Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some 55 gr. Hornady V-Max bullets with the moly coating. The bullet seems to be longer than the neck. Is this natural or is it something I need to be concerned about?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought some 55 gr. Hornady V-Max bullets with the moly coating. The bullet seems to be longer than the neck. Is this natural or is it something I need to be concerned about?
It's nothing to be concerned about as long as you follow your powder mfg's loading data guidelines. I load the 40, 50 & 55 gr V-max for .223 and 5.7x28. Using Ramshot Exterminator or TAC, there is still room in the .223 case for the bullet without compressing the charge or causing any pressure problems.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GW. I've been reloading 45 Colt ammo with excellent results so far. The .223 is my next step.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've ordered the 55gn VMax as well, w/o the coating. Also my first step into rifle reloading, been having good results reloading 9mm. Picked up H335, waiting on the bullets and the Hornady dies from Midway. Using the Hornady manual, says to use Winchester WSR primers, whats your recipe?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just remember that the Hornady 55 gr V-Max is a flat base bullet and requires a little more attention when you seat them. The 50 gr V-Max is a boat tail as is the 40 gr V-Max. I use the Hornady seating die which has a drop down seating stem which makes loading flat base bullets a little easier. Chamfering the inside of the case mouth helps.

I load for my Mini-14 at 24.0 gr X-Terminator with a 55gr FMJBT or 24.5 gr TAC with the same bullet. We took it up to 25.0 grains of TAC for my friend's Remington SPS with a 1:12 twist rate. Both loads in the SPS stayed at <1.25" at 100 yards (5-shot groups). I generally use WIN SRP's because the plinking loads w/ X-Terminator are loaded on the Dillon 550B and they generally work better in the Dillon's priming system. The latest box of CCI's have worked very well, too. I use the Lee FCD for those loads, but the bolt rifle loads don't get a crimp and don't need one.

I've really learned to appreciate the versatility of TAC for .223, 7.62X54r and .308. It meters extremely well and is not the most expensive powder.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just remember that the Hornady 55 gr V-Max is a flat base bullet and requires a little more attention when you seat them. The 50 gr V-Max is a boat tail as is the 40 gr V-Max. I use the Hornady seating die which has a drop down seating stem which makes loading flat base bullets a little easier. Chamfering the inside of the case mouth helps.

I load for my Mini-14 at 24.0 gr X-Terminator with a 55gr FMJBT or 24.5 gr TAC with the same bullet. We took it up to 25.0 grains of TAC for my friend's Remington SPS with a 1:12 twist rate. Both loads in the SPS stayed at <1.25" at 100 yards (5-shot groups). I generally use WIN SRP's because the plinking loads w/ X-Terminator are loaded on the Dillon 550B and they generally work better in the Dillon's priming system. The latest box of CCI's have worked very well, too. I use the Lee FCD for those loads, but the bolt rifle loads don't get a crimp and don't need one.

I've really learned to appreciate the versatility of TAC for .223, 7.62X54r and .308. It meters extremely well and is not the most expensive powder.

I haven't chosen a powder yet but I am leaning towards Hogdon's H335. I am currently using Hogdon Titegroup with excellent results for my .45 Colt rounds.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I'm mystified by "the bullet seems longer than the neck." What the heck does that mean?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts