Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all...

I am new to reloading and have put together an RCBS kit to help me on my way...
I am interested im loading for my XD40 Tactical.
I shoot IDPA, IPSC, USPSA, an 3gun...
ESP, Production, and Limited (10)

I have more than enough brass, Winchester WSP primers, and PrecisionBullets 155gr projectiles.

I would like to load for both major and minor power.
I hve found a few 180-200gr recipes but nothing lighter...
Can anyone help with a recipe???

Thanks in advance to all .....

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
check the Brian Enos forum, tons of info there. By the way, from my own experimentation as well as ALOT of others I shoot with, the heavier bullets will yield less percieved recoil. Might want to consider the 180's.
Another thing to note, I and several others have had misfires with Winchester primers, I switched to Federal and havent had another problem, they are aso the softest on the market so no chance of a light strike either.

When I say misfires I mean maybe 1 or 2 out of 1000-2000, which if your in a big match is one to many!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Try 4.5 grains of Hodgdon's Universal for minor PF. I don't have a load that makes major, but I'd wager it would be around 5.5 grains of Universal.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great info... now here comes another question....

What is a good OAL for them... WWB comes in at 1.23 - 1.25...

I have seen examples of 1.13 - 1.16... any suggestions...

·
Registered
401 Posts
I like to load mine on the long side. The XD is supposed to be more reliable with rounds that are loaded near the limit of COAL.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Sir_William said:
Thanks for the great info... now here comes another question....

What is a good OAL for them... WWB comes in at 1.23 - 1.25...

I have seen examples of 1.13 - 1.16... any suggestions...
Hmmm... did you mean WWB comes 1.123-1.125? not 1.23-1.25? I don't think a round 1.25 would even fit in and XD magazine and the book value for the max OAL of a 40 S&W is 1.135.

I have been making my 40S&W rounds 1.125 inches long with good results.

40S&W can be very sensitive to bullet seat depth especially in the heavier bullets, 180 and 200 grain as they take up a lot of the case volume. Many load recipes also included the OAL the load was loaded to and pressure tested. If you seat a bullet deeper than the recipe calls for you will get pressure higher then the recipe indicates. With heavy bullet this increase in pressure can be large, be careful.

mcb

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It appears i may have read the calipers wrong..

the link below is from the thread i started with the first round loaded...

The is a WWB 165gr and the second is mine 155gr...

It appears I read the calipers wrong... should it be read 1.124 OAL ??

I am a newbie (less than a week) at this... so far my reloading has consisted of brass cleaning, case prep ( resizing, etc), priming, and flaring just enough to set a bullet in the mouth...
the round you see in teh pic does not actually have any powder in it..... mainly because I'm not sure of what charge to load yet, thus the reason for the post....

should the correct reading be 1.125 for the WWB ???

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=24829

·
Registered
401 Posts
Sir_William said:
It appears i may have read the calipers wrong..

the link below is from the thread i started with the first round loaded...

The is a WWB 165gr and the second is mine 155gr...

It appears I read the calipers wrong... should it be read 1.124 OAL ??
http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=24829
The way you read the caliper is you take the number to the left of the movable jaw, and then add the dial reading.

So in that first photo, it will be 1.1" plus the dial reading (.024") to get 1.124".

Think of the 0.10" markings on the caliper as hours, and the dial as minutes. Every time the dial completes a full circle you start another "hour".

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
ken_mays said:
Try 4.5 grains of Hodgdon's Universal for minor PF. I don't have a load that makes major, but I'd wager it would be around 5.5 grains of Universal.
I load major for a 4 inch barrel and my load is 180 Rainers with federal small rifle primers and 5.3 grains of Universal for a 169 PF.

The OAL is 1.125 and Ive never had a malfunction with feeding.

·
Registered
207 Posts
2.5 of Clays behind a 185 Precision Black Bullet set to 1.125 OAL chronos at 722 fps for 135PF. Do not use Clays for .40 Major! There are plenty of loads available from brianenos.com to do .40 Major.

As always when reloading, be conservative. Chrono your loads.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
That exactly the load a bunch of us use here for minor. 2.5 of clays. I use a 180 moly billy bullet..

Or try 3.0-3.5 gr of VV320 1.125" with a zero 180 jhp or moly bullet. Nice load and clean burning.

·
Registered
889 Posts
4.0 grs Tite Group 165gr Zero JHP minor load in XD40Tactical. 140 Power Factor
5.1 grs Tite Group 180gr Zero JHP major in same gun. 174 Power Factor.
Both loaded to 1.13 oal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts