even my wife or kids help me, except to sort brass. I also suggest you spend the extra money and get a good powder throw and scale since even 1/10 of a grain can make a big difference.

As far as cost savings, here's what my reloads are costing me, all taxes, shipping costs, etc., included:
9mm = $7.71/100 for 115gr
.40 = $10.14/100 for 180gr and $9.39/100 for 155gr
.45ACP = $9.99/100 for 230gr
.38/.357 = $8.56/100 for 158gr
.380ACP = $7.41/100 for 95gr
5.56mm = $11.83/100 for 55gr

·
Registered
141 Posts
The post about not letting any one fdo it for ya is true ... even though i pawn off depriming when i can since i dotn have progressive ... My uncles friend is down there depriming my 45 acp brass about 1k of them right now ... What a nice lady :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you are reloading plain lead bullets at factory velocity...yes, this could be problematic especially if you have a Glock with the unsupported chamber....But, if you are loading light (700 to 800 ft/sec) using copper clad or FMJ bullets, this is not an issue....The issue is to make sure you don't double charge the case. As you currently load for a high pressure .357 load, I really don't think you have anything to be concerned with as the XD40 is fuly supported and has convenional rifling.....

ridedoc said:
first post. great site. I would like to do my own reloads for my new XD-40 but have heard that i should only use factory loads. i currently reload for my 357 and that works out great. any info would be helpfull. thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am careful, very careful, about the 40 brass that I pick up. Since I mark my own, I can sort out the stuff that came from somebody else.

My current theory is that I buy Win factory ammo and then pick up the brass after shooting it. My recovery rate is pretty good, so it is an economical way to get used brass with a known history. Compared to buying new brass in the first place I think the economics are pretty similar considering I get a loaded round for about 15 cents and get to recover a casing worth 5 cents. That makes the original round only cost 10 cents, which is pretty close to what it costs to reload with new brass in the first place.

I also pick up other brass, but inspect it very closely for any bulges. I throw out maybe 50% of the free range brass that I pick up. Maybe I'm too picky and paranoid, but maybe not.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
ridedoc
I've been reloading for my XD-40 about six months, have gone through a couple of thousand rounds or more, and haven't had any problems. I use Barry's plated bullets. ww primers, and bullseye or tightgroup. Just make sure you inspect your brass.

·
Registered
9 Posts
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys have been GREAT with this reloading stuff, I think you have talked me into it, now I have to talk the Wife into it

Thanks ALOT !!! Guys keep it coming I need all the help I can get

I'll be Reloading for

XD-9 Service model
Walther P99 40cal

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my XD40 since September. Have put about 400 reloads through it, zero problems. I load 155gr. SWC over 3.5 gr. of Clays for 900 fps., clean, a nice plinker. Also 165gr. Golden Sabers over 8.0 gr. of HS-6 duplicates the velocity of Remington factory loads of the same bullet. I have yet to duplicate Remingtons consistancy though, chrono'd
5 shots and got a standard deviation of 4! The best I've gotten is 18, by hand weighing each powder charge. SD is not all that important for handgun loading. If you can, buy a chonograph. I've handloaded for 20 years without one. Now that I have one I don't see how I got by without for so long! It provides a wealth of information when working up loads. I pick up range brass, even some obviously shot from a Glock, I don't really see an issue with it as the case is completely supported in the XD. Just drop a case in the removed barrel and see for yourself. Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just ordered 4000 9mm bullets tonight from Montana Gold for $191 shipping included. You can save money by reloading. Buy your bullets and primers by the case, and powder in 8# kegs. I think my 9mm loads run about 7-8 cents each. 9mm commercial brass can usually be had for 2-3 cents each once fired. You may be as well off to buy the generic WalMart ammo for the first load, and salvage the brass. Reloading that brass thereafter will save you about 3 cents per round for every loading.

I have been loading Berrys 180 jacketed bullets for the 40. IIRC, I was using 5.5 grains of Unique. Worked fine in my S&W and XD40 Tactical, and is a big savings over even White Box.

Good luck. The KBs in Glocks have also been happening using factory ammo. A local LE armorer told me he had read a report (put out by the Law Enforcement Assistance Administration I believe) documenting KBs using factory Remington, WW, and Fed ammo. So it isn't JUST reloads or lead bullets causing the problems in 40 Glocks.

Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
About $3.50-$4 per box for 9mm with jacketed bullets. Rounded off on the high side, 5 cents for bullet, 2 cents primer, 1 cent powder.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts