Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently reload rounds for my 7mm Remington Magnum hunting/target rifle because the rounds are much more accurate and I can reload them for about half the cost of buying them at the store.

In the three weeks that I've had my XD-40 Tactical, I've ran 300 rounds through it. The cheapest I've found ammo in my area is $16 for 100 rounds (.16 per round). Can any of you guys give me an estimate on what is costs to reload .40 S&W rounds. I would think that I'd almost be better off just to buy ammo at the store. Can I reload them for cheaper than .16 per round?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Don't bother. After buying all the equipment the break-even point would be at about 50,000 rounds.

My 2c's

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
The break even would be closer to 2000 round for single stage press, but it is still a good hobby to learn. The single stage press is somewhat tedious if you are looking for volume, so looking into a progressive is worth while.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I took the NRA reloading course four years ago. I read everything about the progressive press's and then settled on an RCBS Pro 2000. It is a great press. A friend helped me get started and I coached him with his shooting. It is a great hobby, and if you shoot pistol, I think that a progressive is a must. The initial cost is the same as a new pistol, but well worth the investment. I currently tailor my loads in my XD-40, G-23,HK-45, Sig 220, and 41 Magnums. Some I shoot lead and some Rainier plated. once you start this journey, you will never stop learning. :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I currently reload for my 7mm Rem Mag rifle, I already have a single stage press with all the equiptment I'de need except a set of dies. I think if I decided to reload for my XD-40, I'd look into a nice progressive press. It takes me about 2 hours to load 50 rounds for my rifle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been reloading now for about two years, mainly hangun ammo and 30-06 rifle ammo. If you are going to continue to use a single stage press for 40S&W I would recommend a set of LEE dies. I know that some people really don't think that much of LEE dies but for the money you can't beat them. And to make it even better thier powder thru expanding dies knocks an entire step off of reloading if you have one of their powder measures that you can attach to it. All of my hangun (straight walled) caliber dies are LEE with the exception of my 45ACP which is RCBS. Reloading rifle ammo should take longer IMHO because extreme accurracy is usually what you are going for. Personally I reload handgun ammo because I enjoy reloading and if time is not really a factor, I have found I can reload for a little less than buying factory. With that said, if Win USA 100round range packs is all you plan to buy and shoot for "fun", buy it, shoot it, save the brass, and reload it just for grins. It's hard to beat the price of Win USA even when reloading.

If you are thinking of a progressive press, I would steer clear of the LEE ProLoad 1000. I have one and it works okay but it gets a little tempermental. A friend has a Dillion and loves it. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. And with a progressive you can easily crank out 100 round or more in an hour if your press isn't "tempermental." :lol:

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you just have the one cal and only go through a box or 2 per month, it prob is not worth it over the short term. But if you shoot on a regular basis or have other cals such as 45 and 38, then it will pay off pretty quick. For my 40's I use Berry's plated bullets, this lowers my cost while not leading the barrel. I shoot medium target load, so I get quite a few rounds from a pound of powder. I also try to stick to 1 powder, such as Win 231 or Unique or Bullseye. All three have good loads for 45, 40 and 38. Then I can buy a 8lb keg and cut cost even more.

I also use the lee dies with the pro-auto disk power measure. I am very happy with the results.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Been a long time since actually kept track of cost per 1K of own pistol handloads. AUsing plated bullets, a nice cheap but exc. powder like Titegroup and even buying once-fired .40 bras which is fairly cheap right now it's still economical. As f4tweet says "currently tailor my loads" that's the heart of handloading: you get almost exactly what you want.
Personally have practice loads, IDPA & "Major" Power Factor" loads, Equivilent Self-Defense loads, etc.
Not to mention the loads worked up with the best FMJ & JHP bullets for wringing the best accuracy out of the particular gun.
Can find a used Dillon Square Deal around her for $180-200 with dies. If you really like it can get a used 550 that will also load for your rifle. Dillon's warranty is good if you're the 1st owner or the 10th. so buying used is a very good way to go.
Since you already load for rifle there won't be much of a learning curve and brass preparation is a snap for pistol compared to rifle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts