Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to reload some 9mm using 124 gr Hornady XTP jhp's, i cant decide how many grains i should put in them. If i use

7.3 grains of blue dot = 1150 ft/s 365 ft/lbs at muzzle
7.1 grains of blue dot = 1100 ft/s 330 ft/lbs at muzzle

Im new at this, how much should i use??, the max is at 9.0 grains of blue dot. Is the 7.3 grain specs ok to shoot?? or are they too hott??? any input would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
If 9 grains is the published max load then why would 7.3 be too hot? Its always smart to start 15%-20% below the max and work your way up SLOWLY to wherever you decide to go with the load. I personaly do not use Herculese powders, I prefer Hodgens and VV powders, although I used to use IMR a few times with good results. Get a load book and read read read read read....

Reloading is a fun hobby and allows you to taylor your loads to your own preferances but you have to do so with caution, one double charge or too big of a charge, or wrong powder and you will be buying a new gun and possibly dealing with injuries. Never exceed published loads and you should learn the signs of excessive pressures. a good resource for reloading is http://www.handloads.com/

Good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I run most of my 124 grain loads at 1050fps myself. Very comfortable

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
correction I said that the max was 9 gr of blue dot. It is 7.9 Gr.

I also did some research from data off of midway of some factory 124gr loads.
Remington Golden Saber 9mm Luger +P 124 Grain =
Muzzle Velocity: 1180 fps
Muzzle Energy: 384 ft. lbs

Speer Gold Dot 9mm + P 124gr jhp =
Muzzle Velocity: 1150 fps
Muzzle Energy: 367 ft. lbs.

Speer Gold 9mm 124 gr. jhp =
Muzzle velocity: 1150 fps
Muzzle energy: 327 ft/lb

Magtech Guardian Gold 9mm Luger 124 Gr. jhp =
Muzzle Velocity: 1096 fps
Muzzle Energy: 331 ft-lbs

Thanks for all the help!! Any More Ideas??????[/b]

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
You can not work up loads based on published velocities. you have to have a recipe for a specific powder. Powder X at 3.5 grains may give 1000 fps with a pressure of 34,000 while powder Y at 3.5 grains may give you 900 fps with a pressure of 36,000 which is over SAAMI specs.

Consult a reloaders manual or refer to powder manufature data. As I said before, if the max load is rated at 7.9 grains then start 20% below that (which is 6.3) and slowly work up as you observe the cases and spent primers for signs of high pressures. it woould help to use a chrono, although they are not a must have. You can buy a decent one for less than $100.00.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the help man, but the minimum in my speer reloading manual is 7.1 grains muzzle 330 ftlbs 1100 ft/ps, how do you calculate pressure and what is the max pressure? what is a good pressure for a 9mm round??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
based on my data what choice should i make 7.1, 7.2 , 7.3 take in mind all these are under pressure according to the speer manual

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Remember something else, no matter what a manual says, if you are seating the bullet deeper (or shallower) and your crimp is tighter (or looser), you're pressures are going to be quite different than what a loading manual states.

Tighter and deeper your bullets are seated, the more pressure. A load that is perfectly fine for one person may not be for the other due to OAL and how much crimp.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
start at 7.1 and work up .1 grains at a time, load 5 rounds of each.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys i appreciate it alot. ill let you know how they turned out. The reason i went with blue dot is becuase according to the speer manual it was really efficient. It was second most efficient or maybe it meant hottest burning,im not sure, but it was up there on the list of powders for 9mm luger. Unique was 4th i think.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
The faster the burn, the shorter the recoil impulse=less percieved recoil. the more case capacity that is used, the more consistent the load will be and the more accurate it should be as well.

I just went from a medium powder in my .40 to a super fast powder. It went from 16 fps. variation to upwards of 30 fps variation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts