Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find a better place for this question. Moderators please move if necessary.

I have a question for anyone that has had success loading the .40s&w. I am using a Dillon square deal and have had success with both .45acp and .357magnums. However, this weekend I tried my hand at loading the .40 for my XD40 and found that they newly loaded shells will not seat in the chamber. I checked the crimp and redid that because I found it to be too wide. I also used a factory bullet as a guide to measure from. I'm using 200gr FMJ. I measured down the length of the case at various points and have found it to be within .001-.002 of the factory load. If I give the slide a smack on the back it will seat the shell and the extractor does not seem to have any problem pulling the case from the chamber.

I went to the range before I recrimped the cases and had a heck of a time. I'm going to try and make it to the range tomorrow and see what I can find out, but was looking for any help.

More info: I do get a "bulge"about where the bullet stops after it is pushed into the case. I am using 1.125 oal which is what both books I'm using suggest. But at the "bulge" (for lack of a better word) the case still measures .001 wider than the factory load. I know that this could be part of the problem, but what would be the remedy?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I'm not quite sure why you are loading 200 grain bullets, that is quite heavy for .40 S&W. I hope you are not going to become a KaBoom statistic. I load mostly 180s myself, have never found a good reason to go higher, unless in 10mm. Up to you, though. As for the bulge, are you using a taper crimp die. If you are not, this might take care of the problem.

Another possibility for the feeding problem is that your OAL is not quite right. I had trouble initially with my reloads, I increased OAL to 1.140-1.142 and have had no problems since. BTW, the initial loads worked fine in two other .40 caliber pistols I had at the time, the XD was the only one they wouldn't work in. I think it had to do with the bullet nose shape (ogive).

Finally, polish your feed ramp, that might help. And make sure your slide rails are well lubed.

Good Luck

·
Registered
388 Posts
I haven't gotten to reload any .40 S&W yet, but I know that my XD always feeds and extracts Winchester ammo without error. Accordingly, I'm using measurements of WWB (165gr) and Winchester Ranger (180gr) as a starting point for my reloads. On average, OAL of both rounds is in the 1.100" to 1.150", with WWB tending toward the higher end of the range. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I had FTF with reloads when my gun was new. I polished the feedramp, breach face, chamber and haven't had any problems since.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die - - - This will cure many of the feeding problems with reloads. I use one on all my pistol ammo.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
I haven't reloaded 40SW. However, I had some of the same problems with 45ACP in an H&K.

Here are some things to try.

1) Sort your brass. You will find that brass fired in a Glock doesn't feed well many times. Also, some off brands (AMERC was the one for me) won't work reliabily no matter what I did.

2) Modify you shell holder and/or dies. If you do this you can full length size the brass. I ground about half the thickness from the shell holder and that helped.

3) Go out and buy a Lee factory Crimp Die. That solved 90% of my problems. The ONLY ammo I haven't been able to get to work after the factory crimp is AMERC.

On 40SW I have read in the relaoding manuals that 200gr is not too safe. It seats so far back that you can get very high pressures. Make sure and use OAL dimensions based upon that 200gr bullet and not on based upon factory 165gr or 180gr cartridges that you measured because of the bullet length and possibility of high pressures.

Also, 40SW has warnings about getting a tight crimp as the bullet can move backwards and cause high pressures.

First thing to try. Spend $10 and get a Lee factory crimp die. You will like the results.

-Dana

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try and polish everything first. I can't use a Lee crimp die because I'm reloading on a Dillon square deal and they use their own dies, smaller dies. If all else fails, I'm going to pull them and try to get a longer oal. Try 1.130-1.135. If that doesn't get it, I'll chuck the 200gr and get some of the 180 or maybe 135 from Midway.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Not shure what kind of bullets you like but Cabelas has a good deal on Berry's Plated 180gr.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Try the Lee sizing die or by an EGW undersized die. Your brass may have a little bulge near the bottom. I buy once fired nickel that is LE ammo. Always has the ' Glock Bulge' near the bottom. This is due to unsupported chamber.

Are you bullets consistent in width?? 200 grain is fine as long as you are using the right powder and a slower burning powder. Or a fast powder in very light target loads.

I had problems with my 646 revolver not feeding the brass and it was 2 things, OAL and the bulge at the bottom of the case. I reset my Lee die and took care of the problem.

Your 200 grain bullet if a TC (truncated cone) same OAL as a factory 180 TC. 1.175-1.150. I don't go any shorter than that due to pressure problems.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's unfortunate that Dillon chose to go with a nonstandard die set up for the Square Deal and that it is a 3 station set up as the Lee full length resizing die would fix the problem...

I suspect your XD has a tight chamber dimension....You might wish to take a Phosphor/bronze brush to the chamber and make sure there isn't deposits which are binding the cartriges....

Good luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
The bulge you are speaking of.... where the end of the bullet stops in the case... your bullet is not square with the case when you start seating it. On your expander die, set it to bell your case neck just a tad more and see if this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FWIW, I discoverd that it is the bullets. They measure .400 but for some reason when they are seated in the case they expand the case enough to not fit properly. I tried an empty case after resizing and it fit fine. After the bullet was added the case would only fit half way. I played with the oal and had to got all the way out to 1.170 to get it to fit the chamber, even then it was tight. Anyhow, the longer lenght would not fit the magazines. I've decide to junk those bullets and got some 165gr. bullets to try. I've loaded some and they already look better, no noticeable "bulge"

Thanks for the help.

Anyone interested in some 200gr. 10mm bullets? I'll make you a great deal.

·
Registered
119 Posts
In the newest Speer manual #13, they do not speak highly of 200 grainers in .40 for the same problems you mentioned- bulging the case out midway down. I would stick to 180gr. Besides, the ballistics suck for the 200gr.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also own the SDB press it is great but I load 40 on my Hornady LNL AP press with either the Hornady taper die or Lee FCD both work ok. Lee will fix Glocked brass.You can do what I have done in the past if you have one use a single stage press for crimp this way you can use the Lee die.You can pick up Hornady single press or RCBS Chucker pretty cheap in a garage
sale.Other alternative is to trash the Glock brass.
roc1

1 - 16 of 16 Posts