Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to set up a reloading station and am wondering if this combination would work out. Looking for any downsides or anything that will not work out with this station.

Set Up
Hornady Lock N Load Auto Progressive Reloading Press
Lee Precision 4 die set
Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner Aerosol Spray
Merkmak Vernier Caliper 150mm Digital Electronic LCD Plastic Gauge micrometer ruler
Smart Weigh GEM20 High Precision Digital Milligram Scale

Ammo
6.2 grains of HS-6 1lb powder -$30
#100 small pistol primers-1000- $34
hornady jacketed hollow point 180 grain-500-$67
.40 once used brass-2800-$91

·
Registered
9,425 Posts
I am looking to set up a reloading station and am wondering if this combination would work out. Looking for any downsides or anything that will not work out with this station.

Set Up
Lee Precision 4 die set
Merkmak Vernier Caliper 150mm Digital Electronic LCD Plastic Gauge micrometer ruler

Ammo
Everything looks fine to me, with the exception of:
GEM20 - I don't trust digital scales, I rather use a regular balance beam scale.
Jacketed Hollow point bullets ?? - Are you reloading personal defense ammo, or target practice ammo ??
There are cheaper options for target practice (plated, FMJ, or "pulled")
HS-6 - I've never used that powder, so I can't comment. I reloaded several K of 40S&W using CFE Pistol, Titegroup, Power Pistol, and Longshot (my favorite for 40S&W)

Of course, my comments are based on what I know that works for me, and I don't mean to say your choices are wrong, but before you start reloading, I'll suggest you to read a good Reloading Manual, trust me, there are a lot of things to learn from a good manual before you start sending bullets down the range.

IMHO, of course

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

Set Up
Lee Precision 4 die set

Ammo
I have used only digital scales for many years and find the name brand both fast and very accurate. I don't see a case lube on the list, unless you have carbide sizing die you will have to lube the cases.
Don

·
Registered
749 Posts
Are you plinking or competing? If you're competing, are you shooting Minor or Major PF?

Freedom Munitions and others are making some loads fairly cheap. They've got 180gr .40S&W for $0.21-0.25/rnd right now, whereas your cost (not including the equipment prices and your time) is $0.23/rnd...but you would get better prices buying in bulk and drop your cost per round drastically (especially if you changed the pills out to a hard cast or coated lead bullet)..

For comparison's sake, I load up a minor PF load for .40 that is 165gr BayouBullet (coated lead) using TiteGroup powder that runs me less than $0.15/round (brass cost not factored in because I have about 20K of them). It's subsonic, requires a light recoil spring, and is tuned for my XDm 5.25 (makes about 135pf, velocity is around 825fps).

·
Registered
9,425 Posts
I tried some loads with HS-6 & while it worked OK, I had better results with 231.

I only use 231 on 45acp, and I do that, when I'm out of Power Pistol, or Bullseye.
Tried 231 on 40S&W, but still prefer Power Pistol (they're about the same burning rate), but none of those powders can match the clean burning and velocity
of Longshot.
W231 burns quite dirty unless you load close to peak power.

Bullseye burns dirty all the time, LOL

·
Registered
119 Posts
I load 165gr plated Berrys or Extreme bullets with 5.1gr of 231 to give me a 995fps average velocity.

These also work well in my buddies Glock without a lot of case deformation.
I didn't want to ruin the brass so I settled on this load & it shoots well in all my XDm's.

As far as burning dirty... it's not a big deal to have a flake of 2 in the mag well.
I shot over 1000rds without a cleaning & never had a malfunction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts