Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with some of the once fired brass being reloaded. It seems to mainly happen with Blazer brass (sometimes Federal), but can happen with others. I have/use the Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press with the Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set in 9mm.

The problem I'm having is that some case mouths aren't being shrunk or made smaller. The last action done to the case is the factory crimp and when done, I'm still able to push the bullet down into the case. As mentioned, this seems to mainly happen with Blazer Brass, but every now and again, another brand of brass will do the same.

I've followed the instructions and have set everything up. No issues with new and/or once-fired Winchester brass. I'm thinking it's the decapper die since it's supposed to do a full resize, but I've tightened that down as much as possible and it hasn't solved the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Are you loading Winchester Blazer and Federal all mixed together? I had the same problem waaay back when I started reloading 9mm and learned real fast to segregate brass and load only one brand of brass at once.

Segregate the troubled brass and readjust the dies to them cases and go at it then let us know how it worked out for ya......

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
If you are able to push the bullet down with your finger then you aren't resizing the brass. You should read a good reloading manual. The brass needs to go all the way into the die (as far as it will go) almost to the base. Don't stop when the primer pops out continue the the down stroke. How did you adjust the sizing die?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
You do NOT get case neck tension by crimping. You get it by proper dies setup correctly & good components. First mic some of your bullets, make sure they are all 0.355" or slightly larger. Then mc the expander in your die, it wants to be slightly smaller, 0.353"'-0.354" This will provide a good press fit for the bullet. Then make sure you do NOT over crimp. This can actually cause a loss of neck tension as the brass srpings away from the bullet slightly. There should be just enough crimp to move the case mouth flush after belling.
While I have no issues loading mixed brass in any handgun caliber, w/ jacketed bullets, some case are just thinner than others & you may nt get proper fir even if you are doing everything right. Those case brands & put aside forlead bullets or plated bullets running 0.001" larger.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you loading Winchester Blazer and Federal all mixed together? I had the same problem waaay back when I started reloading 9mm and learned real fast to segregate brass and load only one brand of brass at once.

Segregate the troubled brass and readjust the dies to them cases and go at it then let us know how it worked out for ya......
I didn't think it would matter as I thought the sizer would take care of it, but after having issues with Blazer brass, I've stuck with using the Winchester brass and putting the other brands aside. I'd like to use them, though, which is why I'm trying to find what the issue is. Everything is perfect with the Winchester brass.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are able to push the bullet down with your finger then you aren't resizing the brass. You should read a good reloading manual. The brass needs to go all the way into the die (as far as it will go) almost to the base. Don't stop when the primer pops out continue the the down stroke. How did you adjust the sizing die?
I have Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. Seemed appropriate since I bought all Lee components.

The brass is going all the way into the die. I reset everything again this weekend just to make sure I had done everything correctly (it'd been a while since I set things up). The shell holder touches and actually pushes the sizer/turrent up a little which means I can't get the case any more "in" the sizer. Likewise, the decapper clamp is as tight as I can get it. To me that means I can't get it any lower, but I haven't tried moving the decapper up to see if the clamp would move down.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You do NOT get case neck tension by crimping. You get it by proper dies setup correctly & good components. First mic some of your bullets, make sure they are all 0.355" or slightly larger. Then mc the expander in your die, it wants to be slightly smaller, 0.353"'-0.354" This will provide a good press fit for the bullet. Then make sure you do NOT over crimp. This can actually cause a loss of neck tension as the brass srpings away from the bullet slightly. There should be just enough crimp to move the case mouth flush after belling.

While I have no issues loading mixed brass in any handgun caliber, w/ jacketed bullets, some case are just thinner than others & you may nt get proper fir even if you are doing everything right. Those case brands & put aside forlead bullets or plated bullets running 0.001" larger.
Thanks. I'll have to check this.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Maybe it's as fred says and your bullets are undersized. Like I said you shouldn't be able to push the bullets in with your finger.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, and the reason I want to use all this brass is that I've been picking up my brass for at least a year now which includes Winchester, Blazer, Federal, etc.. The wife and I have gotten into defensive pistol shooting and our routine is to go to the range on Tuesday for practice/warm-up where we use new/factory ammo. We pick up the brass and I then reload so that we may use the brass again Thursday night during the shoot. Being that we have to keep moving, the brass on Thursday night is not picked up. I'd rather leave the once-fired brass rather than the cases from new ammo.

I've also bought/have thousands of pieces of Starline brass, but I definitely do not want to leave that behind on the Thursday night shoots. I've reloaded the Starline brass without issue.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I reload 9mm with mixed brass and have not run into your problem. When sizing/decapping you do feel a resistance all the way through and not just at the decapping part right?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Oh, and the reason I want to use all this brass is that I've been picking up my brass for at least a year now which includes Winchester, Blazer, Federal, etc.. The wife and I have gotten into defensive pistol shooting and our routine is to go to the range on Tuesday for practice/warm-up where we use new/factory ammo. We pick up the brass and I then reload so that we may use the brass again Thursday night during the shoot. Being that we have to keep moving, the brass on Thursday night is not picked up. I'd rather leave the once-fired brass rather than the cases from new ammo.

I've also bought/have thousands of pieces of Starline brass, but I definitely do not want to leave that behind on the Thursday night shoots. I've reloaded the Starline brass without issue.
If you are shooting in lost brass type matches, I would suggest you use range pickups or even (yuk) buy cheap factory ammo like Tula/Wolf. If you are leaving good brass behind, you are throwing away one of the most expensive parts of the reload. Even a once fired steel case can be reloaded once to give good results & then it's gone from your stockpile.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I use mixed brass let the base of the die hit and stop the ram its a tapered case even a small hold off will cause problems.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I didn't think it would matter as I thought the sizer would take care of it, but after having issues with Blazer brass, I've stuck with using the Winchester brass and putting the other brands aside. I'd like to use them, though, which is why I'm trying to find what the issue is. Everything is perfect with the Winchester brass.

I mostly used Winchester brass too. They make the best 9mm brass IMO. I always reset my dies for different brands of brass because I did run into troubles like you are. I would use different brands for different loads. It made it easier to tell what was practice ammo and match ammo too.

When you get a chance play around with the troubled brass and you should come up with a fix and thats great because you will be able to tell whats match ammo, and practice ammo by the brand of brass......

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I also load mixed brass, and I also use Lee dies. Never had any problems with neck tension. Something's out-of-spec.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It may just be the die is not sizing the cases enough. How much case mouth belling are you applying to the case?? Too much belling might cause your issue as well. Try pushing on the bullet just after you seat the bullet, but before the crimping stage. As mentioned too much crimp may loosen the neck tension. If the bullet moves in the case before you've crimped it at all, you eliminate the crimping as the cause.....then you are either dealing with a spec. issue on the sizing die or the bullets. I suppose the cases being too thin walled coud be a cause as well.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The last action done to the case is the factory crimp and when done, I'm still able to push the bullet down into the case. As mentioned, this seems to mainly happen with Blazer Brass, but every now and again, another brand of brass will do the same.
Back the FC die out and use it just to remove the belling of the case mouth. There should be no reason to resize the entire case or squeeze the bullet once the round is loaded.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Not going to read back through the entire thread, so this might have already been said...overcrimping will cause a loss of neck tension.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
The bullet must be under sized or the case not resized there is no way that, if the bullet was the correct size and the case was fully sized, that you can push the bullet in with your finger. The case is resized to a smaller diameter than the bullet for a 9mm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts