Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best place to purchase reloading supplies online? My dad is already setup with a single stage press, which works great for rifles but not so much for pistols. I am looking at getting setup from scratch with a progressive press and everything else that goes along with reloading, just what I need is another hobby!! I have checked Amazon, Cabela's and Midway USA, just wondering if there are any hidden deals out there. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I've never ordered primers on line, I get them at the gun shows for pretty decent prices.

I've ordered brass on line and I get it for the best price I can. .40 S&W here, 9MM there, .45 acp somewhere else, etc. I just do web searches to find places selling the caliber I want and check for a good price (check out the shipping, too - no use getting a great deal on brass and making up the difference in the shipping).

I've ordered bullets on line and again, I look for the best prices for the bullets I want at the time. Some places sell "seconds" at a cheaper price. The "seconds" usually have some tarnished spots on them, or a dent in a bullet here and there.

I've only ordered powder on line once. I wanted powder (specific IMR powders) for my .223, .308 and 30.06 reloading. It seemed no one ever had both types I wanted (IMR4198 and IMR4895) at the same time. Finally, after months of looking, I found a place that had both types and I ordered some of each type.

Also, for primers and powder you'll pay an extra fee for shipping hazardous materials. They call it the hazmat fee. So, if you order either on line, order enough to make it worth it.

I have yet to find one or two vendors who sell what I want at the price I want to pay, so I surf several vendors when I'm looking for something and don't always find it right away.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't plan on ordering powder or primers online. Mainly the reloading equipment, bullets and some brass. I have a good collection of brass from over the years collecting just dust until I pull the trigger on reloading.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've had good luck with amazon and midway for equipment but I only have a single stage press, I don't know how they are for progressives. I use Amazon for rcbs die sets as their prices are usually the best, but you have to know the part number to make sure you are getting what you want.

For bullets I use xtreme, brass I buy from a local gun forum. Good Luck!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I buy most of my powder & primers pn line, just be aware there is a $27 haz mat fee + shipping. Depending on where you live, sales tax replaces shipping & generally, prices are so much better than local, you cover the hm easily & still save. I figure on 10 units; 1# of powder or 1000 primers is a unit. That will avg less than $3/unit to your door. No gas or sales tax to go buy local.
Good on line sources for all components:
Powder valley
Natchez
Midsouth shooters
Wideners
Grafs

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I bought all of my equipment from Amazon and had excellent luck. As far as supplies, i usually buy local. Powder Valley is about an hour drive from me, but there's a guy in town that gets regular shipments from there and it's cheaper to buy from him than to have stuff shipped or drive down to Powder Valley.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
another good suggestion is to put in the order notes that you want all your supplies with the same lot number. If you're gonna buy powder, buy it in 8# jugs instead of 1# at a time. This will ensure that the powder will last a long time and that it will always behave the same way. When you buy 1# cans it's unlikely that you will get the same lot numbers between two containers, and you will have to adjust the charge weight so that the load performs like the old lot. In my case, from one lot to another, the charge weight went from 42.8 to 43.7 in order to maintain my accuracy node of 2880fps. That's already close to Max PSI so imagine if the lots were reversed! It's bad enough i have a cratering bolt face...

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
For general shooting and reloading supplies I use Midway mostly, Brownells also. Midway gets the nod most of the time due to quick shipping and I find their site easier to find stuff. Sometimes I find stuff on Amazon too.

Mid South is where I bought my Hornady progressive, I think I paid just under 400 for it.

I never buy powders or primers on line due to the hazmat stuff, I find enough local guys. Besides, I've been hoarding stuff for so long I've got tons of my favorite powders (Autocomp, VV320, Tightgroup) and many thousands of primers.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
For general shooting and reloading supplies I use Midway mostly, Brownells also. Midway gets the nod most of the time due to quick shipping and I find their site easier to find stuff. Sometimes I find stuff on Amazon too.

Mid South is where I bought my Hornady progressive, I think I paid just under 400 for it.

I never buy powders or primers on line due to the hazmat stuff, I find enough local guys. Besides, I've been hoarding stuff for so long I've got tons of my favorite powders (Autocomp, VV320, Tightgroup) and many thousands of primers.
That is a good start. For noobs, buying online will save them vs local, most of the time. They will need at least 5K primers, several 1# powders to try. I never recommend buying 8# of something new. I have several partial 1# of stuff I hate & will be there as SHTF reserve. So imagine popping for 8# of something you hate.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
That is a good start. For noobs, buying online will save them vs local, most of the time. They will need at least 5K primers, several 1# powders to try. I never recommend buying 8# of something new. I have several partial 1# of stuff I hate & will be there as SHTF reserve. So imagine popping for 8# of something you hate.
No doubt, I have an 8 pounder of NV320 and an 8 pounder of Autocomp, the 2 powders I use the most of. I've also got a bunch of Titegroup which I like because I get really good 38 and 44 loads out of it and I can use it for 9 and 45 too and get good results. It's like Bullseye in versitality without the dirtiness.

I watch for primers on sale at Cabela's, when they get down to 28 / 1000 I buy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any particular reason?
I like the Lock-N-Load bushings over having to change out the entire die plate when changing caliber's, I also like that you can flare and powder drop in the same station to make room for a bullet feeder and powder cop. I've watched a ton of videos and reviews and the Hornady gets great reviews, Pro-Chucker seems to get mixed reviews. I thought RCBS was the one, but after doing some research I'm not so sure now.....Is the Pro-2000 Auto Index a better choice or comparison to the Lock-N-Load?

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
If you were to meld the pro-2000 with the Pro-Chucker 5, then yes. The pro-2000 uses those stupid primer strips whereas the pro-chucker uses an auto-prime feeder like the Dillion 550.

The lock and load is great if you're going to be doing a lot of swapping of individual dies. I find that when i swap calibers, i end up swapping all the dies out anyway, so a tool-head is much more convenient.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I never understood the love affair with bushings in a progressive. Dillon solved caliber swaps decades ago with a removable tool head. Nothing to come loose or shear off. Both possible & probable with bushing setups, Hornady or Lee. Put the dies in the tool head, swap the entire unit out instead of 3-4 individual bushings. Any reason you are shunning the 650?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I never understood the love affair with bushings in a progressive. Dillon solved caliber swaps decades ago with a removable tool head. Nothing to come loose or shear off. Both possible & probable with bushing setups, Hornady or Lee. Put the dies in the tool head, swap the entire unit out instead of 3-4 individual bushings. Any reason you are shunning the 650?
No reason, just not familiar with it. I'll give it a look.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
No reason, just not familiar with it. I'll give it a look.
Keep in mind when comparing cost of a LNL to a 650, the 650 comes with most of the case feeder parts, hence the higher cost. All you need is the feeder bowl. If you never want a case feeder, the 650 is a bit of a pita to feed cases. I have run a LNL, but not the new ProChucker. The Prochucker has a removable die plate, much like the tool head on the Dillon. You swap the entire tool head/plate out when swapping calibers.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Lot of good info and equipment on The Brian Enos site. Has Dillon equipment, same price as Dillon but better shipping.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts