Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if y'all could recommend a bench to purchase for a progressive reloader? I live in an apartment, so I neither have the tools nor the room to make one from scratch, so I have to buy it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I found a used Workmate bench on craiglist for $25. I then got a scrap 2x6 from Home Depot and put mounting screws on it and clamp in to the bench each time I reload. That way I can fold up the bench each time I am done and put it away. I don't live in an apartment but I still don't really have a place to leave it set up all the time. It's a pain since I have to build in set and clean up time but it works for now. Good luck

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I used a (cheap) surplus metal desk from a garage sale, and drilled the holes where the press needed to go, otherwise I used it as a normal desk for school and home paperwork.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Mount planks in a closet. Standing height. Only need 2x4 each end with lag screws into studs. Simple, out of sight when close doors, easy to remove with few holes to patch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have everything mounted to a 2x6, I clamp it to my kitchen table. I also live in an apartment so space is an issue for me also.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
In college I built one into a 24x36 coat closet. The smaller metal work benches are simple & affordable. You don't need. Ton of room but for a progressive, it needs to be solid.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Long ago I used to use a portable drafting table that folded up for storage. I would think they could still be found at a Hobby/Arts & Crafts store. Mine was about the size Fred describes. Using a WorkMate and reinforcing it a bit also sounds good. ;)

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I use an ugly a$$ kitchen table from the 1950s...steel frame and formica top...I just welded some tabs to the legs to bolt it down and doubled the plywood up for the press mounts; it was free, it was my Grandpa's and it works

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Long ago I used to use a portable drafting table that folded up for storage. I would think they could still be found at a Hobby/Arts & Crafts store. Mine was about the size Fred describes. Using a WorkMate and reinforcing it a bit also sounds good. ;)
I use Workmates to teach on, but they are a bit flimsy for progressives, especially those with case feeders. They work fine for a turret or ss though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I highly recommend Lee's reloading stand. It's very sturdy, and perfect for cats with limited space. It also enables you to use regular furniture to place your other items on while rolling, which for me is one of those $40 fold-up tables from WallyWorld, which is also pretty sturdy. And it's white plastic, so clean-up is a breeze...not to mention being able to easily see any wayward grains of powder. Here's my bench set-up:

$20140802_185312_resized_1.jpg $20140802_185300_resized_1.jpg

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
I highly recommend Lee's reloading stand. It's very sturdy, and perfect for cats with limited space. It also enables you to use regular furniture to place your other items on while rolling, which for me is one of those $40 fold-up tables from WallyWorld, which is also pretty sturdy. And it's white plastic, so clean-up is a breeze...not to mention being able to easily see any wayward grains of powder. Here's my bench set-up:

View attachment 29290 View attachment 29291

Looks good! Especially with that canister of True Blue on the lower shelf! ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks good! Especially with that canister of True Blue on the lower shelf! ;)
You noticed that! True Blue is one of my favorites. I did pay an obscene amount for it ($40!) at a gun show upon the strong recommendation of one of my friends, but I'm glad I did....an absolutely fantastic powder in every way.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
sam's club work table. 3/4" laminated top. steel frame. $200

1 - 15 of 15 Posts