Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start reloading for my AR. Its a Bushmaster with a 16" barrel and 1 in 9 twist. What loads have been found to be accurate in 16" ARs? I'm looking for plinking ammo, not $5 per round super sniper rounds.

Thanks.

·
Banned
484 Posts
I use H335 powder and cci primers. Hornady 55 gr. boat tails.

I have had no problems, all go bang and shoot accurate enough for me.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
ok one quick question do you have the ability to purchase in bulk?

I picked up 6k hornady 55gr fmj-bt for $68 per thosand delivered you order smaller quantities but the shipping will drive the price per bullet up

I also get varget powder I'm an 8lb keg for $118 OTD

CCI small rifle primers $22 per 1k

My total price per round using 22.8 grains of powder using and salvaged range brass is about .14 cents round and it's more accurate than any of the manufacture plinking ammo

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
ok one quick question do you have the ability to purchase in bulk?

I picked up 6k hornady 55gr fmj-bt for $68 per thosand delivered you order smaller quantities but the shipping will drive the price per bullet up

I also get varget powder I'm an 8lb keg for $118 OTD

CCI small rifle primers $22 per 1k

My total price per round using 22.8 grains of powder using and salvaged range brass is about .14 cents round and it's more accurate than any of the manufacture plinking ammo
Where???? :)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can purchase in bulk, but I want to make sure I get the right components rather than buying a bunch of components that end up not working well.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Where???? :)
lockstock.com item 2267B

I can purchase in bulk, but I want to make sure I get the right components rather than buying a bunch of components that end up not working well.
hornady makes good bullets using that recipe I can shoot qtr size groups from 100 yard using open sights

You can order 1k-5k rounds for $68 but shipping is $14.50 if you order 6k it's $68 shipped my total was $403

Honestly I'm not sure you will find the powder and primers as cheap but who knows I got a FFL buddy who gets me my supplies at his cost

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
I'd pay $68, just to see a guy shoot a quarter-sized group @ 100 yds with iron sights! :cool:

As to my AR reloading, the best bulk bullets I ever used were IMI 55gr fmj from Wideners, but I haven't been able to find those bullets for some time now. I'm still using AA2200 powder that I bought a few years back @ $48 per 8#, delivered. I'm currently paying whatever Powder Valley's prices are for primers. I use 100% processed Lake City brass from Scharch's.

I'm also shootina 1-in-9 16" Bushy Shorty.

The best groups I ever shot with that Bushy were using H335 pushing Berger bullets.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
come on down to Okc I'll show you but I do cheat I we a bench rest 100 yards isn't that far oh and bring me the $68 I'm not that proud
I'd pay $68, just to see a guy shoot a quarter-sized group @ 100 yds with iron sights! :cool:

As to my AR reloading, the best bulk bullets I ever used were IMI 55gr fmj from Wideners, but I haven't been able to find those bullets for some time now. I'm still using AA2200 powder that I bought a few years back @ $48 per 8#, delivered. I'm currently paying whatever Powder Valley's prices are for primers. I use 100% processed Lake City brass from Scharch's.

I'm also shootina 1-in-9 16" Bushy Shorty.

The best groups I ever shot with that Bushy were using H335 pushing Berger bullets.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
come on down to Okc I'll show you but I do cheat I we a bench rest 100 yards isn't that far oh and bring me the $68 I'm not that proud
Man, that'd be an expensive trip for me from GA! ;) We are talking about five-shot groups, now, aren't we? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
568 Posts
You need to do some experimenting first, two identical rifles that came off of the assembly line next to each other will shoot differently. Buy small lots of each bullet weight that will work well for your rifle (that is determined by barrell twist not length) a 1 in 9 twist barrell will stabilize lighter bullets better than heavy ones. Load and shoot every type of bullet that you can get your hands on then once you find the load and bullet combination that works well then you order in bulk. precisionshooters and sniperforums have some pretty experienced handloaders that are willing to share some of their experiences and pet loads.

Rember, reloading is recycling so reloaders are doing their part for the environment:mrgreen:.

Shoot safe and have fun. DD

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Man, that'd be an expensive trip for me from GA! ;) We are talking about five-shot groups, now, aren't we? :mrgreen:
im sure i can, i normally do 3 shot groups but for you i would give it a shot.

to be prefectly honest here let me clarify qtr size was my best grouping and while i was able to repeat it not every group was that tight using the HRN 2267 bullet at 100 yards.

I can shoot .223" groups.

One shot at a time.
ill bet you $1 million dollars you can't

You need to do some experimenting first, two identical rifles that came off of the assembly line next to each other will shoot differently. Buy small lots of each bullet weight that will work well for your rifle (that is determined by barrell twist not length) a 1 in 9 twist barrell will stabilize lighter bullets better than heavy ones. Load and shoot every type of bullet that you can get your hands on then once you find the load and bullet combination that works well then you order in bulk. precisionshooters and sniperforums have some pretty experienced handloaders that are willing to share some of their experiences and pet loads.

Rember, reloading is recycling so reloaders are doing their part for the environment:mrgreen:.

Shoot safe and have fun. DD
+1 but for range plinking you cant beat the price of the honrady, remember we are going for combat accuracy here and by simply controlliing case length, OAL and charge you will get more accurate ammunition than you can buy

i can get more accurate and consistent groups using the Sierra #1380 than i can the hornady but at about twice the cost. this is good for benchrest shooting but not cost effective enough for throwing lead down range.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Don't forget that Montana Gold is now in the 55gr bullet market now. They are in direct competition with Hornady for the 55gr market. The MG bullet has a slightly better BC too.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Don't forget that Montana Gold is now in the 55gr bullet market now. They are in direct competition with Hornady for the 55gr market. The MG bullet has a slightly better BC too.
Using the MG bullet and H335 my 20" Bushy will shoot just under 0.5" groups @ 100 yds.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts