Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 44 magnum ruger super blackhawk and started reloading years ago for the caliber. I have really enjoyed it but I dont reload a lot or enough really. I purchased these 44 magnum 240 lead semi wadcutters with a hardness of 16. 240gr. Semi-Wadcutter J K Bullet Casters Hard Cast Lead Bullets

I have reloaded with winchester 231 ball powder ( aka HP38). I find this powder is great for plinking but perhaps I should be reloading these rounds with a slower burning powder for higher velocitys.

1. Can I run this 240 grain lsw safely to 1200 feet per second?

2. what powder should I use if I want to run this bullet out to a higher velocity? I know theres lots of powders out there. For plinking etc I load this round with 6.0 to 8 grains of winchester 231 ball powder and use ccI 350 mag primers.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I bought a 44 magnum ruger super blackhawk and started reloading years ago for the caliber. I have really enjoyed it but I dont reload a lot or enough really. I purchased these 44 magnum 240 lead semi wadcutters with a hardness of 16. 240gr. Semi-Wadcutter J K Bullet Casters Hard Cast Lead Bullets

I have reloaded with winchester 231 ball powder ( aka HP38). I find this powder is great for plinking but perhaps I should be reloading these rounds with a slower burning powder for higher velocitys.

1. Can I run this 240 grain lsw safely to 1200 feet per second?

2. what powder should I use if I want to run this bullet out to a higher velocity? I know theres lots of powders out there. For plinking etc I load this round with 6.0 to 8 grains of winchester 231 ball powder and use ccI 350 mag primers.
If you want max velocity you need a slower powder like 2400, that is what i use with a 300 gr jacketed bullet.

Recoil is stout!

don

·
Registered
665 Posts
I use W 296. Never under load the charges , because you will get pressure build up. I usually use 24.0 grains. GOOD LUCK !!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm not sure about the powder charge that you would be using, but a Super Blackhawk can easily handle a 240gr/1200 fps load.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Just FYI, Garrett Cartridges makes factory .44 magnum loads (which are safe in a Super Blackhawk), of 310gr/1325 fps, so the 240/1200 combination would be well within safe limits.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure about the powder charge that you would be using, but a Super Blackhawk can easily handle a 240gr/1200 fps load.
I am mearly referring to the bullet style I have. I have 600 or so of these lsw. I know a copper or other jacketed bullets can travel at high rates of speed but I did not know about how fast these lead semi wad cutters could travel with out issues thanks

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I am mearly referring to the bullet style I have. I have 600 or so of these lsw. I know a copper or other jacketed bullets can travel at high rates of speed but I did not know about how fast these lead semi wad cutters could travel with out issues thanks
With lead bullets, it will depend on several things. Primary will be proper bullet fit. What dia are the lead bullets? What are the dia of each cyl throat? What is the slugged bore dia?
Honestly, I never slug the bore of any of my rev but I do measure the cyl throats. If they are smaller than bore dia, Rugers often are, then a lead bullet will be swaged down to that size & then have to try & bump up as it hits the slightly over sized bore. This results in early leading & potentially poor accuracy. if you assume the bore is 0.429", you want a lead bullet at least 0.430", 0.431" is even better. Each cyl throat will want to be at least bore dia of 0.429", 0.430" is better.
My last Ruger bought was a SSBH in 45colt. The throats were 0.4505", I am shooting a 0.452" bullet. So accuracy was just ok with 1-2" of leading in the beginning of the bbl. After opening the throats to 0.4515", accuracy was improved by 100% & almost no leading using a soft 10BHN bullet. You can check throats using an internal micrometer or pin gages for the most accuracy. You can slug each throat using a dead soft, oversized lead bullet, lubed pushed thru from the rear of the cyl, then measure each.
If everything measure properly, running even a soft lead bullet to 1200fps is pretty easily done. You can just get there with W231, but you'll be pushing it very hard. Slower powders like Unique, WSF, Universal, PP, HS6, will give you 1200fps with a nice pressure cushion. Unique is my choice for midrange 44mag loads & I use nothing but lead bullets for all my revolver shooting, 357mag up thru heavy 45colt.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts

What you want is right in the middle of True Blue's load range from Western's data. It's probably the best all around handgun powder you can buy and can be used for any handgun cartridge with exceptional results in some cases. Ramshot ;)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
What you want is right in the middle of True Blue's load range from Western's data. It's probably the best all around handgun powder you can buy and can be used for any handgun cartridge with exceptional results in some cases. Ramshot ;)
If you could buy it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
What do you mean by never under load the charges? Thanks
Based on the size of the .44 Mag case, a small charge will have delayed ignition and cause pressure to build up to dangerous levels. I learned this years ago. A reduced charge of W296 would not fill the case and the primer not being able to ignite the powder fast enough. That's why you never see reduced charges for W296. I also load .44 Specials with 8.0 grains of Unique and a 240 grain SWC lead.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Based on the size of the .44 Mag case, a small charge will have delayed ignition and cause pressure to build up to dangerous levels. I learned this years ago. A reduced charge of W296 would not fill the case and the primer not being able to ignite the powder fast enough. That's you never see reduced charges for W296. I also load .44 Specials with 8.0 grains of Unique and a 240 grain SWC lead.
The other issue is a hangfire from incomplete ignition. This happened to me using W296/H10 w/ 200gr bullets, less than full power loads & a cold 30deg day. With W296/H110, it's not recommended to reduce below 3% of max & in the cold, use a mag primer. You can get by with a std primer in hot climates.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I use 10gr unique, gives approx. 1100ft/sec. nice comfortable load.

24gr of 296 is a mean round. I shoot that in my Super Redhawk, not sure of the safety in a Blackhawk.
Double check the limits of your gun..

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I use 10gr unique, gives approx. 1100ft/sec. nice comfortable load.

24gr of 296 is a mean round. I shoot that in my Super Redhawk, not sure of the safety in a Blackhawk.
Double check the limits of your gun..
With a 240gr bullet, that is a max or over pressure load, depending on your gun. Hornady tops out @ 22.8gr, so work up to 24gr starting at 22.5gr. Why I no longer use h110/w296, it's pretty much full power or nothing. 2400 is a little more versatile & only gives up about 50fps on the top end & 50fps isn't making a damn bit of diff in the field.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
If you could buy it.
Well, there is that, but I think things will improve after January. Luckily, I have some on the way from Western/Ramshot. A good alternative powder for a 240 gr. SWC at 1200 FPS would be AA#7 if it can be found and Lyman's data for AA#9 for the 245 gr. "Keith" SWC should be very close. Western's data for the LaserCast 240 gr. SWC is slightly lower than the Lyman 245 gr. SWC data.

I don't use W296/H110 for the same reasons. When I stopped using Blue Dot in .41 Magnum, that's part of the reason I went to AA#9. That and its slightly faster burn rate seemed more appropriate for the smaller .41 and .357 Magnum cases. After #9 had changed manufacturers a few times I decided to get away from it and went to Enforcer/AA 4100 because it has always come from the same place. Enforcer/4100 are very similar in burn rate to 2400 & AA#9 and they can all be loaded "down." To give you an idea of how close, Lyman used Enforcer for the highest velocity 125 gr. Gold Dot load in .357 SIG and it's compressed like the 13.0 gr. #9 load. Enforcer/4100 is made by the same Belgian manufacturer who make True Blue and all of the Ramshot spherical rifle powders along with AA 2230 and 2520. BTW, just found out that 2520 is the powder that Ramshot markets in Europe as "Wild Boar."

Don't know if you've tried Hunter yet, Fred, but from what I've heard, It's supposed to be outstanding in the .260 AI. Ditto for .260 Rem. and the 6.5 Creedmoor.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Don't know if you've tried Hunter yet, Fred, but from what I've heard, It's supposed to be outstanding in the .260 AI. Ditto for .260 Rem. and the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Well if the Ramshot stuff comes back on line, I will have to give it a try. I am quite happy w/ H4350 in the 260ai, very uniform results. I did score a # of Sil, so when I get back to playing with full power 9 & 40, I'll give it a run.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Well if the Ramshot stuff comes back on line, I will have to give it a try. I am quite happy w/ H4350 in the 260ai, very uniform results. I did score a # of Sil, so when I get back to playing with full power 9 & 40, I'll give it a run.
Well, congrats on finding some Sil. I think you'll like it a lot for full power 9mm and .40 S&W loads and particularly defense loads. The faster I push it in 9mm the better it does and I don't think there's anything really better for loading 9mm +P defense loads with 124 gr. JHPs. I'll be curious to see what OACL you end up using for the XDm.

Still haven't done anything on my mid caliber rifle project, and have I ruled out the 7mm-08. But this isn't just about my usual Ramshot fanboy speak. I would use either of the 4350s or the 4831s, sc in the case of H4831 and I like RL19 also and RL17 shows potential. But during my research into 6.5 Creedmore vs .260 Rem. vs .260 AI vs 6.5 x 284, I ran across a very good article by a benchrest shooter who was trying to make that determination. He ended up going with the .260 AI and made up some lasers with Hunter. Very impressive. Technically, it may not be the most accurate in 6.5 Creedmore but it seems to have the highest velocity potential. Same with .260 Rem., but it was the most accurate powder tested in NOSLER's data with 120 gr. bullets which is what I'd use for Texas whitetail and why I was focusing on the 1 in 9" twist. I kinda want to stick with a short action but I'm wavering a bit. Savage has the Axis II that's a steal and it's chambered in 7mm-08. It has the Accu-Trigger and the only real difference between it and the M11 is less machining on the Axis II's receiver. They just mill an ejection port rather than cut as much reciever mat'l for the open top of the M11. They only build the rifles with standard actions regardless of the cartridge. But that might not be a bad thing since SAAMI spec for the 7mm-08 is the typical 2.800". With bullets 140 grs. and heavier it might be possible to load longer depending on the throats since the box mags are also standard length.

A lot of my interest in 6.5mm came from wanting to load with Hunter. On Hodgden's burn rate chart it comes in just slower than RL19 & IMR 4831. It has excellent velocity potential but I think they named it Hunter because it isn't temperature sensitive like most ball rifle powders. I could use it in 7mm-08 as well but for 120 & 140 gr. bullets, Big Game is probably the better choice. Hunter does it all in the 6.5mms, although slightly faster powders like Big Game might be better for lighter bullets, but I'm not really interested in any varmint hunting applications. One thing I have decided, though, is that if I go with a 6.5 it will be the .260 Rem. With Hunter it will do anything I need to get done and if not, it will become a .260 AI. ;)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
IMO, the AI isn't worth doing to a std 260. I did it because it was a new rebarrel, anything you want for the same price. I use Redding dies for FL bump & std Lee 260 neck dies. The good thing about an AI, std neck dies will work. I do get really good brass life though. Up to 8x-10X fired before trimming.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
IMO, the AI isn't worth doing to a std 260. I did it because it was a new rebarrel, anything you want for the same price. I use Redding dies for FL bump & std Lee 260 neck dies. The good thing about an AI, std neck dies will work. I do get really good brass life though. Up to 8x-10X fired before trimming.
Yeah, that is good, even if it were with the .260 Rem. I meant to say that I haven't ruled out a 7mm-08 instead of have, and I didn't mean to exclude AA 4350 when I said the 2 4350s. I'd likely use H or IMR but I've seen decent enough results with AA 4350 as well.

With Hunter, the .260 would work for me. If I thought otherwise, the Savage M111 is chambered in 6.5 x .284, but then you get into higher pressure and throat erosion much quicker. After my last post I thought about this as well, when Hornady brought ought the 6.5 Creedmoor, instead of using their proprietary case, why not use a short magnum case with the shoulder set at the same length with a pressure limit of 62,000 PSI? That would have given all the performance you need without the 65,000 PSI rating for the short magnums and you could use the 6.5 Creedmore's slightly longer OACL. ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts