Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for a close range plinker, could one have a lighter mainspring installed and reload with minimal powder to duplicate a 45acp? Or what should I do if this was even feasable?
Id like to hear any input other than "why would I want to", I just do.
:)

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
How light you can load depends on the model you have. With the 4.5, you can buy lighter recoil spring sets from Wolff. Get a three spring set (and guide rod if required) so you have some variance in loads. Check the The Ammo Can for suggested reloads. The 3.8 model, you are only able to load down to what the factory spring set will stil cycle reliably.

Use the spent brass throw distance as a guide to matching load to spring weight. A 147gr bullet can be loaded lighter (slower) than the light ones. Or you can buy subsonic 9mm commercial ammo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for not being specific, yea its a 3.8 compact. And im kinda looking for the subsonic(ish) loadings.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
The stock recoil spring is designed for a wide variation in ammo, it should function with commercial subsonic ammo in 147gr. Buy a box and try it. Its not going to harm the pistol or squib in the barrel. Worst case is it won't function the slide open enough to reliably load the next round. Or if you reload, just start working your charges down until reliability drops and then go back up a grain or so on the powder. Stay with the heaviest bullet you can get. Don't know of any aftermarket springs for the 3.8.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Fiocchi sells a 158 gr. subsonic round that I use in my XDM. Works fine and less muzzle flip......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts