Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I didn't do a search so yell at will...

I'm looking to start reloading. I know nothing about it. So I want to know the equipment I need to start doing it, and is there a book for beginners?

9mm

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Buy a loading manual. They usuallly have a fail preface on reloading concerns which is a good start. The Lee manual usuallly covers a wide selection of both powders and bullets adn is a good start. Other manuals often cover only their brand of component (but are still good, you can never have too many manuals).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don said:
Buy a loading manual. They usuallly have a fail preface on reloading concerns which is a good start. The Lee manual usuallly covers a wide selection of both powders and bullets adn is a good start. Other manuals often cover only their brand of component (but are still good, you can never have too many manuals).
Yeah, then buy a Dillon. :)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
The NRA has a reloading course, if you can find someone in your area who teaches it. Buying the book required for the class would be useful, even if you can't take the class. Otherwise, try to find someone locally who can show you how it's done. You can learn it on your own, it's not really very difficult, but is ever so much easier when you can do a hands on with someone else who is an experienced reloader.

·
Registered
66 Posts
For a beginner I would say start with single stage press. Once you get the hang of if go progressive. I've been loading for @6 years now but I still enjoy doing single stage. Has someone mention go buy a good reloading manual? :wink:

vega

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I started loading this year in if you look in the ammo can you will find alot of info.

Good manual read it :D
I bought a progressive right out of the gate Dillon sqaure deal b Cheap 300 found @ www.brianenos.com
Only does pistol rounds but makes them fast easy to use
You will need
Press
Cailpers
scale
Dies ( unless the press comes with them)
Manual
Powder,Brass,Primers and bullets
Later you will add a tumbler and media seprator
To start you can buy clean brass or wash them in detergent :shock:

·
Registered
401 Posts
There is a book, "The ABCs of Reloading", that I often recommend to new reloaders. It's a good introductory manual.

The Lyman and Speer manuals are also a good read.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Might also take the NRA metallic cartridge reloading course. It is the only NRA course I ever took and was actualy worth the money. My instructor was a retired USAF ordnance officer with 45 years of reloading knowledge and expertise to share with us. After all the book learning and exam came the practical test, loading a real cartridge, twice. I still have a .240 Win that I loaded somewhere around here, he let us keep the rounds but I don't have a rifle in that caliber.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts