Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering releading. My dad has an Unused RCBS rock chucker kit he got a couple years back. He is more than willing to let me use it. Which means I'll have to learn how for both of us. RCBS has a nice general how to on their site so I have the basics of the steps. My question is how many say 40S&W can I expect to be able to relead in an hour once I learn the loads and get the hang of it? Am I better off looking into a dillion that can crank out 500 an hour?

I've become way to addicted to shooting so I need to lower costs! If I can get a decent rate out of the rock chucker I'd be happy to stick with it. I realize it won't be nearly as fast as the dillion.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Easier to learn the ropes with single stage. Learn with the simple stuff then progress into harder things.

Its like going out and paying $15,000 for a HK94 converted to full auto yet having never shot a gun in your life. (I hope you understand what I meant by this simile)

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
GET THE DILLON!!! I just got done loading 490 rds of 40 in about 1:15 . I had about 6 rds that did not come out right. dents or stuff I did not see before I put the round in. I have a rockchucker and I use it for match 223 loads, and larger rifle rounds. that is it. Dillon will make you so happy . Loading pistol rounds on a single stage is so crappy. You will be fed up in about one hour of loading.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
beardman2 said:
I'm considering releading. My dad has an Unused RCBS rock chucker kit he got a couple years back. He is more than willing to let me use it. Which means I'll have to learn how for both of us. RCBS has a nice general how to on their site so I have the basics of the steps. My question is how many say 40S&W can I expect to be able to relead in an hour once I learn the loads and get the hang of it? Am I better off looking into a dillion that can crank out 500 an hour?

I've become way to addicted to shooting so I need to lower costs! If I can get a decent rate out of the rock chucker I'd be happy to stick with it. I realize it won't be nearly as fast as the dillion.
That RCBS rock chucker is probably upgradable to a progressive press. Learn how to use it single stage then upgrade it to a progressive. That's a lot cheaper way to go.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Just loaded 500 rounds of .40 in 30 minuteson my 650.

200 of .45 min 25 minutes on my 550.

Progressive is the way to go for pistol ammo.

You'll soon outgrow the rock chucker, don't bother tooling up for it.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Do not upgrade the Rockchucker to progresive. The Piggyback system is a waste of money. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=893867
$269.99 and a dillon is only 100$ more with the right accessories.
Get the 550B with the Strong mount. You can use any dies you want as long as they fit the machine(most do). I have Lee dies cause they are cheap. 21 for a set. 43-50$ for dillon dies. I use once fired brass from my gun and I got some from Midway(non-nickel) and I also use the EGW guns 40 die you can find it here http://egw-guns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=40
It helps with Glock brass. Make sure you get the right conversion kits to go with your machine. If you have a Sportsmans Warehouse nearby they sell Dillon Products. There you can get a look at the machine, and what you need.

·
Registered
260 Posts
When I got back into pistol shooting, I fired up my 30 year old Rockchucker. Way too slow for the amout of ammo I was shooting. It would take me an hour to load 60-70 shells. So, I bought a Hornaday LNL AP (no case feeder). Much, much better.

WyoBob

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yuck 2 1/2 hours of reloading to do an hour of shooting doesn't sound like any fun to me. I'm assuming the dies would fit the rockchucker and dillions? I can at least learn the ropes while I save... then again that dillion is about the price of another gun... damn this hobby!

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
WyoBob said:
When I got back into pistol shooting, I fired up my 30 year old Rockchucker. Way too slow for the amout of ammo I was shooting. It would take me an hour to load 60-70 shells. So, I bought a Hornaday LNL AP (no case feeder). Much, much better.

WyoBob
Are you talking a progressive RCBS press? With 60 cases ready to go I can reload 60 22-250 in an hour to an hour and a half single stage.

Of course if I was loading for semiauto I think I would go with a Dillion.

·
Registered
260 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
WyoBob said:

WyoBob
Are you talking a progressive RCBS press? With 60 cases ready to go I can reload 60 22-250 in an hour to an hour and a half single stage.

Of course if I was loading for semiauto I think I would go with a Dillion.
The Rockchucker is a single stage. The Hornady is a progressive.

WyoBob

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
It also takes me about an hour to load 60 to 70 cases on my Rockchucker. However those are match loads that are completely preped before I use them and priming is done separate from the machine. We are talking pistol ammo and a progresive(whichever one you pick) is much faster. I have some loads for .45acp that are outstanding. and I get some really lame ones too. you just have to find what works for your guns.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
If you don't have dies already and only want to load pistol ammo only.
I bought Dillon's square deal b .300 bucks to my door bolt to bench and few slight adjustments.I can make 200+ rounds per hour easy
www.brianenos.com
He is a great guy and saves a couple bucks on shipping.
I buy pre tumbled brass on ebay 4.00 per 500 for mixed nickle and had them add to a total of 1500 for 7.00 shipping. 8)
Note you will only need to buy a Dillon once.NO B.S. lifetime warranty

·
Registered
16 Posts
WHATS UP I HAVE USED A AMMO MASTER SENSE 1990 FOR 9mm/.45acp/.40sw/.223/.30-06/.308.. ALONE I HAVE RESIZED 250,000 9mm CASES WHICH SOMEONE GAVE ME! AND HAVE RELOADED OVER 500,000++ ROUNDS OF AMMO OVER THE YEARS. I SHOOT AN AVERAGE OF 15,000 ROUNDS A YEAR OF 9mm WITH JUST MY GLOCK-17 IT HAS FIRED OVER 120,000 ROUNDS SENSE 1997. WITH .45acp I DO 100 ROUNDS IN 11 mins, SAME WITH THE .40sw, 9mm I DO BY THE 200 ROUND BATCHES IT TAKES 15 mins TO DO THEM I ALSO ADDED THE TAPER CRIMP STEP TO THE PROCESS. YOU CAN'T GET THE AMMO MASTER ANY MORE, BUT RCBS WILL GIVE YOU ANY THING YOU NEED IF YOU NEED IT!! IT DON'T MATTER WHAT YOU RELOADING STUFF YOU USE!(ENJOY DOING IT!! )
(THE WAY OF THE GUN!!)

_____________________________ PARA-14-45 S/S
KIMBER PRO CARRY S/S
KIMBER PRO CARRY TEN II
COLT COMMANDER HI-CAP 18 ROUND
GLOCK-17 (NEVER FAILS!!)
SIG 226 BLACK/STAINLESS
XD-40 BLACK/STAINLESS
XD-9 BLACK/STAINLESS
BERETTA COUGAR 8000 9mm
UZI 9mm 10/16 inch
[/list]