Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Technology Electronic device Electronic instrument Audio equipment Auto part
Need a little help and hope somebody can get me straightened out -

When reloading 556 NATO (LC) - 223 I use a EGW Chamber Checker . As you can see in the attached photo, one (loaded w/ bullet) case sits .003 higher. After the case is trimmed and resized it drops right into the chamber checker! After loading I get the results you can see, with the cartridge higher than it should be. Trimmed at 1.74” long and loaded to 2.20”. Still loads and ejects in my AR 15 ok, but this is driving me nuts.

I use is the full length resizing die (LEE). The die is tight against the brass in the press. Some of the brass drops into the chamber checker without a problem after loading!

What do you think I am doing wrong?

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
what is the base to shoulder or head space measurement?? keep that within chamber spec. That is why the rim is outside the chamber so far on the right casing. the shoulder is too long . overall length is different from headspace measurement. Without proper HS you risk all kinds of stuff happening from not functioning proper to case head separation after brass has become fatigued and possible bodily damage

Maybe use less lube during sizing to get more consistent . I use Lee dies without that kind of inconsistency. Is the die secure in the press?

also your brass will fail faster without proper HS. Hornady makes a cheap tool .

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Reloading :: Metallic Reloading :: Tools & Gauges :: Lock-N-Load Gauges-Formerly Stoney Point :: Headspace Gauges :: Headspace Gauge Kits

Or just turn your die in about .003 " worth to set the shoulder back to proper HS dimension . I would adjust the die and try it in the chamber checker until it sits right if you do not want to spend money on the tools. You can also push the shoulder back too far. the tools just make it exact and are a good investment

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is the base to shoulder or head space measurement?? keep that within chamber spec. That is why the rim is outside the chamber so far on the right casing. the shoulder is too long . overall length is different from headspace measurement. Without proper HS you risk all kinds of stuff happening from not functioning proper to case head separation after brass has become fatigued and possible bodily damage

Maybe use less lube during sizing to get more consistent . I use Lee dies without that kind of inconsistency. Is the die secure in the press?

The build up of lube could push th
Just started using the Hornady Unique Case Lube and am very scottish with it. I did a few rounds and started twisting the brass a half turn in the die after resizing the first time and it seemed to help. Die is tight and clean

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

also your brass will fail faster without proper HS. Hornady makes a cheap tool .

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Reloading :: Metallic Reloading :: Tools & Gauges :: Lock-N-Load Gauges-Formerly Stoney Point :: Headspace Gauges :: Headspace Gauge Kits

Or just turn your die in about .003 " worth to set the shoulder back to proper HS dimension . I would adjust the die and try it in the chamber checker until it sits right if you do not want to spend money on the tools. You can also push the shoulder back too far. the tools just make it exact and are a good investment
I use a Lyman head space gauge, will have to check the die and see what happens

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
yea it's definitely the headspace . 223/556 headspaces off the shoulder.
So when the rim protrudes out the back like that it is improper headspace causing that if you have them trimmed to 1.74"(eliminates the neck being the cause) . The area between the base of the case and the shoulder where it contacts the chamber is too long.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea it's definitely the headspace . 223/556 headspaces off the shoulder.
So when the rim protrudes out the back like that it is improper headspace causing that if you have them trimmed to 1.74"(eliminates the neck being the cause) . The area between the base of the case and the shoulder where it contacts the chamber is too long.
You are correct, it was headspace! Thanks for all of your help

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I use the rcbs x die to size. I had to turn the die down 1/8 turn AFTER contact with the shell plate on my 550. This is a very slight cam over affect, but needed to get the last 0.002-0.003" setback for the shoulder for 100% reliable sizing with range pickups or purchased once fired brass. Plus my ammo has to run in 4 diff ARs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use the rcbs x die to size. I had to turn the die down 1/8 turn AFTER contact with the shell plate on my 550. This is a very slight cam over affect, but needed to get the last 0.002-0.003" setback for the shoulder for 100% reliable sizing with range pickups or purchased once fired brass. Plus my ammo has to run in 4 diff ARs.
When Frebo responded back, I thought no way the die was that far off! When I pulled some bullets and re-adjusted the die, just a tad, it make the difference. I usually reload pistol and had not done that much rifle in the past few years. I use a Lyman T-Mag and just put on an extra turrent, which probably go me into my pickle. I want to thank everybody who responded back to me. Thanks again

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
When Frebo responded back, I thought no way the die was that far off! When I pulled some bullets and re-adjusted the die, just a tad, it make the difference. I usually reload pistol and had not done that much rifle in the past few years. I use a Lyman T-Mag and just put on an extra turrent, which probably go me into my pickle. I want to thank everybody who responded back to me. Thanks again
With a semi, there is little camming action so even 0.002" can make a diff in go or no go. In a bolt gun, you can crush that distance with the bolt pretty easily.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
A case gage like the EGW pictured or a Wilson is fine for adjusting the sizing die for shoulder bumping. You don't need to do any measuring. I always have to screw my sizing die in for a cam-over, in order to properly bump the shoulders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts