Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had problems with cci 500 small pistol primers with their 4 Inch Bi-Tone XD 40

i am getting light strikes with them thay go off on the second try
one in about 200 dont go off
it is starting to get on my nerves :x

i dont have any problems with them in my other 40 cal

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I did until I started using a Lee hand primer tool. My press was not giving me a good feel and the primers were not seated all of the way. The first strike would seat the primer, the second would detonate it. No more problems with CCI primers now. 8)

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Used CCI a few times. Same as you, got tired of the damn hard primers. Switched to Federal and haven't had any probems since.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Well, mines the black model, but no! I have used 4-5 thousand CCI's small pistol and EVERY one has went boom.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Never had that problem with CCI, I would agree with previous response that they may not be seated all the way.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would say the problem is as others have posted, with seating the primers properly. When properly seated, the primer should be approximately .004" below the level of the base of the case. Over time, you'll get the feel for this.

That said, in the late 1970's, CCI did have an inordinately hard primer and even their factory ammunition would often times misfire in stock handguns. This was a particular problem with the Lawman series of pistol ammunition. Our department at the time was using the 125 grain hollowpoint Lawman, and was getting about 10% misfires in .38 special. We changed over to Winchester ammunition and never had another problem.

I've used the current CCI primers and they don't appear any harder than Remington, Winchester or any of the others, so my assumption is they have changed the metallurgy of their primer cups, which wouldn't surprise me, since they have changed hands so many times in recent years. They now are under the ATK umbrella, and ATK knows the ammunition and firearms related business. They are the current operators of the Lake City Ordinance Plant for the U. S. government.

Fred

1 - 6 of 6 Posts